Semester of Instruction
Objectives and Content
The subject introduces multiphase systems in the processing industry. The course includes: momentum transport in and between continuous (fluid) and disperse (bubbles, drops or particles) phases, applications to multiphase flow phenomena, heat and mass transfer between continuous and dispersed phases applications (e.g. to contacting towers), chemical reaction with simultaneous transport of momentum, heat and mass between the phases, and applications to multiphase reactors.
After the course PTEK241 the student will be able to:
- quantify the exchange of momentum, heat and mass within the separate phases and between the phases in multiphase systems
- calculate response times and coupling parameters for multiphase systems and explain their significance for modeling processes involving such systems
- explain the formulation of momentum- energy- and material balances for multiphase systems
- explain and do calculations on the basic types of single-phase chemical reactors in the process industries
- explain and do calculations on the basic types of multiphase chemical reactors in the process industries, especially reactors with a solid catalyst
Required Previous Knowledge
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Basic knowledge of mathematics and chemical engineering is recommended.
Forms of Assessment
In a semester where teaching is offered can a midterm exam count until 25% of the grade. In a semester in where teaching is not offered will the final exam count 100%. Examination support materials: Non- programmable calculator, according to model listed in faculty regulations
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Type of assessment: Written exam
- 27.09.2017, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), Eksamenslokale 3. etg.