Welcoming international students
– We are hoping to give our international students a gentle start to the new student year, says Vivien Aamodt.
Aamodt is responsible for the planning and organisation of the international student introductory programme.
The new students will start the semester with a reception lasting two days. Most of the two hundred international students come from Europe through the Erasmus exchange programme, while some come to UiB through other exchange programmes.
Introducing student life
During the two days, the international students will be introduced to Norwegian culture, the university and the city, among other things. The aim of the Introductory Programme is to give all new international students an introduction to various aspects of being a student in Bergen and Norway through lectures and practical information.
– On the first day, the students meet and we have a formal welcome greeting by Vice-Rector for international students Astri Andresen, says Aamodt.
Tour of the campus
After the reception, participants from some of the student organisations, such as NSU (Norwegian Student Union) and SIB (Bergen Student Welfare Organisation), will inform the new students about their organisations and their work. Representatives from different faculties at UiB will also participate.
– We encourage the representatives from the faculties to take their students on a tour of the campus. This is because the students need to get to know the university and find their way around, says Ms Aamodt.
Surviving in Bergen
On the second day, there will be various lectures about life in Bergen and the university.
One of the speakers is Roger Strand, who will give the lecture ‘Survival guide’. This presentation informs students about their rights and duties as students at the University of Bergen.
Meeting new students
– The most important thing is that, after this two-day introduction, the students should know their way around the campus, says Aamodt.
– We also recommend that they register in our system, so that they have access to the facilities.
Last updated 8.12.2009
Nyheter fra Education
- Ready for a new semester? (24.11.2011)
- Medical Centre offers medical services to students and international employees (01.12.2011)
- First time skiing (30.03.2010)
- Starting studies in beautiful winter weather (13.01.2010)