Planning your Arrival
Published: 06.06.2017 (Last updated: 13.11.2017)
Below are some practicalities to consider when deciding when to arrive in Bergen.
What date will you arrive?
- If you will be staying in student housing: It may be beneficial to arrive as close to the beginning of the housing contract (1 January) as possible.
- Consider important dates (such as when your classes start) as well as attending the Welcome Programme.
- Think about if you want to explore Bergen or travel in Norway before your semester kicks off.
What time of day will you arrive?
- In order to receive your keys for student housing, you must check in at the Sammen Housing Reception in the Student Centre (see Step 5: Arrival in Bergen for directions). You can only do this during opening hours. If you arrive when Sammen's Housing Reception is closed, you will need to provide for your own accommodation until you can check in at Housing Reception during opening hours. Housing Reception has extended opening hours at the beginning of January (in 2018, extended hours are on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th of January 8:00-20:00. Sammen is closed the 23rd December, 2017 through the 1st of January, 2018).
- The directions on the Arrivals page can be helpful for public transit options coming into the city regardless of your specific circumstances. Generally, the two easiest options for traveling from the airport into the centre are:
- Detailed PDF directions are linked in the Arrivals page. You can also take a cab, but it is significantly more expensive