Level of Study
Semester of Instruction
Objectives and Content
The course introduces the principles of logic-based knowledge representation and reasoning, as well as other important symbolic approaches to representing and reasoning about knowledge such as production systems, frames, taxonomies and Kripke models. How to represent different sorts of knowledge, such as uncertain or incomplete knowledge, knowledge about action and change, and knowledge about default situations, is discussed. Various types of reasoning are discussed, such as logical entailment, explanation and planning.
Upon completion of the course the student should be able to:
- demonstrate command of theoretical knowledge about principles for logic-based representation and reasoning.
- demonstrate a basic understanding of production systems, frames, inheritance systems and approaches to handling uncertain or incomplete knowledge.
- demonstrate a basic understanding of principles for reasoning with respect to explanation and planning.
- analyze and design knowledge based systems intended for computer implementation.
- demonstrate a broad understanding of how knowledge based systems work which provides a solid foundation for further studies and for assessing when knowledge based approaches to problem solving are appropriate.
Recommended Previous Knowledge
INFO102 or equivalent. Solid background in programming.
Access to the Course
Teaching Methods and Extent of Organized Teaching
Lectures, seminars and data labs, normally 2 + 2 hours per week for 12-15 weeks.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
There will be mandatory assignments which must be completed and approved.
Mandatory participation: Attendance at mandatory seminars and labs (at least 80%).
Forms of Assessment
4 hour written exam (100%)
The grading system has a descending scale from A to E for passes and F for fail.
INFO282 overlaps 10 ECTS with INFO281.
INFO282 is evaluated by students every three years, by the department every year.
Type of assessment: Written Exam
- 08.03.2017, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Stein Rokkans hus, Seminarrom 1205