Semester of Instruction
Objectives and Content
1. To provide an introduction to the philosophy of science and research ethics.
2. To provide an introduction to scientific reasoning, to basic science dilemmas and to scientific approaches with particular relevance for the different study tracks.
The student should be able to account for:
- The content of central traditions within the philosophy of science.
- Basic research tools within the philosophy of science (the understanding of central concepts, classifications and principles of logic).
- The content of relevant principles and guidelines within research ethics.
The student should be able to:
- Critically analyze and discuss epistemological dilemmas encountered within own practical field (research track)
- Reflect on the production of knowledge within own practical field
- Critically assess scientific papers with respect to their philosophy of science perspective(s).
- Assess research ethical and societal challenges related to one¿s own professional field.
- Exercise research-ethical judgments pertaining to concrete research projects.
Teaching Methods and Extent of Organized Teaching
The course will consist of a 2-week period of lectures and group work.
10-days of essay writing only for students registering for examination in HELVIT300.
- Plenary lectures Seminars with targeting of specific study tracks
- Group work
The students will have to write an essay on maximum 7 pages (with font 12). Maximum 3 students can write an essay together (each person's contribution will then have to be accounted for in the reflection note)
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Min. 80% attendance on lectures and seminars, and active participation in group.
Test - coursework requirements for all students
Forms of Assessment
Essay and reflection note e (regarding the writing of the essay)
- 5 to 7 pages, including references (font 12, line spacing 1,5).
Pass / Fail
A reading list will be found on Mitt UiB
Type of assessment: Take-home examination
- Submission deadline
- 25.09.2017, 14:00
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam