Level of Study
Semester of Instruction
Place of Instruction
Objectives and Content
The course will give an overview of important developments and events in the Spanish speaking world with a main focus on Latin America in the 20th Century, in order to understand the background for today's Latin America. There will also be some focus on Spanish history.
The course will give insight into central issues and questions in Latin American and Spanish history, and students will develop the ability to analyze subject material and draw their own conclusions. They should be able to further develop their knowledge, skills, and understanding through further study and in their professional life.
- has knowledge of the main features of Latin American history with an emphasis on the 20th century
- has an understanding of what historical factors form the background for current issues in today¿s Latin American society and culture
- has an understanding of how different perspectives influence the representations of Latin American history and society
- can discuss topics related to Latin American history, especially topics related to the 20th century
- can explain key features and contexts of Latin American history
- can analyze subject material and draw their own conclusions
- can discuss academic topics in short written texts in clear and correct Spanish
- can further develop their knowledge, skills, and understanding through further study and in their professional life
Required Previous Knowledge
There are no formal requirements, but all teaching will be held in Spanish and requires a good command of the Spanish language.
Recommended Previous Knowledge
An introductory course in Spanish or Spanish Level 2 taken in upper secondary school (VGS).
Credit Reduction due to Course Overlap
SPLA103 (10 credits), SLAN612 (10 credits)
Access to the Course
The course is open to all with admission to the University of Bergen. Non-UiB students can apply to the Faculty of Humanities to take a specific exam.
Teaching Methods and Extent of Organized Teaching
Instruction is organized as a series of lectures, which will give an overview of the course topics. The main emphasis of the course is on understanding the impact that historical developments and events in the 20th century have had on Latin America.
Lectures are normally given four hours a week for ten weeks. The teaching may also be organized in larger blocks. There will also be small group classes for ten weeks, where central topics and issues will be discussed, if resources are available.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Forms of Assessment
The form of assessment is a four-hour written examination in Spanish. The grade will be based on content and language. The examination may be conducted digitally.
Examination Support Material
Students may use monolingual and bilingual (for example Norwegian-Spanish/Spanish-Norwegian) dictionaries approved by the Department during the exam. The students must bring their own dictionary to the exam and be aware of and follow the rules regarding dictionary use on exams.
The grading scale A-F is used, where F is a failing grade.
Spring / Fall
The course reading (in total 350 pages) can include historical overview texts, articles, and original/source texts.
The teaching will be evaluated according to the quality assurance system of the University of Bergen.
The program committee is responsible for the academic content and the structure of the program, as well as for the quality of the study program and related courses.
The Department of Foreign Languages at the Humanities Faculty is responsible for the administration of this course and study program.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 02.10.2017, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), Eksamenslokale 3. etg.