Objectives and Content
The course aims to deepen the knowledge acquired in basic lipid biochemistry and to further understand the properties of lipids at the chemical, molecular and biological levels that contribute to cellular function and diseases.
The course covers the following main areas: properties and function of membrane and intracellular lipids, the biochemical and biological significance of lipid-protein interactions, advanced lipid methodology and lipid-related diseases
On completion of the course the student should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- can explain phospholipid biosynthetic and catabolic pathways
- can explain methods of lipid analysis
- can describe and understand how lipid assemble into membranes and accommodate for trans-membrane proteins
- can explain lipid-protein interactions at membranes and their functions
- can describe lipid modification of proteins chemically and functionally
- can explain lipid-mediated signaling and its role in cellular processes
- can describe different lipid-mediated diseases at the molecular level
- is able to apply new knowledge and principles to understand molecular mechanisms of normal cellular processes and lipid-related diseases
- to participate and to report in a small team provided question-based assignments
The student can demonstrate advanced knowledge in lipid biochemistry and is able to apply it in a wider biochemical and biological context
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Written semester exercise counting for 25 % of the total mark.
Forms of Assessment
Semester exercise (25 %) and written exam of 4 hours (75 %).
Examination support materials: Non
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Department og Biological Sciences, e-mail: email@example.com
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam. The exam location will be published 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 21.02.2018, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), Eksamenslokale 3. etg.