Objectives and Content
The course includes initial and boundary value problems for PDEs of first and second order, and includes, to a limited extent, systems of such equations. Emphasis is on the qualitative behaviour of solutions.
After completing the course, students will be able to:
- Derive partial differential equations from physical principles.
- Understand the qualitative differences between elliptic, parabolic and hyperbolic equations.
- Understand what kind of combinations of boundary conditions and initial values gives well-posed problems.
- Understand and write simple mathematical proofs.
- Apply theorems showing convergence of functions in different norms.
Required Previous Knowledge
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Forms of Assessment
Written exam. It may be oral examination if less than 20 students attend the course.
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Type of assessment: Oral examination
- Withdrawal deadline