My research interests include cooperatives, the dialectics between 'community' and economy, the social arrangements of land reform and food activism. I have done fieldwork on rural anti-mafia cooperatives in Sicily (2008-9) focusing on land restitution, neighbourliness and labour relations and on the anti-middleman movement of food distribution side-lining market brokers during the Greek crisis (2013-ongoing). Both researches are funded by different Wenner-Gren grants.
My work examines the ideologised notion of 'community' and explores social relations in and around cooperatives, where members are entangled in, as well as the neighbourhood of apparent 'opposites' (as per mafia/antimafia). Recently I have problematised the idea of 'exception' and 'emergency' to tackle the Greek crisis and explored facets of a double-movement against austerity, focusing on unpacking a native concept: 'solidarity economy'.
Before joining the 'Egalitarianism' project, I was a post-doctoral fellow in the Human Economy programme led by Keith Hart and John Sharp, based in South Africa. I am currently completing a monograph on “Antimafia Cooperatives”. My background, aside Anthropology, includes degrees in Law and Politics. I often contribute opinion pieces, mainly in the Greek press; in 2012, I won the national prize for debut author in the country. Future projects include exploring the relationship of anthropological and fictional writing.
PUBLICATIONS AND MANUSCRIPTS
Jan. 2017. From clans to coops: Confiscated mafia land in Sicily. London and New York: Berghahn. Human Economy series.
REFEREED JOURNAL ARTICLES (published and forthcoming)
2017 Antimafia families: cooperative work and flexible kinship in Sicily. Critique of Anthropology 36(2): TBA.
2017 Façade Egalitarianism: Mafia and Cooperative. Political and Legal Anthropology Review 40(2): TBA.
2016 Solidarity: The egalitarian tensions of a bridge-concept. Introduction to the special issue “The other side of crisis: Solidarity networks in Greece”, eds. Cabot, H. and T. Rakopoulos. Social Anthropology 24(2): 142-151.
2015 Solidarity Tensions: Informality and Sociality in the Greek Crisis. Social Analysis: The International Journal of Social and Cultural Practice 59(3): 85-104.
2015 Which Community for Cooperatives: Peasant Mobilisations, Mafia and the Problem of Community Participation in Sicilian Co-ops. Focaal: Journal of Global and Historical Anthropology 71: 57-80.
2014 Cooperative Modulations: The Antimafia Movement and Struggles over Land and Cooperativism in Eight Sicilian Municipalities. Journal of Modern Italian Studies 19(1): 15-33.
2014 The Crisis Seen from Below, Within and Against: From Solidarity Economy to Food Distribution Cooperatives in Greece. Dialectical Anthropology 38: 189-207.
2014 Resonance of Solidarity: Anti-Middleman Food Distribution in Anti-Austerity Greece. Journal of Modern Greek Studies 32(2): 95-119.
2013 Responding to the Crisis: Food Cooperatives and the Solidarity Economy in Greece. Anthropology Southern Africa 36(3&4): 102-107.
2017 The Future of Solidarity: Food Cooperativism as Labour in Greece. In: Crisis in Greece, Agelopoulos, G. and D. Dalakoglou, editors. London: Pluto Press
2015 On Blasphemy: The paradoxes of mocking and protecting God. In The Event of Charlie Hebdo: Imaginaries of freedom and control. Edited by Alessandro Zagato. London and New York: Critical Interventions, Berghahn, pp. 83-92.
2015 The Solidarity Economy in the Greek Crisis: Movementality, economic democracy and social reproduction. In 'Economy for and against Democracy'. Edited by Keith Hart. London and New York: Berghahn.
2013 Food Activism and Antimafia Cooperatives in Contemporary Sicily. In 'Food Activism: Agency, Democracy and Economy'. Edited by Valeria Siniscalchi and Counihan, Caroline. London: Bloomsbury Academic, pp. 123-42.
2016 On Crisis and Resistance. Review essay for: “The Age of Resistance”, by C. Douzinas and “Crucible of Resistance: Greece, the Eurozone and the World Economic Crisis”, by Laskos, C. and E. Tsakalotos. Social Analysis: The International Journal of Social and Cultural Practice 60(1): 133-141.
2016 The poetics of diaspora: Greek US voices. Review essay. Journal of Modern Greek Studies 34(1): 159-165.
2016 Paradoxes of solidarity: the “anti-middleman” informal cooperatives of Greece. Global Dialogue: Newsletter for the international Sociological Association, 6(1). (June).
2017 Editor. Anthropologies of austerity. London and New York: Berghahn. Critical Interventions series. (Forthcoming in Spring).
2016 Co-editor (with Heath Cabot). The other side of crisis: Solidarity networks in Greece. Social Anthropology 24(2), special issue.
IN PREPARATION/UNDER REVIEW
Divided by Land: Mafia and Antimafia Land in Sicily. Submitted to Journal of Peasant Studies.
The social life of repentance: omertà, confessing and mafia personhood. Submitted to Anthropological Quarterly.
Paranoid no more: Conspiracy theory in grexit Greece. Submitted to Comparative Studies In Society and History.
Bridging urban-rural divides: The anti-middleman solidarity economy of Greece. Submitted to: Urbanities (special issue edited by Tsimbiridou, F., and R., Deltsiou).
SELECTED BOOK REVIEWS AND REVIEW ARTICLES
2016 Review for Knight, D., History, time and economic crisis in Greece, Palgrave (2015). Anthropological Quarterly, 88(3): TBA. (June).
2015 Solidarity, ethnography and the de-instituting of dissent. Occasional Papers, 6. Journal of Modern Greek Studies. Available at: https://www.press.jhu.edu/journals/journal_of_modern_greek_studies/Theodoros_Rakopoulos.pdf
2015 Review for the book “Arts of the political: new openings for the Left”. Edited by Ash Amin and Thrift, Nigel. Duke University Press, 2013. Critique of Anthropology 34(2): 114-116.
2015 ‘Exception’, solidarity, and conferral politics: crossroads of the ‘Greek’ crisis. Available at: http://allegralaboratory.net/exception-solidarity-and-conferral-politics-crossroads-of-the-greek-crisis/
2015 The future lasts a long time…or is it here already? The Left in power in Greece. FocaalBlog, 2 February. Available at: www.focaalblog.com/2015/02/02/theodoros-rakopoulos-the-future-lasts-a-long-time-or-is-it-here-already-the-left-in-power-in-greece.
2015 Between event and ritual: the SYRIZA elections in Greece, Egalitarianism. Available at: http://egalitarianism.no/event-ritual-syriza-elections-greece/.
2014 Exploring the Invisible Aspects of the Political. Review for the book “Greek Paradoxes: Patronage, Civil Society and Violence”. Edited by Katerina Rozakou and Gara, Eleni, Alexandria: Athens, 2013. The Books Journal 42: 66-68. (In Greek).
2014 Review for the book “Marxisms in the 21st century”. Edited by Michelle Williams and Satgar, Vishwas.Wits University Press, 2013. Transformation 85: 133-136.
SELECTED ARTICLES IN OTHER LANGUAGES
2015 (2013) Responses to Crisis: Food Cooperativism in Greece. Mosim and Salim 6: 74-93 (in Korean).
2014 The informal solidarity economy in the hidden welfare of the crisis. Sychrona Themata 120: 16-24. (In Greek).
2012 The land as a right: community, confiscations and neighbourliness in the case of the ‘antimafia cooperatives’ of Sicily. Sychrona Themata 116: 41-50. (In Greek).
2015 Grecia: Al de la de la excepcion y entras solidaridad. Abaco, 83/84: 114-120. (In Spanish).
2015 The submerged political. Review for the book “Politics of the everyday: border, body and citizenship in Greece”. Edited by Evthymios Papataxiarchis. Alexandria: Athens, 2013. Avgi, 15 March. (Review Article). (In Greek).
2014 Exploring the Invisible Aspects of the Political. Review for the book “Greek Paradoxes: Patronage, Civil Society and Violence”. Edited by Katerina Rozakou and Gara, Eleni, Alexandria: Athens, 2013. The Books Journal 42: 66-68. (Review article). (In Greek).
- 2017. From Clans to Co-ops: Confiscated Mafia Land in Sicily. Berghahn Books. 236 pages. ISBN: 978-1-78533-400-9.
- 2015. The Solidarity Economy in the Greek Crisis: Movementality, economic democracy and social reproduction. Berghahn Books. 20 pages. ISBN: 978-1-78238-844-9.
- 2016. On Crisis and Resistance. Review essay for: “The Age of Resistance”, by C. Douzinas and “Crucible of Resistance: Greece, the Eurozone and the World Economic Crisis”, by Laskos, C. and E. Tsakalotos. Social Analysis: Journal of Cultural and Social Practice. 60: 133-141.
- 2016. The poetics of diaspora: Greek US voices. Journal of modern Greek studies (Print). 34: 159-165.
- 2016. The Anti-Middleman Movement in Greece. Global Dialogue: Newsletter for the international Sociological Association. 6.
- 2016. Review for Knight, D., History, time and economic crisis in Greece, Palgrave (2015). Anthropological Quarterly. 88: 1025-1028.
- 2016. Responses to Crisis: Food Cooperativism in Greece. Mosim and Salim. 6: 74-93.
- 2016. Solidarity: The egalitarian tensions of a bridge-concept. Social Anthropology. 24: 142-151. doi: 10.1111/1469-8676.12298
- 2015. Review for the book “Arts of the political: new openings for the Left”, by Ash Amin and Thrift, Nigel. Critique of Anthropology. 34.
- 2015. Which community for cooperatives? Peasant mobilizations, the Mafia, and the problem of community participation in Sicilian co-ops. Focaal: journal of global and historical anthropology. 2015: 57-70. doi: 10.3167/fcl.2015.710106
- 2015. Solidarity’s tensions: Informality, sociality, and the greek crisis. Social Analysis: Journal of Cultural and Social Practice. 59: 85-104. doi: 10.3167/sa.2015.590305
- 2015. Between event and ritual: the SYRIZA elections in Greece. Egalitarianism.
- 2015. ‘Exception’, solidarity, and conferral politics: crossroads of the ‘Greek’ crisis. Allegra.
- 2015. 2015. The future lasts a long time…or is it here already? The Left in power in Greece. Focaalblog. Published 2015-02-02.
- 2015. Tensions That Matter: Informality and Sociality in the Greek Crisis’ Solidarity Economy. Social Analysis: Journal of Cultural and Social Practice. 59.
- 2015. On Blasphemy: The Paradoxes of Protecting and Mocking God. Kapittel, pages 83-92. In:
- 2015. The Event of Charlie Hebdo. Imaginaries of Freedom and Control. Berghahn Books. 114 pages. ISBN: 978-1-78533-075-9.