Mål og innhald
More than a billion individuals, mostly in low and middle income countries, live on less than $1.25 a day. The aim of this course is to broadly address the question: why are poor countries poor? In particular, we seek to identify both features of the organization of a poor economy as well as its external environment that could generate, perpetuate, and alleviate poverty at the macro-level. A mix of theoretical and empirical studies are utilised for this purpose. Among other topics, the following are highlighted:
- What are the relationships among growth, inequality, and poverty?
- What are the empirical patterns of growth?
- What are the deep determinants of economic development?
A candidate who has completed his or her qualification should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- Has an understanding of the long-run drivers of differences in income levels across countries
- Can outline the main patterns of development in the world in recent decades
- Is able to explain how to measure poverty and inequality as well as how these phenomena influence and are influenced by economic growth
- Can provide an overview of major structural characteristics of poor economies
- Knows the big picture in terms of financial flows to and from developing countries
- Understands important drivers behind international economic migration
- Has the ability to formulate precise and relevant problems within development economics
- Is able to investigate, analyze, and present topical issues within the field
- Master analytical methods in the form of relevant economic models
- Can acquire and develop further knowledge and skills within the field
A good knowledge of economics is recommended
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
There is one assignment in the course that is obligatory. The assignment is to be graded approved or not approved. The grade for the course is based on the written examination provided that the students have passed the assignment. Approved compulsory requirements do not have time limits.
4 hours written exam.
Tillatne hjelpemiddel til eksamen:
Matematisk formelsamling av K Sydsæter, A. Strøm og P. Berck, formelsamling i matematikk av Utdanningsdirektoratet og kalkulator. Berre følgjande enkle, ikkje-programmerbare kalkulatorar utan grafisk display vert tillete brukt ved skriftlege prøvar:
Alle modellar av typane:
- Casio FX-82
- Hewlett-Packard HP30
- Texas instruments TI-30
Institutt for økonomi kan gjennomføre stikkprøvar av hjelpemidla i eksamenslokalet.
All the courses at the Department of Economics are evaluated at the end of each semester.
Department of Economics
Tlf: +47 55 58 92 26
Klokkeslett for oppstart av skoleeksamen kan endre seg fra kl 09.00 til 15.00 eller vice versa inntil 14 dager før eksamen. Eksamenslokale publiseres 14 dager før eksamen.
- 13.06.2018, 09:00
- 4 timer