Bente E. Moen, Professor, Section for Occupational Medicine
Below I have given a brief summary of my main research
interests. If you share my interest in any of these topics,
why not send me a mail? This is a short version of my CV.
||Name: Bente E. Moen, professor, dr. med.|
Work address: Section for Occupational Medicine
Institute of Public Health and Primary Health Care
University of Bergen
Kalfarveien 31, N-5018 Bergen, Norway
Telephone +47 55 58 61 12
My main area of research is in "occupational epidemiology". Epidemiology is a very useful tool in preventive occupational medicine, especially when epidemiological studies are connected to exposure studies. My major research projects earlier have been in the field of neurotoxicology, where I have concentrated on effects of organic solvents and other petroleum products on the human nervous system.
The past years, I have had the pleasure to co-operate with collegues in developing countries. We have started several studies concerning "Respiratory problems among workers in dusty industries". This topic is very interesting.
Reproduction and work
The past year my interest for reproduction and work has increase. I now participate in two studies on reproduction among hairdressers, and is planning a study related to reproduction and exposure to electromagnetic fields. This is a difficult but very exiting area.
Some of my major studies have been performed among seamen exposed to organic solvents during transport on tankers. The past years I have been working with chemical hazards among offshore workers in the petroleum industry.
- 1981 Cand.med., University of Bergen
- 1983 Authorisation as a physician in Norway
- 1991 Dr.med., (thesis), University of Bergen
- 1996 Specialist in Occupational Medicine
- 1982-1998 About. 600 hours of post-graduate courses in occupational medicine,
occupational hygiene and epidemiology
- 1997 Professor in occupational medicine
- 1981-1983 Internship
- 1983-1984 Assistent doctor, Solli nervesanatorium (psychiatry)
- 1984-1985 General practioner, Institute of general practice
- 1985-1988 Research Fellow, Neurological departement, Haukeland hospital
- 1988-1989 Occupational physician, Bergen occupational health services
- 1996-1998 Chair, Institute of Public Health and Primary
Health Care, University of Bergen
- 1990-dd Ass. Professor/Professor and section leader at Section for Occupational Medicine, Institute of Public Health and Primary Health Care, University of Bergen
- 2001-dd Director (20% position) at UNIFOB - a research foundation affiliated to the
University of Bergen. Vice director from 2005.
- Have stayed for longer periods in New York, Hamburg, Tanzania, Tallin, Prague and Spain.
SURVEILLANCE AND RESEARCH GROUPS
Surveillance have been given to these PhD students:
- Cand.med. Nils Bull, with the project "Risk factors for occupational injuries" (2002).
- Cand.polit. Steffen Torp, with the project "The importance of the psychosocial work (2002)
- Cand. San Tone Morken "Musculoskeletal disorders in the aluminium industry" (2003)
- Cand. Scient Bjørg Eli Hollund " "Healthy hairdressers?"(2004)
- Cand. Med. Bjarte Sanne "Anxiety and Depression in working life", cosupervisor (2004)
- Cand.med. Julius Mwaiselage "Dust exposure and respiratory health effects in the cement industry" (2005)
Surveillance is today given to seven doctoral students working on their theses:
- Dordi Høivik: HES Culture in the petroleum industry
- Kjersti Steinsvåg: Exposure to carcinogenica agents in the petroleum industry
- Jorunn Kirkeleit: Benzene and adverse health effects offshore
- Kjersti Alsaker: Domestic violence
- Jan Vilhelm Bakke: Indoor air
- Simon Mamuya: Respiratory disorders in coal mining
- Nils magerøy: Psychosocial factors in the Navy
At present I am the leader of the following research groups:
- Health. Environment and Safety in the Navy
- Health, Environment and Safety in the Petroleum industry
- Dusty industries in developing countries
SELECTED COMMITTEE WORK
1991 Member, Committee for Interfacultary Research in Working Life, Bergen
1991-1993 Member, Committe for the speciality in Occupational Medicine, The Norwegian Association for Medical Physcians
1992-1994 Leader, Fond for Occupational health services in the Western Norway
1993-1994 Member of committe at The Governmental Health Department,
Health effects of electromagnetic fields
1993-2000 Member of steering committe for Work and Health, Norwegian Research Council
1992-1998 Member of European Federation of Neurological Sciences Scientist Panel on Environmental Neurology
1997-dd Member of FOU-committe at the Directorate of Labor Inspection, Oslo.
1998-2001 Leader of the steering committe for X-lab AS, Laboratory for occupational hygiene.
2001- dd Member of board X-lab AS.
2000-2003 Member of the board of EASOM (European Academic Society of Occupational
2003-dd Member of board at The Institute of Public Health and Primary Health Care.
2004- Editor of Ramazzini, the journal for The Norwegian Association of Occupational Physicians.
2004- Chair of the scientific and planning committee for EPICOH 2005 .
2005 Member of board of Helse Vest.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS 2001-2005
(original articles, books and book chapters)
- Bråtveit, M., McCormack, D. & Moen, B.E. (2001) Activity profiles of the occupational services in a multinational company. Occupational Medicine, 51; 168-173.
- Bråtveit, M. & Moen, B.E. (2001) Exposure to organic solvents during cosmetic finishing of
cars. Occupational Medicine, 51; 396-400.
- Bull N, Riise T, Moen BE. Mechanisms of occupational injury reporting to
insurance compensations in Norway 1991 to 1996. Am J Ind Med 2001;39:312-319.
- Bull N, Riise T, Moen BE. Occupational injuries to fisheries workers in Norway reported
to insurance companies from 1991 to 1996. Occupational Medicine 2001;51:299-304.
- Torp S, Riise T, Moen BE. The impact of social and organizational factors on how workers
cope with musculoskeletal symptoms. Physical Therapy 2001;81:1328-1338
- Torp S, Riise T, Moen BE. The impact of psychosocial work environment on the
occurrence of musculoskeletal pain: A prospective study. Journal of Occupational
and Environmental Medicine 2001; 43: 120-126
- Morken T, Riise T, Moen B et al. Frequent musculoskeletal symptoms and reduced health related to quality of life among industrial workers. Occup Med 2002;52:91-98
- Morken T, Moen B, Riise T et al. Effects of a training program to improve musculoskeletal
health among industrial workers - effects of supervisors' role in the intervention. Int J Ind
- Moen, B.E., Bråtveit, M., Mashalla, Y., Maalim, H. (2002). Dust and respiratory problems in
small-scale gem mines. A pilot study in Mererani, Tanzania. Report nr. 1/2002 (24 pages) from
Section for Occupational Medicine, University of Bergen.
- Bull N, Riise T, Moen BE. Work-related injuries and occupational health and safety
factors in smaller enterprises - a prospective study. Occ Med 2002;52:70-74.
- Riise T, Moen BE, Kyvik KR. Organic solvents and the risk of multiple sclerosis.
- Riise T, Moen B, Nortvedt MW. Occupation, life-style factors and health-related quality
of life. The Hordaland Health Study. Journal of Occupational and Environmental
- Riise T, Moen BE, Kyvik KR. Organic solvents and the risk of multiple sclerosis - reply
(letter). Epidemiology 2003;14:507.
- Morken T, Moen BE, Riise T et al. Low back pain and widespread pain predict sickness
absence among industrial workers. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 2003, 4:21-24.
- Sanne B, Mykletun A, Dahl A, Moen BE, Tell G. Occupational differences in levels of anxiety
and depression. The Hordaland Health Study. J Occ Environ Med 2003;45:628-638.
- Moen, Bente Elisabeth. Arbeidsmedisin - samfunnsmedisin i arbeidslivet. I: Larsen, Øivind; Alvik, Anne; Hagestad, Kristian og Nylenna, Magne, red. Helse for de mange. 1. utg. Oslo: Gyldendal; 2003. s. 491-506.
- Bråtveit, Magne; Hollund, Bjørg Eli og Moen, Bente E. Reduced exposure to organic solvents by use of water based paint systems in car repair shops. International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health 2003; Epub, Nov07.
- Moen, Bente Elisabeth (red.). Håndbok for bedriftshelsetjenesten Arbeidsmiljøfaktorer som påvirker hele mennesket. 2. rev. utg. Oslo: Arbeidsmiljøforlaget; 2003. 405 s.
- Moen, Bente Elisabeth (red.). Håndbok for bedriftshelsetjenesten Kjemiske helsefaktorer. 2. rev. utg. Oslo: Arbeidsmiljøforlaget; 2003. 774 s.
- Moen, Bente Elisabeth (red.). Håndbok for bedriftshelsetjenesten Fysiske og biologiske arbeidsmiljøfaktorer, samt arbeidsulykker. Oslo: Arbeidsmiljøforlaget; 2003. 442 s.
- Hollund, Bjørg Eli; Moen, Bente Elisabeth; Egeland, Grace og Florvåg, Erik. Prevalence of airway symptoms and total serum immunoglobulin E among hairdressers in Bergen: A four-year prospective study. J occ environ health 2003; 45:1201-1206.
- Suhr, Hilde; Bang, Berit og Moen, Bente Elisabeth. Respiratory health among quartz-exposed slate workers-a problem even today. Occupational medicine 2003; 53:406-407.
- Joshi, Sunil; Moen, Bente E. og Bråtveit, Magne. Possible occupational lung cancer in Nepal. J of Nepal Medical Association 2003; 42:1-5.
- Bråtveit, Magne; Moen, Bente E.; Yohana, Mashalla og Maalim, Hatua. Dust exposure during small scale mining in Tanzania: a pilot study. Ann Occ Hyg 2003;47(3):235-240.
- Sanne B, Mykletun A, Moen BE, Dahl AA, Tell GS. Farmers are at risk for anxiety and depression. Occup Med 2004;2:92-100.
- Bråtveit M, Haaland IM, Moen BE. Exposure to sulfuric acid in zinc production. Ann Occup Hyg 2004;2:159-170.
- Nilsson R, Nordlinder R, Moen BE, Øvrebø S, Bleie K, Skorve AH, Hollund BE, Tagesson C.
Increased urinary excretion of 8-OHDG in engine room personell exposed to polycyclic
aromatic hydrocarbons. Occ Environ Health 2004; 61(8):692-6.
- Bull N, Høvding G, Riise T, Moen BE. Kan arbeidsrelaterte øyeskader unngås? Tidsskrift for Den norske lægeforening 2004;124(21):2776-2779
- Bråtveit, M., Hollund, BE. & Moen, B.E. (2004) Reduced exposure to organic solvents by use of water based paint systems in car repair shops. Int Arch Occ Env Health, 77(1):31-
- Bråtveit, M., Haaland, I.M., Moen, B.E. & Målsnes, A. (2004) Exposure to sulphuric acid in zinc
production. Ann Occup Hyg. 48(2):159-170.
- Mwaiselage, J., Bråtveit, M., Moen, B.E. & Mashalla, Y. (2004) Cement dust exposure and ventilatory function impairment: An exposure-response study. J Occ EnvMed, 46: 658-667.
- Moen B, Steinsvåg K, Bråtveit M. Hva vet vi om kjemisk helsefare offshore? (Chemical hazards offshore, in Norwegian).Tidsskrift for Norske Lægeforening 2004; 124; 2627-9.
- Morken T, Torp S, Bakke Å, Tveito TH. Muskel- og skjelettplager innen petroleumsvirksomheten på sokkelen (Musculoskeletal disorders offshore, in Norwegian). Tidsskr Nor Lægeforen 2004; 124: 2623-6.
- Morken T, Torp S, Moen BE, Riise T. Musculoskeletal disorders in occupations in Norway: The
Hordaland Health Study. Occup Environ Med 2004; 61: e57
- Morken T, Moen BE. HMS-Petroleum Research (in Norwegian) Forskningsrådet satser stort! Ramazzini 3-2004, 6-7.
- Moen BE. Work and health in the petroleum industry (in Norwegian) Arbeidsmiljø og helse i oljeindustrien. Tidsskrift for Norske Lægeforening 2004; 124;2599.
- Mwaiselage J, Bråtveit M, Moen BE, Yost M. Variability in Dust Exposure in a Cement Factory
in Tanzania. Ann Occ Hyg 2005;49:511-519.
- Mamuya S, Bråtveit M, Mwaiselage J, Mashalla Y, Moen BE. High exposure to respirable dust and quartz in a labour intensive coal mine in Tanzania. Ann Occ Hyg (in press)
- Steinsvaag K, Bråtveit M, Moen BE. Exposure to oil vapour and oil mist during offshore
drilling. Ann Occ Hyg (in press)
- Kirkeleit J, Bråtveit M, Moen BE. Exposure to benzene on an crude oil production ship operating on
the Norwegian continental shelf. Ann Occ Hyg (accepted for publication)
- Morken T, Bråtveit M, Moen BE. Rapportering av hørselsskader i norsk offshoreindustri i
perioden 1992-2003. Tidsskr Nor Legeforen (in press)
- Moen BE.Fysisk miljø. I: Eid J og Johnsen BH. Operativ psykologi. Fagbokforlaget, 2005, s 331-346.
- Moen BE. Helse, miljø og sikkerhet om bord. I: Schreiner A, Aanderud L. Medisin om bord.
Fagbokforlaget, 2005, s 188-193.
- Gould K, Knappen Røed B, Koefoed V, Bridger RS, Moen BE. Performance-shaping factors
associated with navigation accidents in the Royal Norwegian Navy. Military Psychology
(accepted for publication)
- Mageroy N, Mollerlokken OJ, Riise T, Koefoed V, Moen BE. A higher risk of congenital
anomalies in the offspring of fathers who served aboard a Norwegian missile torpedo
boat. Occupational and Environmental Medicine. (accepted for publication).
Home page Department
Home page University
Department of Public Health and Primary Health Care, last