This library subject guide is tailored resources within economics
These are considered top five journals within economics
- American economic review
- Quartely Journal of Economics
- Journal of political economy
- Review of economic studies
Articles from academic journals gives you the research front and more in-depth discussion within different topis. There are hundreds of different journals within economics - with various focus and quality.
Where to search for academic articles
- Oria is all the library in one search, and let you search both the physical catalogue and multiple databases at the same time.
- Proquest Business - these electronic documents are also visible in Oria, but let you conduct a focused search within business
- Web of Science - Comprehensive article index from 1945 and onward.
- Google Scholar - Free search engine limited to academic materials.
In doubt where or how to conduct a search? Ask you subject librarian for recommendations.
Encyclopedias and dictionaries
- Palgrave dictionary of economics Comprehensive dictionary with 3000 in-depth icles on both topics and important economists
- Oxford dictionary of economics - Clear and concise definitions of over 3400 key economic terms and theory
- Palgrave dictionary of emerging markets and transition economics - thematic dictionary
- Encyclopedia of finance (Springer) Comprised of over 1000 individual definitions and chapters
- International encyclopedia of social and behavioral sciences (Elsevier) General social science encyclopedia
Books on economics
Using Oria, you will find the tab "Get it" where status and location is given for the document. The book collection is organised by the Dewey classification system, where economics is divided into the following main categories:
- 330 Economics
- 331 Labor economics
- 332 Financial economics
- 333 Economics of land and energy
- 334 Cooperatives
- 335 Socialism and related systems
- 336 Public finance
- 337 International economics
- 338 Production
- 339 Macroeconomics and related topics
Contact the library desk if you have any issues locating a document
Handbooks are thematic collections of articles with thorough introductions to topics and a critical survey of the current state of scholarship by leading scholars.
- Handbook of labor economics (Elsevier)
- Handbook of development economics (Elsevier)
- Handbook of Environmental economics (Elsevier)
- See all handbooks from Elsevier
- Handbook of Financial time series (Springer)
- Handbook of Financial econometrics and statistics (Springer)
- Selected handbooks from Oxford University Press Elgar
- Selected handbooks from Edward Elgar
Working papers report research findings well in advance of formal publication. High-quality working papers are published by research organizations such as
as well as by academic departments and nongovernmental organizations.
- Statistics Norway
- Statistics Denmark
- Statistics Sweden
- Eurostat - Statistics from the European union member states and economic partners
- OECD iLibrary - books, papers and statistics from the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
- World Bank - publications and data on countries and regions
- International Monetary Fund - publications and data on countries and regions
Master thesis from department of economics
Approved master thesis are in most cases available in BORA - Bergen Open Research Archive
How to start searching for information
Academic information retrieval is a process that should involve some planning. Learn more at Search and write (sokogskriv.no) on
- Getting an overview
- Plan your searches
- In-depth searing
- Systematic searching
Useful resources on academic writing
- Search and write - covers all aspects of the process: searching, reading, writing and referencing sources
- The Citation compass - how to reference and evaluate sources
You have several books on academic writing available in the library. See shelf signature 808.066 for titles like How to write your master's thesis or How to write and publish a scientific paper.
The library offers both general and tailored courses to students and staff. Contact subject librarian (below) for more information.
Book a librarian
At the library desk you can get help and guidance in searching our catalogs and databases, or to find your way around the physical collections.
Students and employees at the University of Bergen can also book a librarian, who can help with information searching and how to locate relevant literature.
Endnote is a reference manager tool that lets you collect, organise and manage different sources through the research process. Endnote is available for download on pc, mac and ipad. An online solution is also available. Get Endnote