Special Arrangements for Examinations
The purpose of special arrangements is to compensate for the disadvantages students may experience at examinations due to a particular need or illness.
The application deadline is the 1st of February in the spring semester and the 1st of September in the autumn semester.
We encourage students to apply as early as possible. You can send the documentation later, but no later than 2 weeks before your first examination.
For acute illnesses that have arisen after the deadline, or if there are other special circumstances, exceptions can be made regarding the deadline.
Who can Apply
If you have an illness or other needs that cause significant disadvantages in the examination situation compared to other students, you can apply for special arrangements.
You can also apply for special arrangements if you have an acute injury or illness.
What You Can Apply for
- Extended time. 30 minutes are normally added for examinations lasting up to 4 hours, and 1 hour is added to examinations longer than 4 hours.
- Time to rest.
- Time to breastfeed.
- Various aids such as an adjustable chair, adjustable desk, a desktop computer, dictaphone, and writing help/secretary. You are responsible for ensuring that you have the skills to use the equipment provided.
- Own room. Access to a daybed.
- The option of writing without carbon copies and with a pencil or marker.
- Under special circumstances, you can apply for an alternative form of examination. For example having a take-home examination instead of a written examination, or a written examination divided into multiple days. The academic communities, i.e. the departments, determine whether it is possible to grant an alternative form of examination. It must be academically appropriate and equivalent to an ordinary examination. Please note that oral examinations are rarely seen as equivalent to written examinations.
Students with permanent / chronic needs can be granted special arrangements at school examinations on a permanent basis. You will be informed about this in the letter you receive. When you have been granted special arrangements on a permanent basis, you do not need to apply for special arrangements each semester. You only need to check 2-3 weeks before your examination, that your special arrangements have been registered correctly on Studentweb.
How to Apply
Apply by filling out our online form.
You only need to submit one application even if you have examinations at multiple faculties. You must list all the examinations where you require special arrangements.
Unless you have been granted special arrangements on a permanent basis, you must enclose documentation (a medical certificate, a dyslexia certificate or a psychologist's certificate) each time you apply. The documentation can be submitted after the application deadline, but no later than 2 weeks before your first examination.
In urgent circumstances you can deliver the documentation to the mailbox (pictured) located outside the entrance to Langes gate 3.
Other assessments: If you have questions about special arrangements at other types of assesment (oral exam, home exam, essays etc.), you need to contact the relevant Department:
- The Faculty of Law email@example.com
- The Faculty of Humanities firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Faculty of Psychology email@example.com
- The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Faculty of Medicine email@example.com
- The Faculty of Social Sciences firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Faculty of Fine Art, Music and Design email@example.com