The Department of Philosophy has welcomed a number of international PhD students over the years, either as visiting students or enrolled in our own PhD program. Some have been funded under a joint arrangement with the Department of Bioethics at the US National Institutes of Health, and partly funded by a Norwegian Government grant. This funding scheme is now under review and a new scheme will be in place sometime in 2017. At the moment we can only accept self-funded international PhD students. Our international PhD students have mainly worked on issues related to health care ethics, research ethics, or Wittgenstein research. There is no tuition at the University of Bergen, but international students will have to document that they can cover their living expenses in Norway for three years (approximately NOK 10.000/month). We will only accept students who work within one of our research areas with a project that is of interest to our Faculty members.
The Department wants to strengthen the PhD program, focusing on Philosophy and Public Policy, and research related to Wittgenstein. We will continue our collaboration with the US National Institutes of Health and Peking Union Medical College in China. In addition, we are exploring new collaboration with universities in South Africa and Brazil.
- Allen Alvarez, Philippines, currently at University of Vancouver Canada. PhD from UiB
- Kenji Matsui, Japan, currently at the National Cerebral and Cardiovascular Center, Osaka. PhD from Chiba University, Japan
- Pattapong Kessomboon, Thailand, currently at Khon Kaen University, Thailand. PhD from Prince of Songkla University, Thailand.
- Nicola Barsdorf, South Africa, currently at Stellenbosch University. PhD from UiB
- Chunshui Wang, China, currently at Beijing Gynecology and Obstetrics Hospital. PhD from UiB
- Zhaochen Wang, China, currently working in Beijing. PhD. From Peking Union Medical College
- Di Zhang, China, currently at Peking Union Medical College, Beijing. PhD from Peking Union Medical College
- John Barugahare, Uganda, currently Assistant professor at Makerere University, Kampala. PhD from UiB
Current international PhD students
- Lumberto Mendoza, Philippines
- Minnian He, China
Both are working on projects related to Wittgenstein.
For general information about the PhD program at the University of Bergen, click here