Please read through these instructions before filling in the application form.
Make sure that you complete the two complementary parts of the application process.
Part one creates the application. Part two registers your application in the University of Bergen application system.
Both parts are internet-based. No other forms of application will be accepted.
Below, you find the link to part one. When you successfully complete part one, you will get a confirmation email a link to part two and instruction of how to proceed.
The Bergen Summer Research School offers PhD candidates and junior researchers the opportunity to work together with internationally renowned scholars.
In order to participate, you need to have a good command of the English language. Full participation in the course-specific modules, reading of the provided literature prior to the summer school, and participation in all plenary events and roundtables is required.
Participants may take only one of the seven parallel courses.
Upon acceptance, the participants will be asked to submit a short essay of 2-4 pages from their own research on a research question decided by each course leader. This will be used as the base for presenting your research to the rest of the course.
Participation at the BSRS will be credited under the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS).
Participants are expected to write an essay (in a form of a publishable manuscript of 10-20 pages) to be submitted after the end of the summer school. This will give a total of 10 ECTS. Deadline for submission will be decided your course leader.
It is also possible to participate without producing an essay. This will give you 4 ECTS.
Students will have access to the electronic resources of the University Library, from time of acceptance until the end of 2018.
Before you start your application, please check that you have the required academic background. Only applicants who meet the admission requirements will be considered.
The courses are designed for PhD level and are open to:
- Candidates currently enrolled in a PhD programme
- Junior researchers — including those in their last stages of their master programme, with extensive working experience, and those who have recently completed their PhD, or are enrolled in a post-doc programme.
Create the application
Before you start the application process, make sure you have the following documents:
- Abstract of your ongoing research (maximum 250 words). Please outline main objectives, framework of the research, and method(s).
- Motivational letter (maximum 500 words) which should include:
- your research interest in the issues of BSRS 2018
- course expectations
- what you hope to gain from attending BSRS
- Your CV and educational background
- Your current position
- What is the highest achieved degree and from which institution?
- Educational background (maximum 500 words)
- Work experience (maximum 500 words)
- Publications. Register up to ten publications, if any.
- Indicate your English proficiency, as it is the only language of instruction and communication
- Overview of stipend requirements, should you wish to apply for one. Read the practical information section, and check if you are eligible for stipends.
Upon submission, you will receive a confirmation email with instructions of how to continue to part two of your application. If you did not receive this confirmation within 24 hours, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Start the application (you may start the application, save it, and resume until the application deadline).
Register the application
Follow the instructions in the confirmation email you receive after you have submitted your application in part one., follow the instruction and the link
In order to register your application at the University of Bergen, you need the following documents:
- The attached application (pdf) you received with the confirmation email.
- Scanned copy of your ID (e.g. passport/ identity card/ driving license)
- Transcript/diploma of your highest degree
- A letter of recommendation signed by your supervisor
- A letter verifying your qualifications and current position signed by the head of your institution/department
Please note that the two letters must be written on official stationary of your institution and stamped.
Your application is officially complete when:
- You have filled in your complete home/residential address
- You have selected a course(s)
- You have uploaded all the required documents
- You have received confirmation by email
You can change or update your application until 15 February 2018.