Teaching through the learning platform Mitt UiB.
Mål og innhald
Give the student an introduction to current theories on environment and development. Create an in-depth understanding of important research themes within development geography and environmental geography, often of relevance for the master thesis.
The course is based upon research within the fields of environment and development and aims to stimulate critical perspectives on established knowledge and 'facts' that have dominated development strategies/policies. Myths and narratives about themes like climate change, deforestation, desertification and erosion are analyzed in light of theory of science where knowledge is viewed as socially constructed. Conventional views concerning land degradation are challenged in light of new ecology and political ecology. In the interaction between people and nature, institutions are important different groups¿ access to and governance of natural resources. The course is concerned with knowledge about power relations in the encounter between local communities and global discourses and institutions.
On completion of the course the student should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- Demonstrates advanced understanding of how narratives and discourses on environmental management and development theory and practice may represent social constructions and underlying power structures, and how this shapes conventional thinking and policy making in the theoretical fields.
- analyzes and reflects independently upon how knowledge about complex problems are constructed and represented in academic sciences and in other power arenas.
- critically and actively uses literature and other sources in the presentation and discussion of environment- and development problems through the supervised writing of essays and participation in debates.
- analyzes general discourses and narratives.
- can apply critical approaches to new thematic fields.
- can communicate and contribute to alternative approaches and understandings of environmental and development problems.
- can apply correct academic writing and referencing techniques.
Krav til forkunnskapar
Bachelor in geography, development studies or equivalent. Basic skills in the use of a computer and the Internet.
Krav til studierett
Ope for masterstudentar uavhengig av program, men har avgrensa tal på plasser. Studentar ved Masterprogrammet i Development Geography og Masterprogrammet i geografi vil bli prioritert. Emnet er obligatorisk for Masterstudenter i Development Geography. GEO337 er eit særemne. Det kan difor inngå i det obligatorisk kravet om to særemne i Master i geografi.
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
This is a Web-based course.
- 7-8 online written lectures (Sessions)
- 3-4 online assignments with supervision
- Online debate
- Online role play
- Film seminars for students in Bergen
Participation in online debates and online role play.
Portfolio with 3 essays and one online home exam. One joint grade will be given.
GEO335 - 5 ects
GEO336 - 5 ects
Department of Geography evaluates a third of its course portfolio each semester. GEO337 will therefore be evaluated at least every third time the course is offered.
Department of Geography
Vurderingsordning: Mappeevaluering med hjemmeeksamen
- 23.03.2018, 14:00
- Digital eksamen