Objectives and Content
The course gives a detailed understanding of molecular structure and function of the genetic material in prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells.
This course deals with the structure of DNA, RNA and chromatin and how maintenance of the genome through replication, repair and recombination occurs. In addition, focus is on genome expression through gene regulation, transcription, RNA splicing and translation. Gene technology methods used in studies of biological mechanisms and structures will be presented.
On completion of the course the student should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- can explain DNA structure and topology, RNA structure, chromatin organization and modification with emphasis on function in gene regulation.
- can explain in detail about replication, transcription and translation
- can explain recombination and how DNA damage is created, recognized and repaired
- can explain in detail about molecular mechanisms in gene regulation at all levels
- can compare molecular mechanisms in gene regulation in pro-and eukaryotic organisms
- can update his/her knowledge in molecular biology
- can reflect on ethical issues raised by molecular biology research
- can communicate knowledge about chromatin and gene regulation
- has the skill to compare molecular mechanisms in gene regulation to show similarities and differences between pro- and eukaryotic organisms
- reads, discusses and communicates relevant scientific literature
Required Previous Knowledge
Basic knowledge in molecular biology.
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Forms of Assessment
Written exam 4 hours.
Examination support materials: Non
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Department og Biological Sciences, e-mail: email@example.com
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam. The exam location will be published 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 19.02.2018, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), Eksamenslokale 3. etg.