- Enzyme discovery
- Microbiology (hyper)thermophilic microorganisms
- Thermal stability of enzymes
- 2017. Complete genome sequence of Lutibacter profoundi LP1T isolatet from an Arctic deep-sea hydrothermal vent system. Standards in Genomic Sciences. 12. doi: 10.1186/s40793-016-0219-x
- 2016. Abyssivirga alkaniphila gen. nov., sp. nov., an alkane-degrading, anaerobic bacterium from a deep-sea hydrothermal vent system, and emended descriptions of Natranaerovirga pectinivora and Natranaerovirga hydrolytica. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology. 66: 1724-1734. doi: 10.1099/ijsem.0.000934
- 2016. Novel barite chimneys at the Loki´s Castle vent field shed light on key factors shaping microbial communities and functions in hydrothermal systems. Frontiers in Microbiology. 6:1510. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2015.01510
- 2016. Isolation and complete genome sequence of the thermophilic Geobacillus sp. 12AMOR1 from an Arctic deep-sea hydrothermal vent site. Standards in Genomic Sciences. 11:16: 1-12. doi: 10.1186/s40793-016-0137-y
- 2015. Assessment of the carbon monoxide metabolism of the hyperthermophilic sulfate-reducing archaeon Archaeoglobus fulgidus VC-16 by comparative transcriptome analyses. Archaea. 2015:235384. 12 pages. doi: 10.1155/2015/235384
- 2015. Physiological and genomic characterization of Arcobacter anaerophilus IR-1 reveals new metabolic features in Epsilonproteobacteria. Frontiers in Microbiology. 6. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2015.00987
- 2015. Functional interactions among filamentous Epsilonproteobacteria and Bacteroidetes in a deep-sea hydrothermal vent biofilm. Environmental Microbiology. 17: 4063-4077. doi: 10.1111/1462-2920.12970
- 2014. Identification of key components in the energy metabolism of Archaeoglobus fulgidus by transcriptome analyses. Frontiers in Microbiology. 5:95. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2014.00095
- 2014. Microbial community structure and functioning in marine sediments associated with diffuse hydrothermal venting assessed by integrated meta-omics. Environmental Microbiology. 16: 2699-2710. doi: 10.1111/1462-2920.12283
- 2013. Complete genome sequence of the thermophilic and facultatively chemolithoautotrophic sulfate reducer Archaeoglobus sulfaticallidus PM70-1T. Genome Announcements.
- 2012. Integrated metagenomic and metaproteomic analyses of an ANME-1-dominated community in marine cold seep sediments. Environmental Microbiology. 14: 1333-1346. doi: 10.1111/j.1462-2920.2012.02716.x
- 2011. New insight into stratification of anaerobic methanotrophs in cold seep sediments. FEMS Microbiology Ecology. 78: 233-243. doi: 10.1111/j.1574-6941.2011.01153.x
- 2007. Thermal stability of isocitrate dehydrogenase from Archaeoglobus fulgidus studied by crystal structure analysis and engineering of chimers. Extremophiles. 11. doi: 10.1007/s00792-006-0060-z
- 2007. Thermal stability and biochemical properties of isocitrate dehydrogenase from the thermoacidophilic archaeon Thermoplasma acidophilum. Extremophiles. 11: 397-402. doi: 10.1007/s00792-006-0045-y
- 2007. Biochemical characterization of isocitrate dehydrogenase from Methylococcus capsulatus reveals a unique NAD(+)-dependent homotetrameric enzyme. Archives of Microbiology. 187. doi: 10.1007/s00203-006-0200-y
- 2005. Isocitrate dehydrogenase from the hyperthermophile Aeropyrum pernix: X-ray structure analysis of a ternary enzyme-substrate complex and thermal stability. Journal of Molecular Biology. 345: 559-577.
- 2006. Isocitrate dehydrogenase from extremophiles; Molecular adaptations to high temperatures. University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway. 100 pages.
Stokke R, Hocking WP, Steinsbu BO, Steen IH. (2013). Complete genome sequence of the thermophilic and facultatively chemolithoautotrophic sulfate reducer Archaeoglobus sulfaticallidus strain PM70-1T. Genome Announc. 1(4):e00406-13. doi:10.1128/genomeA.00406-13.
Stokke R, Roalkvam I, Lanzen A, Haflidason H, Steen IH (2012). Integrated metagenomic and metaproteomic analyses of an ANME-1-dominated community in marine cold seep sediments. Environemental microbiology 14(5):1333-1346
Roalkvam I, Jørgensen SL, Yifeng C, Stokke R, Dahle H, Hocking W, Lanzen A, Haflidason H, Steen IH (2011). New insight into stratification of anaerobic methanotrophs in cold seep sediments. FEMS Microbial Ecology 78(2):233-243
Stokke R , Birkeland NK, Steen IH. (2007). Thermal stability and biochemical properties of isocitrate dehydrogenase from the thermoacidophilic archaeon Thermoplasma acidophilum . Extremophiles . Mar; 11(2):397-402
Stokke R, Madern D, Fedøy AE, Karlsen S, Birkeland NK, Steen IH. (2007). Biochemical characterization of isocitrate dehydrogenase from Methylococcus capsulatus reveals a unique NAD(+)-dependent homotetrameric enzyme. Arch. Microbiol . 187(5):361-70
Stokke R , Karlström M, Yang N, Leiros I, Ladenstein R, Birkeland NK, Steen IH. (2007) Thermal stability of isocitrate dehydrogenase from Archaeoglobus fulgidus studied by crystal structure analysis and engineering of chimers. Extremophiles . 11(3):481-93
Karlström, M., Stokke, R ., Steen, IH., Birkeland, N-K., and Ladenstein, R. (2005) Isocitrate Dehydrogenase from the Hyperthermophile Aeropyrum pernix : X-ray Structure Analysis of a Ternary Enzyme-Substrate Complex and Thermal Stability. Journal of Molecular Biology 345(3): 559-577.
• Cultivations of extremophilic microorganisms
• Protein expression and purification
• Protein chemistry and structural biology
• Protein stability; enzyme kinetics and differential scanning calorimetry
• Advanced Bioinformatics
• Cell fractionation of environmental samples
• Proteomics and Mass spectrometry
• Metagenomics, metaproteomics and metatranscriptomics
• Genome assembly and annotation
July 2013 – present; Department of Biology, UoB, Researcher:
Researcher on National Biotek2021 project NorzymeD where the overall goal is to develop competitive enzyme technology for processing of Norwegian biomass to increase value creation in the Norwegian Bio-based industry. Main responsibilities: Screen metagenomes and bacterial genomes from extreme habitats at the Arctic Mid-Ocean Ridge system.
June 2011 – June 2013; Department of Biology, UoB, Researcher:
Researcher at Centre for Geobiology on the Project Biogoldmine, search for possible Industrial applicable bio-compounds using –omics technology.
May 2008 – June 2011; Centre for Geobiology, UoB, Post. Doc: Post.Doc position at Centre for Geobiolgy within the research program “Roots of Life”. Establish a metagenomic and metaproteomic pipeline at Centre for Geobiology, University of Bergen.
September 2007 – April 2008; Centre for Geobiology, UoB, Research fellow:
Sulfate metabolism in Archaeoglobus fulgidus. In this period I was also involved in two other projects:
1) The diversity of microorganisms associated with lowtemperature iron mounds at a hydrothermal vent field along the Artic Ridges.
2) Silicon cell model for the central carbohydrate metabolism of the archaeon Sulfolobus solfataricus under temperature variation” led by Professor Christa Schleper. I was involved in the start of the project by testing the genome stability of different strains of S. solfataricus.
January 2007 – August 2008; Centre for Geobiology, UoB, Engineer:
Temporary employed as overengineer (50%) to develop proteomic tools for physiological studies of
microorganisms involved in central biogeochemical cycles in extreme environments.
2003 – 2006 Form. Department of Microbiology/University of Bergen, Philosophiae doctor (PhD).
Dissertation: Biological adaptations to extreme temperatures.
2001 – 2003 Form. Department of Microbiology/University of Bergen, Master of Science
Dissertation: Cloning, expresion and characterization of recombinant isocitrate dehydrogenase from Methylococcus capsulatus and Thermoplasma acidophilum.
1999 – 2001 University of Bergen, Norway
Bachelor in microbiology/molecular biology.
- The hyperthermophilic sulfate-reducing archaeon Archaeoglobus fulgidus; Regulation of metabolism in response to environmental change
- Metagenomics and metaproteomics of Cold-Seeps and deep arctic hydrothermal vent systems
- Biogoldmine (http://www.uib.no/geobio/en/artikler/2011/04/mining-of-a-norwegian-biogo...)
- NorzymeD; Enzyme development for Norwegian biomass - mining Norwegian biodiversity for seizing Norwegian opportunities in the bio-based economy (http://norzymed.umb.no/)