Neurology in Africa
Africa is a vast continent and neurological disorders are a common cause of disability and death. This practical neurology textbook is specifically written for Sub-Saharan Africa by Dr. William Howlett.
- Download the complete Neurology in Africa book here (PDF - 50MB)
- For separate chapters, see list to the right of this website.
- Article on the release of the book:
"Free online textbook on neurology"
Author William Howlett is Irish, but has spent much of his professional life as a physician and educator for patients and medical students at the Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre in Tanzania.
“Neurology in Africa” is based on a compendium Dr. Howlett made for his students in Tanzania. This gradually developed into a textbook.
Dr. William Howlett
BRIC, Bergen 2012
The book was published in September 2012.
Last updated 2.10.2012
- Introduction and Preface (PDF-fil, 473 Kb)
- CH 1 History and Examination (PDF-fil, 1 Mb)
- CH 2 Localization (PDF-fil, 1 Mb)
- CH 3 Public Health (PDF-fil, 555 Kb)
- CH 4 Epilepsy (PDF-fil, 2 Mb)
- CH 5 Stroke (PDF-fil, 2 Mb)
- CH 6 Neurological Infections (PDF-fil, 4 Mb)
- CH 7 Protozoal and Helminthic Infections (PDF-fil, 7 Mb)
- CH 8 Neurological Illness in HIV Disease (PDF-fil, 8 Mb)
- CH 9 Coma and Transient Loss of Consciousness (PDF-fil, 651 Kb)
- CH 10 Paraplegia non Traumatic (PDF-fil, 3 Mb)
- CH 11 Disorders of Peripheral Nerves (PDF-fil, 7 Mb)
- CH 12 Cranial Nerve Disorders (PDF-fil, 3 Mb)
- CH 13 Myopathies and Myasthenia Gravis (PDF-fil, 1 Mb)
- CH 14 Movement Disorders and Motor Neurone Disease (PDF-fil, 1 Mb)
- CH 15 Headache and Facial Pain (PDF-fil, 521 Kb)
- CH 16 Intracranial Tumours (PDF-fil, 4 Mb)
- CH 17 Dementia (PDF-fil, 939 Kb)
- CH 18 Inherited Neurological Disorders (PDF-fil, 3 Mb)
- CH 19 Head and Spinal Injury (PDF-fil, 1 Mb)
- CH 20 Care in Neurology (PDF-fil, 591 Kb)
- Index, Abbreviations and Useful Websites (PDF-fil, 756 Kb)