The Social Web
Mål og innhald
The course introduces students to theories about and technologies for the social web, with applications such as community building, mass collaboration, social networking, blogging, and social gaming. The aim is to give students a thorough understanding of social web technologies and social network services and their application, including issues such as privacy, ethics, trust, reputation, and addiction. Topics to be addressed include the history of the social web, social navigation, social network theory, diffusion of technology and participation. Finally, the course will investigate the power of social technology by examining uses such as social justice, marketing and political change.
Upon completion of the course the student should be able to:
- present important theories relevant to the social web.
- demonstrate theoretical knowledge of social technology.
- explain about privacy, ethics, trust and reputation in the use of social technologies.
- demonstrate theoretical knowledge of the power of social technology.
- demonstrate familiarity with a broad range of social technologies.
- describe and explain basic concepts of the social web.
- compare and contrast different social technologies.
- analyze and evaluate social technologies.
- use social technologies for various purposes.
Krav til forkunnskapar
INFO100 or equivalent
Krav til studierett
Undervisningsformer og omfang av organisert undervisning
12-16 two-hour lectures, 10-16 two-hour seminars
There will be mandatory assignments which must be completed and approved.
Mandatory participation: Attendance at mandatory labs (at least 80%).
- Two semester assignments, individual and/or group based (30% each)
- Group project (40%)
Letter grade (A-F).
INFO115 overlaps 5 ECTS with INFO114
The course is evaluated by students every three years, and by the responsible lecturer
Department of Information Science and Media Studies