Semester of Instruction
Objectives and Content
The course deals with covariant quantization of the Klein-Gordon field, the Dirac field and the photon field. Gauge invariance and the S-matrix are discussed. The emphasis is on Quantum Electrodynamics, QED. The course gives a basis for calculating and understanding simple collision and particle production cross sections in quantized electrodynamics. It is the basis for PHYS343.
After completing this course, the students should be able to
- give the Fourier expansions of scalar, Dirac and the photon fields,
- explain field quantization,
- explain symmetries and conservation laws in the Lagrangian formalism,
- explain the Feynman propagator and Feynman rules,
- explain regularization and renormalization,
- calculate cross sections for simple processes.
Required Previous Knowledge
Minimum 60 ECTS in physics.
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Forms of Assessment
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Type of assessment: Oral examination
- Withdrawal deadline