Spring, everyother year. Next time, spring 2019. Limited capacity. More info: http://www.uib.no/en/matnat/53431/admission-courses-limited-capacity
Objectives and Content
The course will give students an introduction to diversity in vascular plants with emphasis on systematics and evolution. Revision of evolutionary kinship and morphological characteristics of the most important vascular plant groups including cultivated crops.There will be special emphasis on crops. Students will gain practical experience in basic molecular and phylogenetic methods.
After completing the course the students will:
* Understand and describe plant diversity, evolution, classification and distribution.
* Understand and describe plant morphology from an evolutionary and systematic perspective.
* Recognize and name a selection of families and important plant groups.
* Perform molecular systematic work and easier phylogenetic analysis.
* Perform botanical fieldwork and collection of material.
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Compulsory subjects of bachelor's in biology
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Laboratary exerercises (morphology and molecular), oral presentation and field trips, inclusive data collecting.
Forms of Assessment
Portfolio assessment. The following are included in the portfolio:
- Approved lab journals.
- Approved projectwork
- Presentation of vascular plant ggroups
Each part counts 25%.
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Type of assessment: Portfolio assesment
- Withdrawal deadline