Concert Performance II
- ECTS credits15
- Teaching semesterSpring
- Course codeMUV311
- Number of semesters1
- LanguageBoth English and Norwegian are used as language of instruction. Individual tuition will be given in either language depending on the student. The language of instruction during seminars/group tuition might vary depending on the combination of languages in the student group.
Level of Study
Semester of Instruction
Place of Instruction
Objectives and Content
The aim of the course unit is for the student to further develop his/her performance experience and competence. The course unit consists of two parts.
1. Preparation for a concert performance of at least 35 minutes. The performance repertoire may include both solo pieces and chamber music. If the student has the opportunity, he/she may perform with an orchestra or an ensemble of high professional quality. If this is the case, an agreement will have to be made with the student¿s principal instrument tutor and the course coordinator. Alternatively, both the MUV310 and MUV311 concerts may be combined into one concert of at least 70 minutes (2x35 minutes) in the spring semester (normally 2nd semester)
2. Participation in group instrumental lessons, ensemble activity (orchestral practise, sinfonietta, chamber orchestra etc.) and department projects. Details will be given at the start of each semester.
The student should be able to:
- Display independence in rehearsing a repertoire.
- Realize and convey his/her musical intentions with a high level of musicianship.
- Work interactively in a instrumental/ vocal ensemble, and perform at a high level
Required Previous Knowledge
Access to the Course
Master's Programme in Music Performance or Composition
Teaching Methods and Extent of Organized Teaching
Individual tuition is given by the student¿s principal instrument tutor (and accompanist if required) throughout the semester. Other instrumental/vocal tutors or other ensemble leaders/ conductors may give group tuition.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
- All tuition is compulsory. The student will normally lose the right to take the final course unit exam if he/she has an absence exceeding 20%.
Approved compulsory requirements are valid for two semesters after the ordinarily scheduled exam semester.
Forms of Assessment
A concert of at least 35 minutes, that is to be held during the semester. The repertoire cannot include pieces already assessed. The concert is assessed by at least two internal examiners, of whom one is the student¿s principal instrument tutor.
The student must hand in an individual MUV310/MUV311 performance proposal form no later than 5 weeks before the concert. The student¿s principal instrument tutor must approve the performance place, date and repertoire. The student may under special circumstances have an audio recording of his/her performance assessed. This must be approved by the principal instrument tutor and programme coordinator in advance.
Pass or fail
Evaluation is carried out regularly as a dialogue between the principal instrument tutor and the student.
Faculty of Fine Art, Music and Design, The Grieg Academy - Departement of Music: email@example.com
Note that the time may change up until 14 days prior to the day of the examination. The location will be published 14 days ahead.
Type of assessment: Concert