Every second autumn semester, next time autumn 2018.
Limited capacity. More info: http://www.uib.no/en/matnat/53431/admission-courses-limited-capacity
Objectives and Content
Through lectures, seminars, and laboratory activities, including fine anatomical dissections and both optical and scanning electron microscopy, students will become familiar with the character traits that provide the basis for the division of the animal kingdom and with the latest developments on the evolutionary relationships of phyla resulting from novel molecular phylogenetics studies.
- Shall become familiar with the morphology and anatomy of the different phyla and how they are adapted to the living environment.
- Shall acquire a broad knowledge on taxonomy and phylogeny of marine animals, from sponges to protochordates.
- Shall learn about the concepts and terms that underlie phylogenetic classifications and hypotheses.
- Shall learn basic anatomical dissection and drawing techniques.
- Shall gain insights into the potential of electron microscopy techniques for morphological and evolutionary studies of animals.
- Shall develop capacities of reading and be critical towards scientific literature (papers).
- Shall learn how to organize, structure, and put together an oral communication.
- Shall be able to argue about the diversity, relationships and evolution of the Metazoa tree-of-life.
- Shall become acquainted with the dynamic of the scholar process that underlies the "making" of Science.
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Compulsory parts of bachelor in biology
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Laboratory course. Approved mandatory activities are valid for 6 semesters.
Forms of Assessment
Approved laboratory report (35%) + seminar (15%) + written exam (50%).
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam. The exam location will be published 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Portfolio assesment and written examinat
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam