Social anthropologist focusing on Venezuela, Brazil and Angola. Her research interests include the anthropology of oil and natural resource management, grass root democracy, social movements, state transformation, political conflicts and social struggle, poverty, violence and gender, and the politics of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
Strønen is also Researcher II at the Chr. Michelsen Institute (CMI) in Bergen.
She is the author of the monograph "Grassroots Politics and Oil Culture in Venezuela. The Revolutionary Petro-State" (Palgrave McMillan 2017). The book is available Open Access here.
A short visual presentation of Strønen's doctoral work can be found here: (in Norwegian)http://www.uib.no/svf/86749/fra-feltarbeid-til-doktorpromosjon
Strønen is a project member of the Energetics research project at the Department for Social Anthropology, UiB. The project focuses on Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) amongst Norwegian energy companies operating abroad. Strønen's case study is concerned with Statoil's CSR-work in Brazil.
She is also a project member of the the CEIC-CMI Angola Programme (2015-2018) at the Chr. Michelsen Institute, and the project coordinator for the sub-project Gender Relations and Human Rights in Angola.
Strønen has previously served as the project coordinator and editor for the CMI-based project Everyday Manoeuvres: Military-Civilian Relations in Latin-America and the Middle East, throught which she also conducted case studies from Venezuela and Brazil.
She obtained her PhD in Social Anthropology from the University of Bergen in 2014. In addition, Strønen holds a MA degree in Anthropology of Development from the University of Bergen, and a MA degree in International Journalism from City University, London.
Strønen is fluent in English and Spanish, and intermediary in Portugese.
Conference and workshop participation
- “The New Extractivist Frontier in Venezuela: Popular and indigenous protest to El Arco Minero.” Presentation delivered at the workshop “Cosmologies, Indigeneity and Politics of Extractivism in Latin America: Ethnographic Approaches", Department for Social Anthropology, June 21-22, 2006
- “The revolution is in our hearts. Popular aspirations for a Bolivarian future in Chavez' Venezuela.”. Presentation delivered at the workshop “Momentums, Histories, Localities and Futures in the Anthropology of Ruptures and Hope”. Department of Social Anthropology, University of Oslo, October 7-8, 2016
- "Here we kill eachother over a pair of shoes". Consumption, identity and oil culture in Veneuzela. Paper delivered at the 2016 Congress of the Latin American Studies Association, New York, May 26-31, 2016
- Envisioning a post-petro state? Critical discourses on oil-led development in Bolivarian Venezuela. Paper delivered The 8th Nordic Latin American Research Network Conference, Helsinki, June 1, 2015
- Searching for Che’s New Man. Rentier Capitalism, Money and Moralities in Bolivarian Venezuela. Paper delivered at Prepared for delivery at the 2015 Congress of the Latin American Studies Association, San Juan, Puerto Rico, May 27 - 30, 2015.
- Co-organizer and co-host, international workshop "Rethinking Inequalities in Latin America", Bergen, Norway, March 5-6, 2015. Also presenting the paper "Chavistas, go eat shit." Political polarization, race and class in Bolivarian Venezuela, as well as acting as chair and discussant.
- Panel organizer and co-chair, panel entitled Children of Cain? Exploring State and Civil Violence in Latin America, Norwegian Latin America Research Network Conference, Oslo, Norway, November 27-29, 2013
- Violent crime in Venezuela- a View from Below. Presented at Norwegian Latin America Research Network Conference, Oslo, Norway, November 27-29, 2013
- The Oil that Didnt't Trickle Down: Reflections on the Politics of (broken) Promises in Venezuela. Presented at Norwegian Latin America Research Network Conference, Bergen, Norway, October 26-27, 2011
- Chair, panel entitled "The Grassroot and the State", Norwegian Latin America Research Network Conference, Bergen, Norway, October 26-27, 2011
- Revolutionary identity and cultural and artistic expressions amongst Venezuela's Popular Sectors. Presented at Latin American Studies Association (LASA) Conference 2010, Toronto,Canada, October 6-9, 2010
- Money and power to the people (?) Development from below in a Caracas barrio- some preliminary observations. Presented at Flammable Societies Conference, La Paz/Yungas, Bolivia, July 1-5, 2009
- "Here we organize like this". Constructing and Conceptualizing Local Development Projects in a Caracas barrio. Presented at The Norwegian Association for Development Research (NFU) Conference, Chr. Michelsens Institute (CMI), Bergen 5-7 November 2007
Selected popular presentations and media apperances
- Panel participant in panel debate: Venezuela, is there a peaceful solution? Panel organized by SUM, Norwegian Network for Latin America Research (NorLARNet) and the Nobel Peace Center. Nobel Peace Center, Oslo, September 14, 2017.
- Panel introducer and panel participant (untitled presentations) at the Globalization-conference, Oslo, October 28-29, 2016. Panels organized by the Norwegian Solidary Committee for Latin America.
- Parlamentsvalget i Venezuela: mot slutten på Den bolivarianske revolusjonen? (Elections to the National Assembly in Venezuela: towards the end of the Bolivarian Revolution?) Panel debate organized by Norlarnet, Litteraturhuset, Oslo. December 14, 2015
- Chavismo after Chavez. Venezuela's Bolivarian Revolution in the Electoral Year 2015. Invited open lecture at the Workers' Educational Association, Stockholm, in collaboration with the University of Stockholm. October 12, 2015
- Gender equality og women's struggles i Venezuela. Public meeting organized by SAIH and LAG, Bergen, April 8, 2014
- Lecture on Latin-American history and politics, Social Science Class at Norheimsund Comprehensive School, March 5, 2009
- Commentator on Venezuela, TV2 Evening News, Norway, March 16, 2009
- Presentation about Venezuela. Student "lunch lecture", Department for Comparative Politics, University of Bergen, March 7, 2007
- Commentator on Venezuela, TV2 News Channel Norway, May 31 and June 1, 2007
Selected other publications
- Situasjonen tilspisses. Regjeringen i Venezuela er kraftig svekket.[The situation is getting tenser. The government in Venezuela is severely weakened]. Forsvarets Forum (magazine published by the Norwegian Armed Forces) No.3/2016.
- After the Bolivarian Revolution: What’s in store for Margarita? FOCAAL blog, April 1, 2016. Available at: http://www.focaalblog.com/2016/04/01/iselin-asedotter-stronen-after-the-bolivarian-revolution-whats-in-store-for-margarita/#sthash.KHib00I3.dpuf
- Forakt i forkledning (Contempt in disguise). Book review, Klassekampen, January 26, 2013
- Entry editor for "Venezuela" in Store Norske Leksikon (the Great Norwegian Encyclopedia), May 2015-
Selected popular disseminations and open-eds
- Promotional video for doctoral education at the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Bergen (March 2015), can be watched at http://www.uib.no/svf/86749/fra-feltarbeid-til-doktorpromosjon
- Hva skjer egentlig i Venezuela? Bergens Tidende, January 23, 2015
- Regjeringen er trengt opp i hjørnet. NRK Ytring, February 22, 2014
- Interview: Venezuela: Revolusjon og Olje (Venezuela: Revolution and Oil). Tidsskriftet Rødt 3/2014
- Civil-military relations in Venezuela....by the pool. Blog post for CMI website, January 2015
- Simón Bolívar- a man of war and a symbol of freedom. - with Nefissa Naguib. Blog post for CMI website, April 2014
- Venezuela sett fra Norge, Aftenposten, March 15, 2013
- Arven etter Chavez, Bergens Tidende, March 13, 2013
- Venezuelas fattige gråter, Klassekampen, March 7, 2013
- Strønen, I. (2010) Landartikkel- den Bolivarianske Republikken Venezuela i Latin-Amerikaboka 2010: "Gull og Grønne Skoger - Norske Interesser I Latin-Amerika". Oslo: Latin-Amerikagruppene i Norge
- Strønen, I. (2008) Landartikkel- den Bolivarianske Republikken Venezuela i Latin-Amerikaboka 2008: "Oljetønner og kaffebønner - kampen om naturressursene". Oslo: Latin-Amerikagruppene i Norge
- Strønen, I (2007) "De visste aldri noe om hvordan vi hadde det"- Om fellesidentiteter blant Chávez-tilhengere i Caracas, i LatinAmerika No. 1/2007
- Fall 2017:Academic writing, methods and theory: Anthropological approaches (SANT150), Department for Social Anthropology, University of Bergen
- Fall 2016: Academic writing, methods and theory: Anthropological approaches (SANT150), Department for Social Anthropology, University of Bergen
- Spring 2016: Anthropology, Intervention and Development (SANT220), Department for Social Anthropology, University of Bergen
- Fall 2015: Invitation to Social Anthropology (SANT100), Department for Social Anthropology, University of Bergen
- 2014: Methodology course for visiting PhD scholar at CMI
- 2010: Anthropology, Development and Intervention (SANT220). Lecture series entitled Anthropology and Poverty (three lectures) University of Bergen (spring semester)
- 2006 (November 11) Guest lecturer, Anthropology and the Problem with "Development" Global Studies (GLOB 101), University of Bergen, November 11, 2006
- Fall 2010: SANT 304 Anthropology and its Subjects: History, Poverty and Social Transformation. Seminar leader- six sessions
- Fall 2006: Anthropology module of Global Studies (GLOB 101)
- 2006/2007: Introduction course in Social Anthropology (web-based module SANT 601)
- 2018. The Social Life of Economic Inequalities in Contemporary Latin America: Decades of Change. Palgrave Macmillan. 289 pages. ISBN: 978-3-319-61535-6.
- 2017. Grassroots Politics and Oil Culture in Venezuela. The Revolutionary Petro-State. Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN: 978-3-319-59507-8.
- 2017. Everyday crafting of the Bolivarian state: lower-level public officials and grass root activism in Venezuela. Latin American perspectives. 44: 159-179. doi: 10.1177/0094582X16666024
- 2015. Servants of the nation, defenders of la patria: The bolivarian militia in venezuela. Working Paper - Chr. Michelsen Institute. 2015: 1-21.
- 2015. Hva skjer egentlig i Venezuela? Bergens Tidende.
- 2013. En feministisk revolusjon? Kvinner, kvinnekamp og aktivisme i Chavez' Venezuela. Norsk Antropologisk Tidsskrift. 24: 39-51.
- 2016. «Nowadays there are shoot-outs all the time». Women, children, and Police Pacification Units (UPPs) in Rocinha, Rio de Janeiro. Working Paper - Chr. Michelsen Institute. 7. CMI, Bergen. 28 pages.
- 2016. Violence against women in the context of urban poverty in Angola. CMI Brief. 15: 16. CMI, Bergen. 4 pages.
- 2016. Violência contra a mulher no contexto da pobreza urbana em Angola. CMI Brief. 15: 16. CMI, Bergen. 4 pages.
- 2015. CMI Working Paper: Servants of the nation, defenders of la patria: The Bolivarian Militia in Venezuela. Chr. Michelsen Institutt, Bergen. 27 pages.
- 2014. The Revolutionary Petro-State. Change, Continuity and Popular Power in Venezuela. University of Bergen.
- 2006. “For us this is Utopia coming true”Venezuela’s Bolivarian Revolution and popular movements in a Caracas barrio. 120 pages.
- 2018. Political Polarisation, Colonial Inequalities and the Crisis of Modernity in Venezuela. Chp. 7. In:
- 2018. The Social Life of Economic Inequalities in Contemporary Latin America: Decades of Change. Palgrave Macmillan. 289 pages. ISBN: 978-3-319-61535-6.
- 2018. Introduction. 1, pages 3-34. In:
- 2018. Coming of Age in the Penal System: Neoliberalism, ‘Mano Dura’ and the Reproduction of ‘Racialised’ Inequality in Honduras. 9, pages 205-228. In:
- 2016. Nicholas Maduro, Venezuelas samtidshistorie. Encyclopedia entry. In:
- 2016. Store norske leksikon (snl.no 2016). 15000 pages.
- 2015. Oil and environmental injustice in Venezuela: an ethnographic study of Punta Cardón. 5. In:
- 2015. Contested Powers: The Politics of Energy and Development in Latin America. Zed Books. 324 pages. ISBN: 978-1-78360-093-9.
- 2013. Venezuela; Venezuelas samtidshistorie, Venezuelas Historie, Hugo Chavez; Nicholas Maduro. Oppslagsverk på nett. In:
- 2013. Store norske leksikon (snl.no). Store norske leksikon AS. 157000 pages.
- 2012. Development from below and oil money from above : popular organisation in contemporary Venezuela. Kapittel, pages 133-155. In:
- 2012. Flammable societies - Studies on the Socio-economics of Oil and Gas. Pluto Press. 384 pages. ISBN: 9780745331171.
Strønen, I. and Margit Ystanes (eds) (2017) Decades of Change: The Social Life of Economic Inequalities in Contemporary Latin America. Palgrave McMillan. http://www.palgrave.com/gp/book/9783319615356 (Available Open Access)
Peer reviewed articles
- Strønen, I (2016) Everyday Crafting of the Bolivarian State: Lower-level public officials and grass root activism in Venezuela. Latin American Perspectives (LAP)-Special Issue on the Legacy of Hugo Chavez 44(1):159-179
- Strønen, I (2013) En Feministisk Revolusjon? Kvinner, kvinnekamp og aktivisme i Chávez' Venezuela (A Feminist Revolution? Women, Women's Struggle and Activism in Chávez's Venezuela), i Norsk Antropologisk Tidsskrift (NAT) 1/2013
- Strønen I, and Ystanes M. (2017) Introduction, in Ystanes, M. and Strønen, I (eds.) Decades of Change: The Social Life of Economic Inequalities in Contemporary Latin America. Palgrave McMillan
- Strønen, I. (2017) Political polarization, colonial inequalities and the crisis of modernity in Venezuela, in Ystanes, M. and Strønen, I (eds.) Decades of Change: The Social Life of Economic Inequalities in Contemporary Latin America. Palgrave McMillan .
- - with Gutierrez, Lirio, R. and Margit Ystanes (2017) Coming of Age in the Penal System: Neoliberalism, ‘mano dura’ and the reproduction of ‘racialized’ inequalities in Honduras. In Ystanes, M. and Strønen, I (eds.) Decades of Change: The Social Life of Economic Inequalities in Contemporary Latin America. Palgrave McMillan
- Strønen, I, and Canino, M.V (2015). Oil and Environmental Injustice in Venezuela: An Ethnograpic Study of Punta Cardón, in McNeish, J.A, Borchgrevnik, A, and Logan, O, (eds.) Contested Powers:the politics of energy and development in Latin America, Zed Books
- Strønen, I. (2011). Development from Below and Oil Money from Above. Popular Organization in Contemporary Venezuela, in McNeish, J.A & Logan, O (eds.) Flammable Societies: Studies on the Socio Economics of Oil and Gas, Pluto Press, London
Non-peer reviewed articles
- Strønen, I. et al. (2017) Perpetual Hardships: Female Poverty in Rural Malanje, Angola. CMI Brief. Bergen: Chr. Michelsen Institute
- Strønen, I. et al (2017) Dificuldades Permanentes: Pobreza Feminina em Malanje Rural, Angola. CMI Brief. Bergen: Chr. Michelsen Institute
- Strønen, I. and Margaret Nangacovie (2016) Violence against women in the context of urban poverty in Angola. CMI Brief vol. 15 no. 16. Bergen: Chr. Michelsen Institute
- Strønen, I. et al (2016) Violência contra a mulher no contexto da pobreza urbana em Angola. CMI Brief vol. 15 no. 16. Bergen: Chr. Michelsen Institute
- Strønen, I (2016) «Nowadays there are shoot-outs all the time». Women, children, and Police Pacification Units (UPPs) in Rocinha, Rio de Janeiro. CMI Working Paper 2016:7. Bergen: Chr. Michelsen Institute
- Strønen, I (2016) "A Civil-Military Alliance": The Venezuelan Armed Forces before and during the Chavez-era. CMI Working Paper 2016:4. Bergen. Chr. Michelsen Institute
- Strønen, I (2015) Servants of the nation, defenders of la patria: The Bolivarian Militia in Venezuela. CMI Working Paper 2015:13. Bergen: Chr. Michelsen Institute
- Strønen, I (2014) A Revolutionary Petro-State. Change, Continuity and Popular Power in Venezuela. PhD-dissertation, University of Bergen
- Real-time evaluation of Norway's international climate and forest initiative. Contributions to a global REDD+ regime 2007-2010. Richard Tipper, Johan Helland, Iselin Åsedotter Strønen et al (2011) Oslo: Norad (Evaluation report no. 12/2010) 82 p.