Objectives and Content
The course aims to give understanding of principles for regulation of metabolic pathways in cells and organs
The course gives a introduction to transport over membranes and signal transduction, properties of proteins and enzymes and sugar and lipid biochemistry. Emphasis is placed on a deeper understanding of bioenergetics and key metabolic pathways.. Aspects about organ-specific metabolism are covered using selected examples that particularly refer to the endocrine system.
On completion of the course the student should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- Can explain basic principles for folding of proteins and how enzymes work.
- Can describe structure of membranes, roads for transport and principles for signal transduction.
- Can describe principles for bioenergetics in metabolic paths.
- Can describe main metabolic pathways for turnover of amino acids, carbohydrates and lipids and how they are regulated.
- Can explain basic principles in endocrine regulation of metabolism.
- Can update his/her knowledge within the field of molecular biology
- is able to use central concepts within bioenergetics and metabolism
- is able to find, evaluate and refer to the literature of the field and can use this to enlighten a question in metabolism
- can communicate scientific literature through scientific writing and oral presentation
Required Previous Knowledge
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
The first two colloquiums are compulsory. Written assignment (counts 20 % of the final grade). Oral presentation of the assignment. Compulsory activities are valid for six semesters.
Forms of Assessment
Written assignment (20 %) and written exam 4 hours.
Examination support materials: None
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam. The exam location will be published 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Term paper and written examinat
- 12.02.2018, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), Eksamenslokale 2. etg.