Overview of the printed and electronic resources in mathematics and statistics.
The Mathematics and Natural Sciences Library offers a variety of printed and electronic books, journals, reference books and data bases in mathematics and statistics. Feel free to contact the library for guidance in literature search.
New titles in Mathematics
Find the right shelf
Books in mathematics are sorted by the Dewey Decimal Classification, with numbers that start with 51. Click the links below to search whole categories in Oria. Some of the most important sub classes are also listed below.
510 General mathematics
511 General principles of mathematics
- 512.02 Abstract Algebra
- 512.2 Groups and group theory
- 512.3 Fields
- 512.4 Rings
- 512.5 Linear algebra
- 512.6 Category theory, homological algebra, K-theory
- 512.7 Number theory
- 515.2 General aspects of analysis
- 515.3 Differential calculus and equations: 515.35 Differential equations ( 515.352 Ordinary | 515.353 Partial)
- 515.4 Integral calculus and equations
- 515.6 Other analytic methods: 515.62 Calculus of finite differences; 515.63 Vector, tensor and spinor analysis; 515.64 Calculus of variations
- 515.7 Functional analysis
- 515.9 Functions of complex variables
518 Numerical analysis
Many books have chapters on numerical analysis related to the main theme of the book. If, for example, a book is mainly about differential equations, with perhaps a chapter about numerical solutions, it will be found under differential equations (515.35) - if it's primarily about numerical solution of differential equations it will be found under 518.63 (ODEs) or 518.64 (PDEs).
- 518.0285 Programs for numerical analysis (Matlab, Octave, etc) and programming (Numerical Recipes, GSL).
- 518.2 Specific methods, e.g. 518.25 finite elements, 518.282 Monte Carlo.
- 518.43 Numerical linear algebra
- 518.6 Numerical methods in analysis
519 Probabilities and applied mathematics
- 519.2 Probabilitis
- 519.3 Game theory
- 519.5 Statistical matematics
- 519.6 Matematical optimization
- 519.7 Programing (in the sense of optimization
For some of the courses in mathematics and statistics, the required and recommended literature is available electronically via the University Library. The links below lead to the library's search engine Oria. You can access the text by clicking on the "View It" tab.
MAT230 Nonlinear Differential Equations
MAT252 Continuum Mechanics
- J Lubliner. Introduction to Solid Mechanics: An Integrated Approach
- E B Tadmor. Continuum Mechanics and Thermodynamics: From Fundamental Concepts to Governing Equations
- P K Kundu. Fluid Mechanics
MAT254 Flow in Porous Media
MAT322 Algebraic Geometry II
STAT110 Basic Course in Statistics
STAT111 Statistical Methods
STAT200 Applied Statistics
- P Dalgaard. Introductory statistics with R
- G Smith et al. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R
- B Shahbaba. Biostatistics with R
- T W MacFarland. Introduction to Data Analysis and Graphical Presentation in Biostatistics with R : Statistics in the Large
STAT220 Stochastic Processes
STAT230 Life Insurance Mathematics
STAT231 Non-Life Insurance Mathematics
If you are off campus and click the following links, you will first be directed to a log on screen for the UiB proxy server, to get access even though you're outside the UiB network.