Association between stress across life and changes in sleep and circadian rhythms, with a translational perspective (animal models and human studies).
I investigate different early life conditions and consequences for health later in life (sleep, circadian rhythms, behavior and cognition), and which factors can moderate the effects of adverse early life events.
Another research focus is on consequences of nightshift-work for sleep, circadian rhythms and waking function. One of the main goals is to investigate how different lighting conditions can be used to alleviate sleepiness and improve cognitive function during nightshift-work and to identify molecular mechanisms.
- Objective measures of sleep and waking function
- Objective measures of circadian rhythmicity
- Behavioural tests
- Subjective and objective measures of sleep and waking function
- Subjective and objective measures of circadian rhythmicity
- Cognitive tests
Normal barin development (in Norwegian)
Journal SLEEP, p.14-15
Sommer school in circadian rhythms and sleep (in Norwegian)
Journal SLEEP, p.35-37
Journal SLEEP, p.18-22
- Behaviour, health and nutrition PSYK140
- Biological psychology PROPSY303
- Circadian rhythms, sleep and behavior PSYK115
- Development, cognitive and biological psychology PSYK114
- Circadian rhythms and sleep their role in mental and physical health, safety and productivity (NRSN summer school 2017)
Some topics thet I teach:
- Development of nervous system
- Nutrition and brain function
- Sleep across species
- Sleep and circadian rhythms across life span
- Stress regulation
- 2017. Age and sex differences in bedroom habits and bedroom preferences. Sleep Medicine. 32: 157-161. doi: 10.1016/j.sleep.2017.01.003
- 2016. Use of electronic media in bed and reading in bed after bedtime – Age and sex differences in a representative adult population. Journal of Sleep Research. 25: 377-377. Published 2016-08-29. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12446
- 2016. A rodent model of night-shift work induces short-term and enduring sleep and electroencephalographic disturbances. Journal of Biological Rhythms. 32: 48-63. doi: 10.1177/0748730416675460
- 2016. Lentiviral HSV-Tk.007-mediated suicide gene therapy is not toxic for normal brain cells. Journal of Gene Medicine. 18: 234-243. doi: 10.1002/jgm.2895
- 2016. Shift in food intake and changes in metabolic regulation and gene expression during simulated night-shiftwork: A rat model. Nutrients. 8:712: 1-13. doi: 10.3390/nu8110712
- 2016. Simulated night work alters clock gene expression in central and peripheral tissue in rats. Journal of Sleep Research. 25: 57-57. Published 2016-08-29. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12446
- 2016. Hva skjer med søvn hos ungdom og hvordan kan vi lære dem at søvn er viktig? SØVN. 8: 18-22.
- 2016. Basalforskning på ESRS 2016. SØVN. 8: 31.
- 2016. Basalforskning på WorldSleep konferansen 2015. SØVN. 8: 37.
- 2016. Årets publikasjon 2015. SØVN. 8: 5.
- 2016. Mild daily stressors in adulthood may counteract behavioural effects after constant presence of mother during early life. Physiology and Behavior. 165: 313-321. doi: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2016.08.018
- 2016. A rat model for shiftwork: Effects on sleep architecture and sleep homeostasis. Journal of Sleep Research. 25: 248-249. Published 2016-08-29. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12446
- 2016. Implication of NOTCH1 Gene in Susceptibility to Anxiety and Depression among Sexual Abuse Victims. Translational psychiatry. doi: 10.1038/tp.2016.248
- 2014. Effects of social defeat on sleep and behaviour: Importance of the confrontational behaviour. Physiology and Behavior. 127: 54-63. doi: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2014.01.010
- 2014. Hypothermia after chronic mild stress exposure in rats with a history of postnatal maternal separations. Chronobiology International. 31: 252-264. doi: 10.3109/07420528.2013.846351
- 2013. Normal utvikling av hjernen. SØVN. 1. 14-15.
- 2013. Early and later life stress alter brain activity and sleep in rats. PLoS ONE. 8. Published 2013-07-26. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0069923
- 2012. Sleep architecture, behaviour, corticosterone and acoustic startle response after double exposure to social defeat in rats. Journal of Sleep Research. 21: 212-212.
- 2012. Forekomsten av seksuelle overgrep i et representativt befolkningsutvalg i Norge. Tidsskrift for Norsk Psykologforening. 49: 950-957.
- 2012. Neonatal maternal separation in male rats increases intestinal permeability and affects behavior after chronic social stress. Physiology and Behavior. 105: 1058-1066. doi: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2011.11.024
- 2011. Remote postconditioning by humoral factors in effluent from ischemic preconditioned rat hearts is mediated via PI3K/Akt-dependent cell-survival signaling at reperfusion. Basic Research in Cardiology. 106: 135-145. doi: 10.1007/s00395-010-0133-0
- 2014. The early life condition. Importance for sleep, circadian rhythmicity, behaviour and response to later life challenges. University of Bergen.
- 2006. Meaning of motivation and spontaneous exploration for the firing properties of place cells in CA1 area of hippocampus: electrophysiological study in freely-moving rats. Institutt for biomedisin, Universitetet i Bergen.
2015-2017: Associate proffesor - substitute, Department of Biological and Medical Psychology, UiB
2014-2017: Advisor. Norwegian Competence Center for Sleep Disorders, Haukeland University Hospital
2010-2014: PhD, Faculty of Psychology, University of Bergen
2008-2009: Trainee in sleep research, Norwegian Competence Center for Sleep Disorders, Haukeland University Hospital
2004-2006: MSc, human physiology, Department of Biomedicine, University of Bergen