Mål og innhald
The purpose of the course is to give students an understanding of the distinctiveness of human geography and the human geographical perspective on the world. The course will provide theoretical and methodological insights based on theories and cases from human geographical research.
The course will focus on processes of change linked to climate and energy in cities and local communities with a particular point of departure in human geographical perspectives on place, space and scale. In this way, the students will become familiar with current processes of change and contestation at different scales and the forces behind changes in place, related to planning, resources and energy, environment and the climate, economic development, innovation and production of meaning. Through examples given in lectures, students will also be acquainted with contemporary challenges for the development of sustainable cities and communities.
On completion of the course the student should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- can outline different human geographical approaches and ground these in the theoretical and historical foundation of the discipline.
- can outline and discuss processes of change at different scales and the forces of change in places.
- can outline and discuss contemporary challenges for vital cities other urban and non-urban areas.
- can elaborate on planning as a tool for sustainable urban and non-urban development.
- is able to use relevant theory in the analysis of empirical cases.
- can apply place, space and scale as concepts to analyze society.
Krav til forkunnskapar
Krav til studierett
Open for all students at the Univesity of Bergen
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
1-2 lectures á 2 hours pr. week
Total: 10-12 lectures.
1 seminar á 2 hours pr. week.
Total: 6-8 seminars
Student paper, 30% of grade
Written exam 5 hours, 70% of grade
GEO221 will be evaluated minimum every third semester.
Vurderingsordning: Semesteroppgåve og skriftleg eksamen (Ny eksamen)
Eksamensdel: Skriftleg eksamen
- Digital eksamen