Semester of Instruction
Objectives and Content
This course gives an overview of modern molecular biology with emphasis on chemical, genetic and evolutionary aspects of biological processes. An introduction to the following topics will be given: structure and organization of prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells, model organisms, genetics, biomolecules, protein structure, enzymology, metabolism, bioenergy, photosynthesis, replication, transcription, translation, nutrition, disease and health, biotechnology and methods applies in molecular biology. The focus is on the key principles of molecular biology and processes that different organisms share.
- can describe the most commonly used model organisms in molecular biology research
- can explain key concepts and ideas in molecular biology
- can explain the composition of essential structures found in prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells and describe their functions
- can describe in a simple way the structure of different types of macromolecules and explain their function
- can explain in a simple way how DNA, RNA and proteins are being synthesized and describe how gene expression is regulated in cells
- can describe how the cells use and generate energy
- can describe in a simple way the principles behind basic methods in molecular biology and cell biology
- can apply key concepts and ideas in molecular biology
- can analyze and interpret simple experiments in cell- and molecular biology
- can communicate knowledge in basic cell- and molecular biology
- can reflect on ethical issues raised by molecular biology research
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
2 mandatory colloquia.
Obligatory activities are valid for total six semesters.
Forms of Assessment
Written exam (3 h) and 2 written midterm evaluations. Exam counts 80 % and midterm evaluations 20 % of final grade.
Examination support materials: Non
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
MOL101: 5 sp.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 02.10.2017, 09:00
- 3 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), Eksamenslokale 4. etg.