Planning your arrival
As an international student planning to come to UiB, you may be interested in some guidance on preparing for your stay in Bergen.
Below are some practicalities to consider when deciding when to arrive in Bergen.
What date will you arrive?
- If you will be staying in student housing: It may be beneficial to arrive as close to the beginning of the housing contract (1 August) as possible.
- Consider important dates (such as when your classes start) as well as attending the Welcome Programme.
- Think about if you want to explore Bergen or travel in Norway before your semester kicks off.
What time of day will you arrive?
- In order to receive your keys for student housing, you must check in at the SiB Housing Reception in the Student Centre (see Step 7: Arrival and directions for directions). You can only do this during opening hours. If you arrive when the SiB Housing Reception is closed, you will need to provide for your own accommodation until you can check in at Housing Reception during opening hours. Housing Reception has extended opening hours at the beginning of August.
- If you’re not arriving during standard opening hours or you are not staying in student housing the directions on the Arrivals page may still have helpful suggestions for public transit options coming into the city. Generally, the two easiest options are:
Detailed PDF directions are linked in the Arrivals page. You can also take a cab, but it is significantly more expensive