Admission of master's degree applicants residing in Norway
The Faculty of Social Sciences offers a number of master's degree programmes both in English and Norwegian. International applicants residing in Norway must apply for admission to master's degree programmes electronically at the faculty.
What may I apply for?
Programmes starting in the autumn semester
Master's programmes in Norwegian:
- Masterprogram i administrasjon og organisasjonsvitenskap
- Masterprogram i sammenliknende politikk
- Masterprogram i sosialantropologi
- Masterprogram i sosiologi
Master's programmes in English
- Master's Programme in Development Geography
- Master's Programme in Public Administration
- Master's Programme in System Dynamics
- The Master's Programme in Anthropology of Development
This programme is offered every second year, next time in August 2014
Programmes starting in both autumn and spring semester
Master's programmes in Norwegian
Applicants must normally have obtained an undergraduate/bachelor's degree of 4 years' duration, or have an equivalent educational background.
Relevant academic background
The degree must include courses equalling at least 1 - 1 1/2 years of full-time studies in a subject relevant to that of the programme applied for.
Average grade of C
To qualify for admission, the applicant must have an average grade of C or higher in the major of their Bachelor degree.
English Language Requirements
Non-native English speakers must document their English language proficiency in order to be considered for admission to Master's degree programmes at the University of Bergen. You will find more information about these requirements here.
Please note that some master programmes may have additional admission requirements. Please refer to the website of each programme for more information.
How do I apply
You need a valid residence permit in Norway and a Norwegian ID number.
- 1 November: Norwegian master's programmes starting in the spring semester
- 15 April: English master's programmes and all Norwegian master's programmes starting in the autumn semester.
How do you apply?
When you have applied to a master’s programme, you will need to upload all your documentation electronically. All documents must be scanned and uploaded in PDF-format.
If your bachelor diploma is issued from a Norwegian university or college and you have already completed your degree please include a copy of the entire diploma.
If you have a foreign degree, please include the following:
- Certified copy of Bachelor Diploma
- Certified translation of Diploma unless it is issued in English, Norwegian, Danish or Swedish
- NOKUT recognition, if you have this
- Official course description and curriculum for all relevant courses must be enclosed.
- An official description of the grading and weighting system used in your diploma
- Please note that we cannot evaluate your education/qualification unless all the requested documents are included
- Information on which courses you are taking this semester must be included if you are completing your degree this semester.
If you are completing your degree this semester, the final results must be submitted at Søknadsweb as soon as possible.
Once the faculty has received your application, the evaluation process will start. The result of the evaluation and the possible offer of admission will be made in July. The result will be communicated to you through Søknadsweb. Your will also receive a letter outlining the decision.