Semester of Instruction
Objectives and Content
The course includes initial and boundary value problems for PDEs of first and second order, and includes, to a limited extent, systems of such equations. Emphasis is on the qualitative behaviour of solutions.
After completing the course, students will be able to:
- Derive partial differential equations from physical principles.
- Understand the qualitative differences between elliptic, parabolic and hyperbolic equations.
- Understand what kind of combinations of boundary conditions and initial values gives well-posed problems.
- Understand and write simple mathematical proofs.
- Apply theorems showing convergence of functions in different norms.
Required Previous Knowledge
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Forms of Assessment
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Type of assessment: Oral examination
- Withdrawal deadline