How to finance your studies

UiB offers tuition-free quality education for all students.

The University of Bergen is publicly funded and therefore offers tuition-free education for Norwegians and all other students, regardless of citizenship. The only student expenditures are a nominal semester fee (NOK 590) paid to the Student Welfare Organisation, books, and of course costs of living. 

While Norway’s high quality of life goes hand-in-hand with a higher cost of living, the cost of living in Bergen is compensated for by benefits such as free education, quality health care, and ready access to the natural environment. 

Quality education

The Norwegian government considers access to higher education for all to be such an important part of the Norwegian society that the majority of higher educational institutions in Norway are publicly funded.

At UiB it's possible to get a quality education without having to pay any tuition fees, and without sacrificing the quality of the education we offer. UiB ranks among the top 100 European universities, contains several Research Centres of Excellence, and is the most frequently cited university in Norway.

UiB scholarships

UiB doesn't offer any scholarships, but grants and scholarships are available through short-term mobility programmes, such as the:

These grants or scholarships are usually awarded automatically to students admitted to the programme through their home institution. 

Scholarships for American citizens

The purpose of the scholarship is to provide financial support for Americans to study in Norway.

  • NORAM scholarships are for full time graduate level studies, both exchange and whole degree in Norway.

Other Scholarships and funding

In addition, Study in Norway presents an overview of scholarships and other types of funding for international students wishing to study in Norway.

Cost of Living

Despite Norway’s high living costs, students are able to manage well on reasonable budgets. An estimate of an average student budget in Norway is about NOK 11 165 per month (2018) for most expenses including housing, food, study materials, public transportation and activities. The following are approximations of common student costs:

  • Single room student housing: NOK 3000
  • Student bus card (one month): NOK 485
  • Textbooks (one semester): NOK 1600-3500
  • Dinner (student cafeteria): NOK 65-100
  • Dinner (inexpensive restaurant: approx. NOK 120-160
  • Cinema ticket: approx. NOK 120
  • Semester fee: NOK 590
  • Student membership for Sammen training (one semester): NOK 1100

Self-financing students

Applicants with a citizenship from outside the European Union/EEA/EFTA are required to enclose documentation of funds sufficient to cover expenses while in Norway, a total of NOK 111 657 (academic year 2017/2018). 

Applicants with a citizenship from within the European Union/EEA/EFTA citizenship are not required to document funds for living expenses during their stay in Norway. 


Bank opening hours are limited and most Norwegians prefer to use Internet banking. Cash cards, debit and/or credit cards are accepted practically everywhere and most of the time preferred to cash.

Norway is well equipped with ATMs where international credit or debit cards such as VISA, MasterCard and others may be used to withdraw or advance money from your home bank account. Banking services, including exchange of foreign currency, are also offered by Norwegian post offices.


Health Insurance

All international students must have valid health insurance while in Norway. To find out if you should become a member of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme or if you should have a social security coverage from your home country, please visit the website Study in Norway.

We advise all students travelling to Norway to consult health insurance authorities in their home country to ensure valid health insurance while in Norway.

Please note that you must also have a valid health insurance from your home country while you are waiting for a membership in the National Insurance Scheme.

Students from outside EU/EEA/EFTA staying 3-12 months

If you will be staying in Norway between 3 and 12 months, you may be entitled to a voluntary membership in the National Insurance Scheme. After you have received your residence permit, you can visit the local NAV office and apply there. Bring your Letter of Admission, ID card and the Residence Permit.

Health Insurance for Students from EU/EEA/EFTA Countries

If you are a student from an EU/EEA/EFTA country, you are required to have health insurance and be able to document this when you come to Norway and visit the local police.

We recommend that you bring the European Health Insurance Card which you can apply for through the local health authorities in your home country. If you are not entitled to a European Health Insurance Card from your home country, you must have other health insurance to cover any medical expenses you might incur in Norway.

Other Types of Insurance

You should also consider if you will need other types of insurance, such as travel insurance.