Semester of Instruction
Spring. Limited capasity.
Place of Instruction
Objectives and Content
This course includes the physical and chemical scientific basis for nanotechnology, emphasizing the relationship between atomic interactions and the structure of different types of nano aggregates. A number of characterisation methods are presented, including: Basic X-ray diffraction, wave-based microscopies (optical, electron), scanning probe microscopies (scanning tunnelling (STM) and atomic force (AFM) microscopies), and spectroscopy. Top-down approaches for preparing nanostructures will be presented. The course also demonstrates how the development of new instrumentation lays the grounds for nanotechnological applications, with perspectives on the future developments of the field.
On successful completion of this course students should be able to:
- Discuss the scientific basis for nanotechnology.
- Relate the nanostructure of a material to its properties.
- Describe top-down approaches to the preparation of nanostructures.
- Identify and describe physical principles and practical aspects of selected techniques for characterizing the nanostructure of materials.
- On the basis of a material's properties and requirements with respect to resolution, magnification and chemical speciation.
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Written answers to selected assignments. These obligatory reports do not contribute to the final grading.
Laboratory exercises with written reports. The lab reports contribute to the final grading.
Forms of Assessment
1. Written laboratory reports (25%)
The journal after each laboratory exercise is assessed on the basis of passed/failed. The laboratory part of NANO161 is assessed in the entirety of the laboratory journals based on the grading scale A-F.
2. 4h written exam (accounts for 75 % of the final grade).
Allowed aid during the exam: simple pocket calculator.
Mandatory activities are valid in two subsequent terms following the approval term.
The grading scale used is A to F, where F is fail.
Regular exam each semester.
Administrative coordinator for nanotechnology.
Phone: + 47 55 58 34 46.
Type of assessment: Written exam and practical
- 28.09.2017, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), Eksamenslokale 3. etg.