Semester of Instruction
Objectives and Content
The course aims to give detailed understanding of eukaryotic cells with main focus on the functions of subcellular structures and regulatory mechanisms involved in cell communication and cell division.
The course covers topics such as protein secretion, endocytosis, cytoskeleton, intracellular transport, cell communication, cell adhesion, tissues, cell cycle, apotosis, nerve signaling, stem cells and cancer. Molecular and experimental understanding will be emphasized.
On completion of the course the student should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- can explain essential functions in the cell and how they are associated with subcellular structures.
- can describe sorting and secretion of proteins and explain the processes in molecular terms.
- can describe the composition of the different parts of the cytoskeleton and how they function.
- can explain cell communication in molecular terms and compare different types of signaling.
- can describe the properties of proteins that have important functions in cell adhesion.
- can explain important steps in cell cycle regulation and how these can be connected to cancer development.
- can describe the special properties of nerve cells and how they communicate.
- can describe the properties of embryonic stem cells and other types of stem cells.
- can update his/her knowledge in molecular biology
- can reflect on ethical issues raised by molecular biology research
- is able to use important concepts and principles in molecular cell biology.
- Is able to evaluate possible links between certain diseases (e.g. cancer) and errors in cellular mechanisms.
- can communicate detailed knowledge in cell biology.
Recommended Previous Knowledge
MOL100/MOL101 or equivalent (Introduction to Molecular Biology, 10 ECTS).
Forms of Assessment
Written exam (4 hours)
Examination support materials: Non
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 27.09.2017, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), Eksamenslokale 2. etg.