Semester of Instruction
Objectives and Content
An introduction to an industrial numerical code for flow of oil, gas and water in a reservoir. Special emphasis on geometry, fluid property, wells and oil production in a numerical model.
After completed course, the students are expected to be able to:
- Explain the different parameters that influence three phase flow in a reservoir, and how these parameters are modeled in a reservoir simulator.
- Set up an ECLIPSE data file with correct syntax
- Analyze the results from ECLIPSE simulations by graphic post processing software.
- Explain mathematical / physical models for fluid description, equilibration initialization, wells, and faults, including their representation in ECLIPSE.
- Explain some numerical methods that are used by simulators, and procedures for solving large non-linear systems of equations.
- Explain convergence control in simulation, including automatic and manual time step control.
Required Previous Knowledge
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Forms of Assessment
Oral examination and semester assignment
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
MAT257: 5 ECTS