Semester of Instruction
Fall - irregular (the course is offered in fall 2017)
Objectives and Content
The course offers a theoretical and empirical introduction to the US political system with topics emphasizing the constitution, separation of powers, federalism, cleavages, party system, political participation, and economic policy. Students will acquire basic knowledge on and understanding of the organization and operations of the political system of the United States.
A candidate who has completed his or her qualification should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- Define and explain important aspects of the constitution, federalism, political institutions, political behavior, interest groups, party systems, and public policies.
- Discuss the content of the Constitution.
- Demonstrate how the Constitution facilitates and constrains political behavior, how the constitution governs the interaction between the states and the federal government, and between the legislature, the executive, and the judiciary.
- Critically analyze and evaluate the complexity of the political world in United States, explain patterns of political behavior, and discuss political outcomes.
- Engage in a discussion of how policies are the result of individual goals, institutional rules and collective action.
- Reconstruct how decisions and actions in the past influence political actors and outcomes today.
Required Previous Knowledge
Fulfillment of general admission requirements.
Access to the Course
The course is open for students at the University of Bergen who fulfill the general admission requirements.
Teaching and learning methods
Hours per week: 2
Number of weeks: minimum 10
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Forms of Assessment
Written exam (6 hours)
Total credit reduction with SAMPOL112 and SAMPOL217
Fall - irregular (offered in fall 2017)
The course is evaluated regularly
Note that the time may change up until 14 days prior to the day of the examination. The location will be published 14 days ahead.
Type of assessment: Written exam
- 27.11.2017, 09:00
- 6 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), Eksamenslokale 2. etg.