- Academic research: fjord ecology; theoretical studies of phytoplankton dynamics and ecosystem modelling; sea ranching of cod.
- Applied industrial research: development of novel methodologies in aquaculture for the rearing of halibut and turbot.
- Research consultancy on marine pollution (field: eutrophication)
- Fund Raising Task Team of the University of Bergen: Planning and implementation and coordination of administrative activities in support to administrators in faculties and institutes as well as scientists, throughout the life cycle of externally funded research projects (i.e. pre- and post award)
- Assistance in the development of the science strategies and implementation plans
- Promotion and coordination of interdisciplinary and inter-faculty climate research at UiB
- Fund raising: information and advise in grants preparation, procedures and quality controll
- European Commission H2020, Reseach Council of Norway, NordForsk, NSF
- Implementation and mangement of the Norwegian Research School in Climate Dynamics (ResClim)
- Research career development (PhD fellows, young scientists)
- Fostering of cooperation and communication among research partners, nationally and internationally
- Secretary to the Boards
- 1999. JGOFS Data Management and Synthesis Workshop 24-25 September 1998, Bergen, Norway Meeting Minutes. 45 sider.
- 1999. New data and information system Steering Group sets agenda. U.S. JGOFS NEWS. 10: 11.
- 1999. JGOFS data managers and modellers address common concerns. U.S. JGOFS NEWS. 9: 12.
- 1998. Joint Global Ocean Flux Study (JGOFS) Meets in Cape Town to Honour Former Chairman. U.S. JGOFS NEWS. 9: 1.
- 1998. Creating an International Data Management System for JGOFS. U.S. JGOFS NEWS. 9: 1.
- 1998. Productivity and fitness in a fjord cod population: an ecological and evolutionary approach. Fisheries Research. 37: 143-161.
- 1995. Ecological modelling in coastal waters: Towards predictive physical -chemical-biological simulation models. Ophelia : International Journal of Marine Biology. 41: 5-36.
- 1993. Winter distribution and migration of the sound Seaherring layers, Zooplankton and microncroton in Masfjorden, Norway. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 102: 35-50.
- 1996. Eutrophication of the North Sea, 1980-1990: An evaluation of anthropogenic nutrient inputs using a 2D phytoplankton production model. Institutt for fiskeri- og marinbiologi, Universitetet i Berge n. 284 sider.
- 1994. The use of a coupled physical-biological 2D-model to study the impact of anthropogenic nutrient inputs upon the primary production of the North Sea. SFT. 45 sider.
Peer reviewed scientific articles
Fasham, M.J., B.M. Balino and M.C. Bowles (eds.). 2001. A new vision of Ocean Biogeochemistry after a decade of the Joint Global Ocean Flux Study (JGOFS). AMBIO special report 10, May 2001, 30 pp
Salvanes, A.G.V., and B.M. Balino. 1998. Productivity and fitness in a fjord cod population: an ecological and evolutionary approach. Fisheries Research 37 (1-3): 143-161
Aksnes, D.L., K.B. Ulvestad, B.M. Balino, J. Berntsen, J. Egge, and E. Svendsen. 1995. Ecological modelling in coastal waters: towards predictive physical-chemical-biological simulation models. Ophelia 41: 5-36
Balino, B.M and D.L. Aksnes. 1993. Winter distribution and migration of the sound scattering layers, zooplankton and micronekton in Masfjorden, western Norway. Marine Ecology Progress Series 102(1-2): 35-70
Giske, J., D.L. Aksnes, B.M. Balino, S. Kaartvedt, U. Lie, J. Tryti Nordeide, A.G.V. Salvanes, S. Wakili and A. Aadnesen. 1990. Vertical distribution and trophic interactions of zooplankton and mesopelagic fishes in Masfjorden in winter 1989. Sarsia 75(1): 65-81
Balino, B.M.1996. Eutrophication of the North Sea: 1980-1990: an evaluation of anthropogenic nutrient inputs using a 2D phytoplankton production model, 284 pp
Balino, B. and E. Jansen (eds). 2004. Annual report of the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research: Centre of Excellence activities. 24 pp
Balino, B. and E. Jansen (eds). 2003. Annual report of the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research: Centre of Excellence activities. 20 pp
Balino, B.M., M.J. Fasham & M.C Bowles (eds.). 2001. Ocean bio-geochemistry: a synthesis of JGOFS research 1988-1998. IGBP Science No. 2, 32 pp.
Lowry, R.K. and B. Balino (editors) 1999. JGOFS Data Management and Synthesis Workshop. JGOFS Report 29/99. Bergen, Norway, 45 pp.
Grong, E., and B. Balino. 1994. Beskrivelse av den kjemisk-biologiske-transportmodellen TRACER. Det Norske Meteorologiske Institutt Teknisk rapport Nr. 135, 48 pp
Balino, B. 1994.The use of a coupled physical-biological 2D model to study the impact of anthropogenic nutrient inputs upon the primary production of the North Sea. Report commissioned by SFT, 43 pp.
Balino, B. 1993. Nutrient inputs to the North Sea, Skagerrak and Kattegat. River Concentrations and loads from 1980 to 1990. Report commissioned by HOV-Senteret, 75 pp
Balino, B.M., H.B. Botnen, V. Fleming, A-M. Ruokangas and Ø. F. Tvedten. 1993. Deep benthos in the Nordic Seas. A seminar report BFM 402. IFM report series 17, 85 pp
Martinsen, E.A., H. Engedhal, G. Ottersen, B. Ådlandsvik, H. Loeng, and B.Balino. 1992. Climatological and hydrographical data for hindcast of ocean currents. MOMOP (MetOcean MOdeling Project) final report. The Norwegian Meteorological Institute, Techical report No. 100, 93 pp
Balino, B., K. Hamre, and P.G. Kvenseth. 1990. Halibut activities in Tveitevågen and Veløy, 1990. A/S MOWI annual report, 100 pp.
Balino, B. 1989. Startfeeding of halibut larvae. Ny Fisk report L 6/89, 71 pp
Hamre, K., B. Balino, and J.I. Nielsen. 1989. Halibut fry 1989G. A/S MOWI annual report, 34 pp
Balino, B. and K. Hamre. 1988. Extensive rearing of turbot larvae. A/S MOWI annual report, 50 pp.
Articles in the US JGOFS News
Balino, B., 1999. New Data and Information System Steering Group Sets Agenda. Vol.10. No. 1
Balino, B. and R.K. Lowry, 1999. JGOFS data managers and modellers address common concerns. Vol. 9 No. 4
Balino, B., 1998. Developing an information management system for IGBP. Vol. 9 No. 3
Hanson, R., B. Balino and J. Stokke, 1998. JGOFS SSC meets in Cape Town to honor former chairman. Vol. 9 No. 2.
Academic with twenty years of experience in management of multidisciplinary scientific programmes and centres on global environmental research at the national and international levels. Proficiency in support of scientific strategic planning through the development of science and implementation plans. Strong team player working effectively with directors, executive teams and staff. Extensive experience in forging of communication channels and networking among scientists and institutions worldwide. Successful history in fund raising, and organisation of large scientific meetings and conferences. Skilled secretary to boards, scientific committees and working groups. Proficiency in communication to the scientific community, stakeholders and the general public. Broad outreach, editorial and language skills
SUMMARY OF SKILLS AND CAPABILITIES
Research and Teaching
Academic research: marine biology and fjord ecology; theoretical studies of phytoplankton dynamics and ecosystem modelling; sea ranching of cod. Industrial (applied) research: Aquaculture. Development of novel methodologies for the rearing of saltwater fish species. Research consultancy: design and provision of case studies targeted to strategic planning to combat coastal marine pollution. Teaching: Lecturer of undergraduate courses in biological oceanography and marine pollution.
Research Administration and Management
Inter- and multidisciplinary international projects and programmes in global environmental research integrating disciplines in natural sciences (oceanography, meteorology, mathematics, biogeochemistry, ecological and climate modelling, palaeoclimatology, geophysics, geology and marine biology), social sciences, medicine (e.g. climate change impact on health, poverty and food security; vulnerability and adaptation) and law. Broad experience in strategic planning of scientific activities: elaboration of science and implementation plans, hearings and overviews, initiation and follow-up of activities; coordination of input to workplans and grant calls, project management and monitoring. Advisor to boards, deans and heads of department on strategic plans for marine and climate research, research training and policy issues at the university level. Forging of communication channels among scientists and working groups worldwide. Collation of information on national and regional programmes. Experience in fund raising for scientific and outreach activities from national and international agencies (e.g. Research Council of Norway, European Commission, NordForsk, National Science Foundation); assistance to scientific personell during proposal preparations. Organisation of seminars, workshops and international conferences of up to 500 participants. Preparation of meeting's agendas and minutes to steering boards.
National and International Engagement
Member of national and international committees, expert and discussion groups with duties in inter-project strategy planning and implementation of activities. Extensive network building up experience and promotion of international collaboration among research institutions and agencies worldwide. Convener/participant at international science meetings with presentations and responsibilities as session chair/moderator and rapporteur.
Outreach, Editorial and Language skills
Editor of scientific reports and newsletters. Design of promotional material (e.g. brochures, posters). Articles in newsletters. Presentations at international science meetings and conferences worldwide. Experience in web editorial work. Fluent in English, Norwegian and Spanish.
- Dr. scient., Dept .of Marine Biology, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, University of Bergen, Norway (1996)
- Cand. scient., Dept. of Marine Biology, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, University of Bergen, Norway (1990)
- Licenciado en Oceanografía Biológica (BSc in Biological Oceanography). Faculty of Humanities and Sciences, Universidad de la Republica, Uruguay (1982)
2016 - to date: Deputy director, Divison of Research Administration, UiB
2012-2015: Head of administration of the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research, UiB
2009-2011: Science coordinator, Geophysical Institute, UiB
2007-2009 Senior adviser for marine reserach, Avdeling for Research Management, UIB
2006-2007: Deputy Director, Natural Sciences, Secretariat of the International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme, Stockholm
2001-2006: Science coordinator, Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research, Bergen
1996-2001: Assistant Executive Officer, JGOFS International Project Office, Bergen
1994-1996 : Research fellow, Department of fisheries and marine biology, UiB
1994: Research consultant (i) Norwegian Authority for Pollution (SFT), (ii) Ocean Surveyance and Monitoring Center (HOV)
1991-1994: Research fellow, IBM Bergen Environmental Center, Bergen
1989-1990: Research scientist, AS MOWI, Bergen