- 1981: Cand.med., University of Bergen, Norway
- 1983: Registered MD
- 1984-85: University Hospital, Boston University, Boston, USA. Research Fellowship at Department of Physical medicine and rehabilitation
- 1985-90: MD at Department of Neurology, Haukeland University Hospital
- 1988: MD at Department of Neurosurgery, Haukeland University Hospital
- 1989: MD at Department of Psychiatry, Haukeland University Hospital
- 1990: MD at Department of Neurosurgery, Haukeland University Hospital
- 1990-93: Research fellow at University of Bergen
- 1991: Registered specialist in Neurology
- 1993-2004: MD at Department of Neurology and Department of Physical medicine and rehabilitation, Haukeland University Hospital
- 1997: Research fellow at Department of Orthopaedics, Gøteborg University, Sweden
- 1999: Doctoral thesis, PhD, Medical Faculty, University of Bergen
- 2002: Associate Professor (20% position) at Section for Physiotherapy Science, Department of Public Health and Primary Health Care, Medical Faculty, University of Bergen
- Skouen JS, Wainapel S, Willock M. "Paraplegia following epidural anestesia.
A case study and literature review". Acta Neurologica Scand 1985:72:437-443
- Skouen JS, Slåttebrekk O, Wester K. Ryggpasienter på venteliste. En kostnadsberegning. [What do the waiting lists cost? A study of patients with backache] Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 1989; 109 (31):3235-3238
- Medforfatter i heftet "Smertebehandling i Norge". Et tverrfaglig arbeidsseminar. Lundbeck A/S 1989
- Skouen JS, Larsen JL, Vollset SE. Cerebrospinal fluid proteins as indicators of nerve root
compression in patients with sciatica caused by disc herniation. Spine 1993:18:72-79
- Skouen JS, Larsen JL, Vollset SE, Grønning M. Cerebrospinal fluid proteins and
sciatica caused by lumbar disc herniation. European Spine Journal 1994:3:107-111
- Skouen JS, Larsen JL, Vollset SE, Cerebrospinal fluid proteins related to clinical findings in patients with sciatica caused by lumbar disc herniation. Journal of spinal Disorders 1994:7:12-18
- Larsen JL, Skouen JS, Vik H. Contrast media leakage to the cerebrospinal fluid after intra-venous injection. Comparison of stroke patients and controls. Acta Radiologica 1995:36:440-447
- Skouen JS, Larsen JL, Gjerde IO, Hegrestad SE, Vollset SE. Cerebrospinal fluid protein
concentrations in patients with sciatica caused by lumbar disc herniation: An investigation of
biochemical, neurologic, and radiologic predictors of long-term outcome. Journal of
Spinal Disorders 1997:10:505-511
- Skouen JS, Otani K, Olmarker K, Rosengren L, Brisby H, Rydevik B. Changes in protein markers
in CSF in experimental nerve root injury. An experimental study on effects of slow-onset
chronic compression or biochemical effects of nucleus pulposus on sacral nerve roots.
- Haldorsen EMH, Kronholm K, Skouen JS, Ursin H. Multimodal cognitive behavioural treatment of
patients sicklisted for musculoskeletal pain. A randomized controlled study. Scand J Rheumatol
- Haldorsen EMH, Kronholm K, Skouen JS, Ursin H. Predictors for outcome of a multimodal cognitive behavioural treatment program for low back pain patients. A 12-months follow-up study. European Journal of Pain 1998;4:293-307
- Skouen JS, Otani K, Olmarker K, Rosengren L, Brisby H, Rydevik B. Biochemical diagnosis. The
back letter 1998:13:85,94
- Kvåle A, Ellertsen B, Skouen JS. Relationships between physical findings (GPE-78) and psychological profiles (MMPI-2) in patients with long-lasting musculoskeletal pain.
Nordic Journal of Psychiatry, 2001;55(3):177-184
- Haldorsen EMH, Grasdal AL, Skouen JS, Risa AE, Kronholm K, Ursin H. Is there a right treatment for a particular patient group? Comparison of the ordinary treatment, light multidisciplinary treatment, and extensive multidisciplinary treatment for long- term sick listed
employees with musculoskeletal pain. Pain 2002;95:49-63
- Skouen JS, Grasdal AL, Haldorsen EMH, Ursin H. Relative cost-effectiveness of extensive and light multidisciplinary treatment programs versus treatment as usual for chronic low back pain patients on long-term sick leave. A randomized controlled study. Spine 2002;27:901-910
- Skouen JS. Return-to-work interventions: Is less more? The BackLetter 2002;17:62
- Skouen JS og medarbeidere. Nasjonalt ryggnettverk - Formidlingsenheten. Akutte korsryggsmerter. Tverrfaglige, kliniske retningslinjer. [Clinical guidelines] Oslo, 2002
- Skouen JS. Anamnese og generell undersøkelsesteknikk av muskel-/skjelettsystemet I: Moen B. (ed.) Håndbok for bedriftshelsetjenesten del 3. Arbeidsmiljøfaktorer som påvirker hele mennesket. Arbeidsmiljøforlaget. Oslo, 2003: p.50 - 64
- Kvåle A, Skouen JS, Ljunggren AE. Discriminative Validity of the Global Physiotherapy Examination-52 in patients with long-lasting musculoskeletal pain versus healthy persons. Journal of Musculoskeletal Pain 2003;11:23-35
- Skouen JS, Laerum E, Jensen TO. Multidisciplinary outpatient clinics for back pain patients - a new treatment program. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 2003;123:2895-6
- Kvåle A, Skouen JS, Ljunggren AE. Sensitivity to change and responsiveness of the global physiotherapy examination (GPE-52) in patients with long-lasting musculoskeletal pain.
Phys Ther. 2005;85:712-26
- Werner E, Ihlebaek C, Skouen JS, Laerum E. Beliefs about low back pain in the Norwegian general population: are they related to pain experiences and health professionals?
- Dankaerts W, O'Sullivan PB, Straker LM, Burnett AF, Skouen JS. The inter-examiner reliability of a classification method for non-specific chronic low back pain patients with motor control impairment.
Man Ther. 2006;11:28-39
- Skouen JS, Grasdal A, Haldorsen EMH. Return to work after comparing outpatient multidisciplinary treatment programs versus treatment in general practice for patients with chronic widespread pain.
Eur J Pain. 2006;10:145-52
Home page Department
Home page University
Department of Public Health and Primary Health Care, last