Semester of Instruction
Objectives and Content
The course consists of two parts. The petroleum technology part describes basic geology, hydrocarbon systems, introduction to petroleum exploration, fluid flow properties of oil and gas and production technology.
The process technology includes gas processing, transport, instrumentation, safety, multiphase and powder technology. Excursions to Hydro Sandsli, Mongstad og Kolsnes.
After the course PTEK100 the student will be able to:
- describe how oil and gas are formed, found, produced, transported and processed
- describe basic geology, hydrocarbon systems, petroleum exploration, production technology and the flow properties of oil and gas in a porous medium
- estimate the hydrocarbon content and the production capacity of a reservoir by using a simple analytical reservoir model
- describe the transport and processing facilities for oil and gas, with an emphasis on instrumentation, multi-phase, separation and safety technology
- solve simple problems related to pipe flow and heat transfer
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Matematikk 1+2, Fysikk 1 og Kjemi 1.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
2 exercises and 3 excursions. These are valid for 7 semester.
Forms of Assessment
2 hours "multiple choice" exam with letter grades. No aids allowed. Exam only in the fall semester.
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 2 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam