Our research interests center on the preparation and characterization of new coordination polymers/metal-organic framework with industrially relevant properties in catalysis, adsorption and separation, sensing properties and energy related applications. The research group is also interested in inorganic-organic hybrid materials in general and selected nanoparticle composite materials. The main activity of the research group is within materials discovery and crystal structure determination, characterization of the material’s fundamental chemical properties, and deduction of the corresponding structure-property relationship, frequently with the help of time-resolved synchrotron X-ray diffraction measurements.
Master theses are available for a variety of subjects within the topics of materials science the research group is active in. We are very much interested in synthesis of new materials with interesting properties for application in catalysis, adsorption and separation, renewable energy, and as sensors. The most promising materials are characterized more in depth using a variety of methods, like X-ray diffraction (including in-situ experiments performed at a synchrotron), simultaneous thermogravimetric analysis and differential scanning calorimetry coupled to mass spectrometry, and advanced gas and vapor adsorption and chemisorption.
One research focus is on coordination polymers (also known as metal-organic frameworks), which are inorganic-organic hybrid materials. Coordination polymers are interesting in many areas of application. For instance, they frequently have regular pores of <3 to 20 Å (i.e. 0.3-2 nm) which make them interesting materials for adsorption and separation processes, e.g. for CO2 capture or gas and liquid purification. They can also be functionalized to carry catalytic functions or act as sensors.
In addition, we are engaged in research of nanoparticles on supports, e.g. metal supported catalysts. The interest there is to prepare materials with a narrow size distribution of the nanoparticles and investigate the effect on catalytic properties.
Master theses can span quite a wide range from synthesis to advanced characterization of materials. Most theses will contain most of these tasks to a certain extent. However, it is often possible to put the emphasis on the area a student is most interested in. For instance, students who are mainly interested in experimental synthetic work, a thesis subject may be predominantly concerned with discovery of new materials. On the other hand, a thesis can also be geared more towards thorough characterization of a material. The synthetic part of such a thesis will then play a minor part. It will usually consist of preparing an already known compound for in-depth investigation by the various characterization techniques.
- 2016. Two new series of Coordination Polymers and evaluation of their properties by DFT. Crystal Growth & Design. 16: 339-346.
- 2015. The effect of solvent and temperature in the synthesis of CPO-27-Ni by reflux. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials. 203: 238-244. doi: 10.1016/j.micromeso.2014.10.018
- 2015. Intriguing differences in hydrogen adsorption in CPO-27 materials induced by metal substitution. Journal of Materials Chemistry A. 3: 4827-4839. doi: 10.1039/c4ta05794e
- 2014. Idiosyncrasies of Co2(dhtp): In situ-annealing by methanol. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials. 183: 117-123. doi: 10.1016/j.micromeso.2013.09.002
- 2014. Methyl 5-iodo-2-methoxybenzoate. Acta Crystallographica Section E: Structure Reports Online. 70: o462. doi: 10.1107/S1600536814005868
- 2014. Dimethyl 3,3′-dimethoxybiphenyl-4,4′-dicarboxylate. Acta Crystallographica Section E: Structure Reports Online. 70: o449. doi: 10.1107/S1600536814005613
- 2014. 4,4′-dimethoxybiphenyl-3,3′-dicarboxylic acid. Acta Crystallographica Section E: Structure Reports Online. 70. doi: 10.1107/S1600536814008599
- 2013. Poly[bis(1,3-dimethylimidazolidin-2-one)([mu]2-2,5-dioxidoterephthalato)zirconium(IV)]. Acta Crystallographica Section E: Structure Reports Online. E69: m152. doi: 10.1107/S1600536813003449
- 2013. Poly[bis(1,3-dimethyl-1,3-diazinan-2-one)(2,5-dioxidoterephthalato)zirconium(IV)]. Acta Crystallographica Section E: Structure Reports Online. E69: m153. doi: 10.1107/S1600536813003437
- 2013. A combined experimental and quantum chemical study of CO2 adsorption in the metal-organic framework CPO-27 with different metals. Chemical Science. 4: 3544-3556. doi: 10.1039/c3sc51319j
- 2012. Functionalization of CPO-27-Ni through metal hexacarbonyls: The role of open Ni2+ sites. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials. 157: 56-61. doi: 10.1016/j.micromeso.2011.07.025
- 2012. Nanoporøse materialer – Hva er spesielt med nano-ingenting? Naturen. 136: 159-173.
- 2012. The iron member of the CPO-27 coordination polymer series: Synthesis, characterization, and intriguing redox properties. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials. 157: 62-74. doi: 10.1016/j.micromeso.2011.12.035
- 2012. Introduction to Special Issue: Metal Organic Frameworks. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials. 157: 1-2. doi: 10.1016/j.micromeso.2012.04.044
- 2011. The Mixed-Valence, Mixed-Ligand Complex Co3(thd)3(EtO)4(tert-BuCOO). Zeitschrift für Anorganische und Allgemeines Chemie. 637: 2175-2182. doi: 10.1002/zaac.201100253
- 2011. Polymer nanocomposite coatings based on polyhedral oligosilsesquioxanes: route for industrial manufacturing and barrier properties. Journal of nanoparticle research. 13: 4691-4701. doi: 10.1007/s11051-011-0435-7
- 2011. Methane storage on CPO-27-Ni pellets. Journal of porous materials. 18: 289-296. doi: 10.1007/s10934-010-9378-0
- 2010. Interaction of hydrogen with accessible metal sites in the metal-organic frameworks M-2(dhtp) (CPO-27-M; M = Ni, Co, Mg). Chemical Communications. 46: 4962-4964. doi: 10.1039/c0cc00091d
- 2009. CO Adsorption on CPO-27-Ni Coordination Polymer: Spectroscopic Features and Interaction Energy. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 113: 3292-3299. doi: 10.1021/jp809872w
- 2009. Response of CPO-27-Ni towards CO, N-2 and C2H4. Physical Chemistry, Chemical Physics - PCCP. 11: 9811-9822. doi: 10.1039/b907258f
- 2009. Application of metal-organic frameworks with coordinatively unsaturated metal sites in storage and separation of methane and carbon dioxide. Journal of Materials Chemistry. 19: 7362-7370. doi: 10.1039/b911242a
- 2009. Coordination Polymers Based on the 2,5-Dihydroxyterephthalate Ion and Alkaline Earth Metal (Ca, Sr) and Manganese Cations. Zeitschrift für Anorganische und Allgemeines Chemie. 635: 1953-1958. doi: 10.1002/zaac.200900348
- 2008. Syntheses, structures, and polymorphism of beta-diketonato complexes - Co(thd)(3). Zeitschrift für Anorganische und Allgemeines Chemie. 634. doi: 10.1002/zaac.200700462
- 2008. Local structure of CPO-27-Ni metallorganic framework upon dehydration and coordination of NO. Chemistry of Materials. 20: 4957-4968. doi: 10.1021/cm800686k
- 2008. Adsorption properties and structure of CO2 adsorbed on open coordination sites of metal–organic framework Ni2(dhtp) from gas adsorption, IR spectroscopy and X-ray diffraction. Chemical Communications. 5125-5127. doi: 10.1039/b810574j
- 2008. Base-induced formation of two magnesium metal-organic framework compounds with a bifunctional tetratopic ligand. European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry. 3624-3632. doi: 10.1002/ejic.200701284
- 2008. Structural changes and coordinatively unsaturated metal atoms on dehydration of honeycomb analogous microporous metal-organic frameworks. Chemistry - A European Journal. 14: 2389-2397. doi: 10.1002/chem.200701370
- 2008. Role of exposed metal sites in hydrogen storage in MOFs. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 130: 8386-8396. doi: 10.1021/ja8007159
- 2007. The crystal structures of the room temperature and the low temperature phase of dimethylammonium trifluoromethanesulfonate. Zeitschrift für Anorganische und Allgemeines Chemie. 633.
- 2007. Superoxide compounds of the large pseudo-alkali-metal ions tetramethylammonium, -phosphonium, and -arsonium. Chemistry - An Asian Journal. 2. doi: 10.1002/asia.200600306
- 2007. The inconsistency in adsorption properties and powder XRD data of MOF-5 is rationalized by framework interpenetration and the presence of organic and inorganic species in the nanocavities. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 129. doi: 10.1021/ja0675447
- 2007. The first crystal structure with pyrazine-2-carboxylato-3-amide as a ligand. Synthesis and structure of cis-N, cis-O, trans-O-diaquobis(pyrazine-2-carboxylato-3-amide)nickel dihydrate. Journal of coordination chemistry (Print). 60. doi: 10.1080/00958970600873562
- 2006. Increased dimensionalities of zinc–diphenic acid coordination polymers by simultaneous or subsequent addition of neutral bridging ligands. Dalton Transactions. 586-593. doi: 10.1039/b509746k
- 2006. A scandium coordination polymer constructed from trimeric octahedral building blocks and 2,5-dihydroxyterephthalate. Dalton Transactions. 2055-2057. doi: 10.1039/b516365j
- 2006. Hydrogen adsorp¬tion in a nickel based coordination polymer with open metal sites in the cylindrical cavities of the desolvated framework. Chemical Communications. 959-961. doi: 10.1039/b515434k
- 2006. Dimeric sandwich-like ion pairs in the crystal structure of tetrabutylammonium ozonide ammoniate. Zeitschrift für Anorganische und Allgemeines Chemie. 632: 2276-2280.
- 2005. In situ High Temperature Single Crystal Investigations of a Dehydrated Metal-organic Framework Compound and Field-induced Magnetization of One-dimensional Metal-oxygen Chains. Angewandte Chemie International Edition. 117: 6512-6516. doi: 10.1002/anie.200501508
- 2004. Tetraorganylammonium Superoxide Compounds: Close to Unperturbed Superoxide Ions in the Solid State. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 126: 4689-4696. doi: 10.1021/ja039880i
- 2001. Synthesis and Crystal Structure Determination of Tetramethylammonium Auride. Chemical Communications. 2208-2209.