Objectives and Content
The optimization problems considered in the course are from natural sciences, technology, and from economy, where the aim is to distribute limited resources on competing activities. Mathematical formulation of the optimization problems are of prime interest. We consider linear and integer optimization problems, network problems, and nonlinear optimization problems. We also discuss basic solution techniques and their computer implementations.
Upon completion of INF170 Modeling and Optimization, the student is supposed to be able to
- explain what an optimization problem is
- explain the fundamental properties of an optimization problem
- describe various types of linear optimization problems
- formulate and solve simple mathematical models for optimal allocation of scarce resources.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Forms of Assessment
3 hours written exam. It is opportunity for grades on exercises, which can be included in the final grade. If convenient, examination will be oral.
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
I170: 10 credits
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam. The exam location will be published 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 14.02.2018, 09:00
- 3 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), Eksamenslokale 2. etg.