- Academic research: fjord ecology; theoretical studies of phytoplankton dynamics and ecosystem modelling; sea ranching of cod.
- Applied industrial research: development of novel methodologies in aquaculture for the rearing of halibut and turbot.
- Research consultancy: contribution to a national strategic plan on marine pollution
- Development of the research strategy and implementation of research activities of the Bjerknes Centre-UiB together with Centre leader Prof. Tore Furevik
- Promotion and coordination of interdisciplinary and inter-faculty climate research at UiB
- Fund raising, funding grants information; application procedures and quality controll
- Implementation and mangement of the Norwegian Research School in Climate Dynamics (ResClim)
- Research career development (PhD fellows, young scientists)
- Fostering of cooperation and communication among research partners at the national and international levels
- Secretary to the Board of the Bjerknes Centre-UiB
- Secretary to the Board of the Centre for Climate Dynamics
- 1999. JGOFS Data Management and Synthesis Workshop 24-25 September 1998, Bergen, Norway Meeting Minutes. 45 sider.
- 1999. New data and information system Steering Group sets agenda. U.S. JGOFS NEWS. 10: 11.
- 1999. JGOFS data managers and modellers address common concerns. U.S. JGOFS NEWS. 9: 12.
- 1998. Joint Global Ocean Flux Study (JGOFS) Meets in Cape Town to Honour Former Chairman. U.S. JGOFS NEWS. 9: 1.
- 1998. Creating an International Data Management System for JGOFS. U.S. JGOFS NEWS. 9: 1.
- 1998. Productivity and fitness in a fjord cod population: an ecological and evolutionary approach. Fisheries Research. 37: 143-161.
- 1995. Ecological modelling in coastal waters: Towards predictive physical -chemical-biological simulation models. Ophelia : International Journal of Marine Biology. 41: 5-36.
- 1993. Winter distribution and migration of the sound Seaherring layers, Zooplankton and microncroton in Masfjorden, Norway. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 102: 35-50.
- 1996. Eutrophication of the North Sea, 1980-1990: An evaluation of anthropogenic nutrient inputs using a 2D phytoplankton production model. Institutt for fiskeri- og marinbiologi, Universitetet i Berge n. 284 sider.
- 1994. The use of a coupled physical-biological 2D-model to study the impact of anthropogenic nutrient inputs upon the primary production of the North Sea. SFT. 45 sider.
Peer reviewed scientific articles
Fasham, M.J., B.M. Balino and M.C. Bowles (eds.). 2001. A new vision of Ocean Biogeochemistry after a decade of the Joint Global Ocean Flux Study (JGOFS). AMBIO special report 10, May 2001, 30 pp
Salvanes, A.G.V., and B.M. Balino. 1998. Productivity and fitness in a fjord cod population: an ecological and evolutionary approach. Fisheries Research 37 (1-3): 143-161
Aksnes, D.L., K.B. Ulvestad, B.M. Balino, J. Berntsen, J. Egge, and E. Svendsen. 1995. Ecological modelling in coastal waters: towards predictive physical-chemical-biological simulation models. Ophelia 41: 5-36
Balino, B.M and D.L. Aksnes. 1993. Winter distribution and migration of the sound scattering layers, zooplankton and micronekton in Masfjorden, western Norway. Marine Ecology Progress Series 102(1-2): 35-70
Giske, J., D.L. Aksnes, B.M. Balino, S. Kaartvedt, U. Lie, J. Tryti Nordeide, A.G.V. Salvanes, S. Wakili and A. Aadnesen. 1990. Vertical distribution and trophic interactions of zooplankton and mesopelagic fishes in Masfjorden in winter 1989. Sarsia 75(1): 65-81
Balino, B.M.1996. Eutrophication of the North Sea: 1980-1990: an evaluation of anthropogenic nutrient inputs using a 2D phytoplankton production model, 284 pp
Balino, B. and E. Jansen (eds). 2004. Annual report of the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research: Centre of Excellence activities. 24 pp
Balino, B. and E. Jansen (eds). 2003. Annual report of the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research: Centre of Excellence activities. 20 pp
Balino, B.M., M.J. Fasham & M.C Bowles (eds.). 2001. Ocean bio-geochemistry: a synthesis of JGOFS research 1988-1998. IGBP Science No. 2, 32 pp.
Lowry, R.K. and B. Balino (editors) 1999. JGOFS Data Management and Synthesis Workshop. JGOFS Report 29/99. Bergen, Norway, 45 pp.
Grong, E., and B. Balino. 1994. Beskrivelse av den kjemisk-biologiske-transportmodellen TRACER. Det Norske Meteorologiske Institutt Teknisk rapport Nr. 135, 48 pp
Balino, B. 1994.The use of a coupled physical-biological 2D model to study the impact of anthropogenic nutrient inputs upon the primary production of the North Sea. Report commissioned by SFT, 43 pp.
Balino, B. 1993. Nutrient inputs to the North Sea, Skagerrak and Kattegat. River Concentrations and loads from 1980 to 1990. Report commissioned by HOV-Senteret, 75 pp
Balino, B.M., H.B. Botnen, V. Fleming, A-M. Ruokangas and Ø. F. Tvedten. 1993. Deep benthos in the Nordic Seas. A seminar report BFM 402. IFM report series 17, 85 pp
Martinsen, E.A., H. Engedhal, G. Ottersen, B. Ådlandsvik, H. Loeng, and B.Balino. 1992. Climatological and hydrographical data for hindcast of ocean currents. MOMOP (MetOcean MOdeling Project) final report. The Norwegian Meteorological Institute, Techical report No. 100, 93 pp
Balino, B., K. Hamre, and P.G. Kvenseth. 1990. Halibut activities in Tveitevågen and Veløy, 1990. A/S MOWI annual report, 100 pp.
Balino, B. 1989. Startfeeding of halibut larvae. Ny Fisk report L 6/89, 71 pp
Hamre, K., B. Balino, and J.I. Nielsen. 1989. Halibut fry 1989G. A/S MOWI annual report, 34 pp
Balino, B. and K. Hamre. 1988. Extensive rearing of turbot larvae. A/S MOWI annual report, 50 pp.
Articles in the US JGOFS News
Balino, B., 1999. New Data and Information System Steering Group Sets Agenda. Vol.10. No. 1
Balino, B. and R.K. Lowry, 1999. JGOFS data managers and modellers address common concerns. Vol. 9 No. 4
Balino, B., 1998. Developing an information management system for IGBP. Vol. 9 No. 3
Hanson, R., B. Balino and J. Stokke, 1998. JGOFS SSC meets in Cape Town to honor former chairman. Vol. 9 No. 2.
Scientist with eighteen years of experience in research management, administration and policy of multidisciplinary projects and programmes on Global Environmental Change research, both at the national and international levels. Proficiency in support of scientific activities such as strategic planning, scientific policy; coordination and management of research projects, forging communication channels among scientists and institutions worldwide, fund raising and organisation of meetings/conferences. Skilled secretary to boards, executive committees and leader groups. Proficient in communication to the scientific community, stakeholders and the general public. Broad outreach, editorial and language skills.
Research Management and Policy
Experience in management of multidisciplinary international projects and programmes in global environmental change research integrating the disciplines of oceanography, meteorology, biogeochemistry, ecological and climatic modelling, palaeoclimatology, geophysics, geology and marine biology. Strategic planning and implementation of research activities: collation of information, initiation and follow-up of activities and actions. Preparation of policy documents (e.g. hearings). Project management and monitoring. Forging of communication channels among scientists and working groups worldwide. Collation of information on national and regional programmes. Fund raising for research and outreach activities through major research funding agencies (Research Council of Norway, European Commission, National Science Foundation, NordForsk, etc): assistance and guidance in proposal preparations, input coordination to workplans and calls, project management. Organisation of seminars, workshops and international conferences of up to 800 participants. Preparation of meeting's agendas and minutes.
National and International Engagement
Member of national and international committees and expert/discussion groups with duties in inter-project strategy planning and implementation of activities. Extensive participation in international science meetings with representation duties as well as responsibilities as co-organiser, session chair/moderator and rapporteur. Promotion of international collaboration with research institutions and agencies worldwide.
Outreach, editorial and language skills
Editor of research reports and design of promotion material (e.g. brochures, posters). Articles in newsletters. Presentations at international science meetings and conferences worldwide. Experience in web design and editorial work (webmaster). Liaison with the mass media. Fluent in English, Norwegian and Spanish.
- Dr. scient., Dept .of Marine Biology, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, University of Bergen, Norway (1996)
- Cand. scient., Dept. of Marine Biology, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, University of Bergen, Norway (1990)
- Licenciado en Oceanografía Biológica (BSc in Biological Oceanography). Faculty of Humanities and Sciences, Universidad de la Republica, Uruguay (1982)
Institusjon Stilling 2009-
Geofysisk Institutt, UiB
2007-2009 Forskningsavdelingen, UIB
Seniorrådgiver for marin forskning
2006-2007 International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme. Secretariat, Stockholm Deputy Director, Natural Sciences 2001-2006 Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research Prosjektkoordinator
JGOFS International Project Office Assistant Executive Officer 1994-1996 Institutt for fiskeri og marinbiologi, UiB
- Statens Forurensingstilsyn
- HOV-senteret for overvåkning og varsling
1991-1994 IBM Bergen Environmental Center
1989-1990 AS MOWI