In my research, I explore the role that system dynamics analysis and modeling techniques play in facilitating transformation processes in social-ecological systems, such as the transition towards sustainable agri-food systems on local, national and international levels. My goal is to provide guidelines for learning about complex dynamic systems and for making information about climate change, agriculture and food security both accessible and relevant for action. I work both in Europe and in several sub-Saharan African countries.
I am particularly passionate about engaging with a wide range of stakeholders by creatively adapting proven tools and techniques from systems thinking and system dynamics modeling to advance decision-making in social ecological systems and to achieve breakthrough moments of understanding for those stakeholders to become champions of change towards resilience and sustainability.
2017. Med blikk på bærekraften i europeisk landbruk / EU funding for climate dynamics project. University of Bergen Aktuelt / News (interview). http://www.uib.no/svf/104655/med-blikk-p%C3%A5-b%C3%A6rekraften-i-europeisk-landbruk / http://www.uib.no/en/svf/104634/eu-funding-climate-dynamics-project
2015. UiB-forskere lytter til afrikanske bønder / Listening to the voices of Africa's farmers. University of Bergen Aktuelt / News (interview). http://www.uib.no/aktuelt/92385/uib-forskere-lytter-til-afrikanske-b%C3%B8nder / http://www.uib.no/en/news/92401/listening-voices-africa%E2%80%99s-farmers
2014. På randen av en matkrise. HUBRO, 20-21. (interview)
2014. On the verge of a food crisis. The UiB Magazine, 2014/2015, 24-25. (interview)
- 2016. Can organic farming reduce vulnerabilities and enhance the resilience of the European food system? A critical assessment using system dynamics structural thinking tools. Sustainability. 8:971. 32 pages. doi: 10.3390/su8100971
- 2016. Investigating the drivers of innovation diffusion in a low income country context. The case of adoption of improved maize seed in Malawi. Futures : The journal of policy, planning and futures studies. 81: 161-175. doi: 10.1016/j.futures.2015.08.011
- 2016. Resilience in food systems: The case of tef in Ethiopia. Sight and Life. 30: 22-27.
- 2016. 34th International Conference of the System Dynamics Society 2016. System Dynamics Society. 2681 pages. ISBN: 978-1-5108-3020-2.
- 2015. System dynamics and simulation-gaming: Overview. Simulation & Gaming. doi: 10.1177/1046878115596390
- 2015. Effects of structural transparency in system dynamics simulators on performance and understanding. Systems. 3: 152-176. doi: 10.3390/systems3040152
- 2015. The effect of prior exploration as an instructional strategy in system dynamics learning environments. Simulation & Gaming. 46: 293-321. doi: 10.1177/1046878113517536
- 2015. Food provision and environmental goals in the Swiss agri-food system: System dynamics and the social-ecological systems framework. Systems research and behavioral science. 32: 414-432. doi: 10.1002/sres.2334
- 2015. A system dynamics approach for examining mechanisms and pathways of food supply vulnerability. Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences. 5: 321-336. doi: 10.1007/s13412-015-0289-x
- 2015. Food system resilience: Defining the concept. Global Food Security. 6: 17-23. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gfs.2015.08.001
- 2014. Food insecurity in Ethiopia: Population, food production and market. KAPITTEL. In:
- 2014. Proceedings of the 32nd International Conference of the System Dynamics Society. System Dynamics Society. 164 pages. ISBN: 978-1-935056-13-3.
- 2014. On the verge of a food crisis. University of Bergen, International Magazine. 24-25.
- 2014. På randen av en matkrise. Hubro. Magasin for Universitetet i Bergen. 20-21.
- 2014. Sustainable Development Goals and Targets on Food and Nutrition Security through Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems in the Post-2015 Agenda. Background Paper. 28 pages.
- 2014. Dynamic decision making in coupled social-ecological systems. Smallholder farmers’ goals, resources and constraints in improving food security and adapting to climate change in Zambia. KAPITTEL. In:
- 2014. Dynamic thinking about food system vulnerabilities in highly developed countries: Issues and initial analytic structure. KAPITTEL. In:
- 2014. Systems Education at Bergen. Systems. 2: 159-167.
- 2013. Social Dynamics Overriding Utility Evaluations for Good and Bad: Implications for the Design of Sustainable Food Security Policies in Sub-Saharan African Countries. 9, pages 223-241. In:
- 2013. Dynamic Governance of Energy Technology Change. Springer. 252 pages. ISBN: 978-3-642-39753-0.
- 2012. Automated assessment of learners' understanding in complex dynamic systems. System Dynamics Review. 28: 131-156. doi: 10.1002/sdr.1467
- 2012. Designing sustainable food security policies in sub-Saharan African countries: how social dynamics over-ride utility evaluations for good and bad. Systems research and behavioral science. 29: 575-589. doi: 10.1002/sres.2140
- 2012. Dynamics of Poverty Traps in Kenya. Modelling Food Security, Population Growth and the Poverty Trap. 100 pages. ISBN: 365911734X.
- 2011. Simulator-supported descriptions of complex dynamic problems: experimental results on task performance and system understanding. System Dynamics Review. 27: 142-172. doi: 10.1002/sdr.445
- 2011. Application of the Malaria Management Model to the Analysis of Costs and Benefits of DDT versus Non-DDT Malaria Control. PLoS ONE. 6. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0027771
- 2010. A Blend of Planning and Learning Simplifying a Simulation Model of National Development. Simulation & Gaming. 41: 641-662. doi: 10.1177/1046878109332280
- 2008. Closing the Loop: Promoting Synergies with Other Theory Building Approaches to Improve System Dynamics Practice. Systems research and behavioral science. 25: 471-486. doi: 10.1002/sres.913
- 2008. Learning about Dynamic Problems with Computer Simulators: A Case of System Dynamics Simulation Models. 569-571. In:
- 2008. The 8th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies. IEEE conference proceedings. 3 pages.