The main activities of the seismology group are education, research and outreach in seismology.
The main activities are:
- Operate the Norwegian National Seismic Network of more than 30 stations.
- Operate a seismological laboratory for teaching seismic instrumentation, development of seismic equipment and maintenance of field equipment.
- Develop and distribute free seismological software.
- Collect information on felt earthquakes in Norway.
- Inform the public in case of recent earthquakes.
- Host visits from school classes, gives popular scientific talks, and other earthquake related information.
- Give courses in earthquake seismology and provide thesis opportunities at Master and PhD levels.
Areas of research include:
- seismo tectonics
- earth structure
- earthquake location
- seismic hazard
- active tectonics
- paleo seismology