- Phone+47 55 58 40 78+47 412 85 142
- Visitor AddressHøyteknologisenteret i Bergen, BioblokkenThormøhlensgate 55, 5. etg5008 BergenRoom:541A2
- Postal AddressPostboks 78045020 Bergen
ETECvac: Development of a vaccine for enterotoxigenic E. coli based on the heat-stable toxin
Enterotoxigenic E. coli (ETEC) expressing the heat-stable toxin (ST) is among the most important causes of diarrheal disease in children less than 5 years of age in low- and middle-income countries. Diarrhea causes ill health and malnutrition, and is the second most common cause of death among children. Currently available prototype ETEC vaccines target colonization factors and the heat-labile toxin, but not ST. They have so far failed to confer adequate protection, and development of an ST-based vaccine has a high priority.
The ETECvac project is based on a unique and comprehensive ST mutational library, established at the University of Bergen (UiB) and Uni Research, which allows an unprecedented detailed study of the toxin's properties. The main aims of the ETECvac project are to design safe and protective ST vaccine candidates, and to establish the first human challenge model for estimating the protective efficacy of an ST vaccine.
The research will be conducted at UiB and Uni Research, in close collaboration with partners at Institut Pasteur, Paris, France, and Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India.
- 2016. A rapid solubility-optimized screening procedure for recombinant subtilisins in E. coli. Journal of Biotechnology. 222: 38-46. doi: 10.1016/j.jbiotec.2016.02.009
- 2016. Towards rational design of a toxoid vaccine against the heatstable toxin of Escherichia coli. Infection and Immunity. 84: 1239-1249. doi: 10.1128/IAI.01225-15
- 2014. Characterization of immunological cross-reactivity between enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli heat-stable toxin and human guanylin and uroguanylin. Infection and Immunity. 82: 2913-2922. doi: 10.1128/IAI.01749-14
- 2013. Genomic sequence and analysis of EhV-99B1, a new coccolithovirus from the Norwegian fjords. Intervirology. 56: 60-66. doi: 10.1159/000341611
- 2013. Effect of substrate competition in kinetic models of metabolic networks. FEBS Letters. 587: 2818-2824. doi: 10.1016/j.febslet.2013.06.025
- 2013. Model of tryptophan metabolism, readily scalable using tissue-specific gene expression data. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 288: 34555-34566. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M113.474908
- 2013. Pipelined data-flow delegated orchestration for data-intensive eScience workflows. International Journal of Web Information Systems. 9: 204-218. doi: 10.1108/IJWIS-05-2013-0012
- 2012. Linkage-disequilibrium-based binning affects the interpretation of GWASs. American Journal of Human Genetics. 90: 727-733. doi: 10.1016/j.ajhg.2012.02.025
- 2012. NAD(+) biosynthesis and salvage - a phylogenetic perspective. The FEBS Journal. 279: 3355-3363. doi: 10.1111/j.1742-4658.2012.08559.x
- 2012. Mass spectrometric analyses of microsomal cytochrome P450 isozymes isolated from beta-naphthoflavone-treated Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) liver reveal insights into the cod CYPome. Aquatic Toxicology. 108: 2-10. doi: 10.1016/j.aquatox.2011.08.018