Telefon: 55 58 28 56
Besøksadresse: Realfagbygget, Allégt. 41
My research interests are mathematical modeling and numerical methods for simulation of flow, transport and geo-mechanics in porous media and the solution of parameter identification problems. Since 2008, my research has mainly been motivated by achieving better understanding of processes in geothermal systems. Currenly, a particular interest is on modeling and simulation of permeability enhancement of fractured geothermal reservoirs, which is also the topic of one of my main research projects, GeoStim.
- Dr. Scient. (Ph.D.), Dept. Mathematics, UoB, Oct 2005
- Cand. Scient. (M.S.), Computational Science, UoB, Sep 2001
- Cand. Mag. (B.S.), Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, UoB, Dec 2000
- Research Leadership Programme (14 days), University of Oslo, 2011 (Module 1), 2013 (Module 2)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (20 ECTS), University of Bergen, 2008
- Associate Professor, Dept. Math., University of Bergen, since January 2006
- Scientific Advisor, CMR Energy, Christian Michelsen Research AS (20% position), since August 2012
Administrative and academic boards and committees
- Member, Faculty board, The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, UiB, 2013-.
- Leader, working group for sustainable energy research and education at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, University of Bergen, 2013-2014.
- Member, Department Council, Department of Mathematics, UiB, 2013-
- Leader, equal rights and anti-discrimination committee, UiB, 2011-2013.
- Member, The Bildung Committee, University of Bergen, 2011-2013.
- Member, equal rights and anti-discrimination committee, UiB, 2010.
- Deputy Member, Committee for first semester studies, UiB, 2008-.
- Faculty board member, The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, UoB, 2005-2006
- Member, The University Board for Education UoB, 2002-2003
- Member of the board, Dept. Mathematics, UoB, 2001
National professional service in working groups, committees and boards
- Member, National reference group, Evaluation of the Norwegian academic publishing indicator (“Evaluering av publiseringsindikatoren”), 2013.
- Chairman of the board, Norwegian Center for Geothermal Energy Research, 2012-.
- Board member, EnergiRike, 2012-
- Member, Bergen Chamber Working Group, Network U37, 2010-2011
- Member, Energy21 (national strategy for R&D in the energy sector) working group “Renewable thermal energy”, 2010
International professional service
- Horizontal Working Group, European Technology Platform – Renewable Heating and Cooling, Common RHC roadmap integrating roadmaps for Geothermal, Solar thermal, Biomass, and Cross-cutting technologies, 2013-2014.
- Vice-spokesperson, International Research Training Group NUPUS (Nonlinearities and Upscaling in PoroUS Media), Research cooperation between University of Bergen, TU Delft, TU Eindhoven, University of Stuttgart, Utrecht University and Wageningen University, 2011-
- Member Steering Committee, Geothermal Technology Panel, European Technology Platform - Renewable Heating and Cooling (ETP-RHC, http://www.rhc-platform.org/cms/), 2011-2014.
- Member of Mirror Group - EUA-EPUE Geothermal Energy SET Plan Energy
Editorial and referee duties
- Associate Editor, Magne Espedal Special Issue, International Journal of Numerical Analysis and Modeling, 2011.
- Referee for Water Resources Research, Inverse Problems in Science and Engineering, Mathematics and Visualization, Springer book series, IAHS Redbook series, IPCC Special report on renewable energy, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Transport in Porous Media, Physics of Fluids
 P. N. Sævik, M. Jakobsen, I. Berre, M. Lien, Anisotropic effective conductivity in fractured rocks by explicit effective medium methods, accepted for publication, Geophysical Prospecting, 2014.
 P. N. Sævik, I. Berre, M. Jakobsen, M. Lien, A 3D computational study of effective medium methods applied to fractured media, Transport in Porous Media, DOI:10.1007/s11242-013-0208-0, 2013.
 C. Bringedal, I.Berre, J.M. Nordbotten, Influence of natural convection in a porous medium when producing from borehole heat exchangers, Water Resources Research, DOI: 10.1002/wrcr.20388, 2013.
 A. Tambue, I.Berre, J.M. Nordbotten, Efficient Simulation of Geothermal Processes in Heterogeneous Porous Media based on Exponential Rosenbrock-Euler and Rosenbrock-Type Methods, Adv. Water Res, 53, 250-262, 2013.
 K. Hals, I.Berre, Interaction between Injection Points during Hydraulic Fracturing, Water Resources Research, Water Resources Research, 48 (11), DOI: 10.1029/2012WR012265, 2012
 T. H. Sandve, I. Berre, J.M. Nordbotten, An efficient Multi-Point Flux Approximation based approach for Discrete Fracture Matrix simulation, Journal of Computational Physics, DOI:10.1016/j.jcp.2012.01.023
 C. Bringedal, I. Berre, J.M. Nordbotten, D.A.S. Rees, Linear and nonlinear convection in porous media between coaxial cylinders, Physics of Fluids, 23 (9), 2011.
 I. Berre, M. Lien and, T. Mannseth, Identification of three-dimensional electric conductivity changes from time-lapse electromagnetic observations. J Comput Phys, 230 (10), p. 3915-3928, DOI:10.1016/j.jcp.2011.02.015, 2011.
 I. Berre, M. Lien and, T. Mannseth. Multi-level parameter structure identification for two-phase porous media flow problems using flexible representations, Adv. Water Res, 32(12), p. 1777-1788, DOI: 10.1016/j.advwatres.2009.10.002, 2009.
 I. Berre, M. Lien and, T. Mannseth. Estimation of a Piecewise Constant Function Using Reparameterized Level-Set Functions, Mathematics in Industry, Vol 15, Part 3, 733-737, DOI:10.1007/978-3-642-12110-4_118, 2010.
 I. Berre, M. Lien, and T. Mannseth. A multi-level strategy for regularized parameter identification using nonlinear reparameterization with sample application for reservoir characterization. Journal of Physics: Conference Series. 135 012018 doi: 10.1088/1742-6596/135/1/012018, 2008.
 I. Berre, F. Clément, M. Lien, and T. Mannseth. Data driven reparameterization structure for estimation of fluid conductivity, Calibration and Reliability in Groundwater Modelling: Credibility of Modelling pp. 310-315, IAHS publ. 320, 2008.
 J. R. Natvig, K.-A. Lie, B. Eikemo, and I. Berre. An Efficient Discontinuous Galerkin Method for Advective Transport in Porous Media. Adv. Water Res., 30(12):2424--2438, 2007.
 I. Berre, M. Lien, and T. Mannseth. A Level Set Corrector for an Adaptive Multiscale Permeability Prediction. Computational Geosciences, 11:27-42, DOI: 0.1007/s10596-006-9037-3, 2007.
 M. Lien, I. Berre, and T. Mannseth. Combined Adaptive Multiscale and Level Set Parameter Estimation. Multiscale Modeling and Simulation, 4(4), pp.1349--1372, 2006.
 I. Berre, K. H. Karlsen, K.-A. Lie, and J.R. Natvig. Fast computation of arrival times in heterogeneous media. Computational Geosciences, 9(4), pp. 179--201, 2005.
 T.H. Sandve, I.Berre, E.Keilegavlen, J.M. Nordbotten, An automated MINC method for simulation of heat transport in fractured geothermal reservoirs, submitted manuscript to Mathematical Geosciences.
 A. Tambue, I.Berre, J.M. Nordbotten, Lower-order Rosenbrock-Type Methods for simulation of liquid-vapor flows with phase change in geothermal systems, 2013.
 I. Berre, Fast simulation of transport and adaptive permeability estimation in porous media. Dr.scient (PhD) thesis, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, University of Bergen, 2005.
Papers in proceedings
 P. P. Næverlid Sævik, I. Berre, M. Jakobsen, M. Lien, Effective conductivity of fractured rocks by analytical methods: a 3D computational study, Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Rock Physics, Southampton, 4-9 August, 2013.
 K. Midttømme, J. Müller, H. Skarphagen, I. Berre, R.K. Ramstad, H.-R. Sørheim, Geothermal Energy Use, Country Update for Norway, Proceedings of the European Geothermal Congress, Pisa, Italy, June 3-7, 2013.
 K. Hals, I.Berre, Thermal fracturing of geothermal wells and effects of borehole orientation, Proceedings of the Thirty-Eight Workshop on Geothermal Reservoir Engineering Stanford University, Stanford, California, February 11-13, 2013.
 C. Bringedal, I.Berre, J. Nordbotten, Influence of convection on production from borehole heat exchangers, Proceedings of the Thirty-Eight Workshop on Geothermal Reservoir Engineering Stanford University, Stanford, California, February 11-13, 2013.
 T.H. Sandve, I.Berre, E.Keilegavlen, J.M. Nordbotten, Multiscale simulation of flow and heat transport in fractured geothermal reservoirs: inexact solvers and improved transport upscaling, Proceedings of the Thirty-Eight Workshop on Geothermal Reservoir Engineering Stanford University, Stanford, California, February 11-13, 2013.
 P. N. Sævik, I. Berre, M. Jakobsen, M. Lien, Electrical conductivity of fractured media: A computational study of the self-consistent method, Society of Exploration Geophysicists. Expanded Abstracts with Biographies, 2012.
 A. Tambue, I.Berre, J. Nordbotten, T.H. Sandve, Exponential Euler Time Integrator for Simulation of Geothermal Processes in Heterogeneous Porous Media, Proceedings, Thirty-Seventh Workshop on Geothermal Reservoir Engineering Stanford University, Stanford, California, January 30 – February 1, 2012. SGP-TR-194
 T.H. Sandve, I. Berre, and J.M. Nordbotten, An integrated fracture and continuum model for simulating heat and mass transfer in geothermal systems, Proceedings of the IAHR International Groundwater Symposium, Valencia Spain, September 2010.
 I. Berre, M. Lien, T. Mannseth. Robust inversion of controlled source electromagnetic data for production monitoring. SEG Technical Program Expanded Abstracts, Society of Exploration Geophysicists, 29(1), 726-731, ISSN: 1052-3812, doi:10.1190/1.3513886, 2010
 K. Midttømme, I. Berre, A. Hauge, T.E. Musæus, B.R. Kristiànsson. Geothermal Energy - Country Update for Norway, Proceedings World Geothermal Congress 2010, Bali Indonesia, April 2010
 B. Eikemo, I. Berre, H. K. Dahle, K.-A. Lie, and J. R. Natvig. A discontinuous Galerkin method for computing time-of-flight in discrete fracture models. In Proc. of the XVI International Conference on Computational Methods in Water Resources, edited by P. J. Binning et al. Copenhagen, Denmark, June, 2006. http://proceedings.cmwr-xvi.org
 M. Lien, I. Berre, and T. Mannseth. Combined adaptive multiscale and level set parameter estimation. Extended abstract for The Third International Conference "Inverse Problems: Modeling and Simulation", Fethiye, May 29 - June 02, 2006.
 I. Berre, H. K. Dahle, K. H. Karlsen, K.-A. Lie and J. R. Natvig. Time-of-Flight + Fast Marching + Transport Collapse: An Alternative to Streamlines for Two-Phase Porous Media Flow with Capillary Forces? In Computational Methods in Water Resources (Delft, The Netherlands, 2002), volume 47 of Developments in Water Science, pages 995-1002, Elsevier, 2002.
 I. Berre, H. K. Dahle, K. H. Karlsen, and H. F. Nordhaug. A Streamline Front Tracking Method for Two- and Three-Phase Flow Including Capillary Forces. In Fluid flow and transport in porous media: mathematical and numerical treatment (South Hadley, MA, 2001), volume 295 of Contemp. Math., pages 49-61. Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 2002.
Reports (in Norwegian)
 J. E. Evensen, J. A. Aalhus, I. Berre, H. Bergan, P. H. Kleven, E. Næss, O. Olesen, E. Østhassel, Innsatsgrupperapport, Fornybar termisk energi – Geotermisk energi, Energi 21, http://www.energi21.no, 2011.
 I. Berre, R. Bjørk, K-E. Brun, J. Kocbach, Systemmodell av geotermiske energisystem, CMR Energy Rapport, 2011.
 S. Stensholt, A. Øien, I. Berre, Non-ideal equation of state in the pseudo-potential lattice Boltzmann methods. In “Lattice-Boltzmann modelling of spatial variation in surface tension and wetting effects”, S. Stensholt PhD Thesis, ISBN 978-82-308-1577-9, University of Bergen, Norway, 2010.
 I. Berre, Ren energi fra jordens indre – fra varme kilder til konstruerte geotermiske system, NGU Rapport 2009.001, 2009.
Educationally related publications
 I.Berre, “Bruk av skrivegrupper i masterutdanningen i anvendt og beregningsorientert matematikk” (“Use of writing groups for master students in applied and computational mathematics”). Report, Dept. Mathematics, University of Bergen, 2012.
 I.Berre, Dyp, varm og ren energi. Tangenten : tidsskrift for matematikk i grunnskolen, 21, p. 36-41, 2010.
 I. Berre,Kompendium i Maple (Maple Lecture Notes.), Depth. Math., University of Bergen.
 I. Berre, Operasjon Minerva - for jenter matematikk, naturvitenskap og teknologi. (Operation Minerva - for girls, mathematics, science, and technology.), Proc. Women in Science, Bergen, October 20-21, 2003.
 I. Berre, J. Müller, V. Oye, Geotermisk energi – boring etter energi også etter oljealderen, Dag og Tid, 24 August, 2013.
 J. Ø. Sunde, I. Berre, Forskargrupper og det innovative kretsløpet, På høyden, 17 April, 2013.
 I. Berre, G. Mangerud, Gjør forskning til en jenteting, Aftenposten, 7 July 2012.
 K. Midttømme, I.Berre, Det usynlige energialternativet, Bergens tidende, 21 March 2012.
 I. Berre, Senter for geovarme i Bergen, Samspill 5/2009.
 I. Berre and J. M. Nordbotten (2007), Geotermisk Energi – glemt i energidebatten?, Bergens Tidende, 3 September 2007.
 I. Berre, T. Sørevik. Beregningsvitenskap: En tredje vei? AKA nr. 2 2002.
- ENERGI200 - Energiressurser og energibruk (Høst 2012, 2013)
- MAT111 - Grunnkurs i matematikk I (Høst 2010, 2011)
- MAT212 - Funksjoner av flere variable (Høst 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013)
- MAT232 - Funksjonalanalyse (Vår 2006, 2007)
- Brukerkurs i Maple (Vår 2002, 2003)
Organization of writing groups for master students since 2008.
Guest lectures in courses at Stanford University, Norwegian University of Life Science, University of Tromsø, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration
Master students (first employer after masters degree):
- Gunn Helen Tonning*, A modified advancing front method for computing arrival times in heterogeneous reservoirs, 2004 (Statoil)
- Birgitte Eikemo*, A discontinuous Galerkin method for computing time-of-flight in heterogeneous reservoirs, 2004 (Statoil)
- Ingvild Lid, Estimering av permeabilitet med bruk av adaptive parameterisering, 2009 (Gexcon)
- Tor Harald Sandve, Streamline-based history matching, 2009 (PhD, UiB)
- Anders Thomassen*, Smart well optimization using optimal control theory, 2009 (Gassco)
- Anders Fosen*, Numerical methods for modeling geothermal energy extraction, 2009 (MultiControl)
- Marie Saltnes, Finite Element Modeling of Buoyancy-Driven Flow in Natural Geothermal Systems, 2010 (Sweco)
- Knut Erland Brun*, Potensialet for dyp geotermisk energi i Norge: Modellering av varmeutvinning fra konstruerte geotermiske system (In Norwegian), 2010 (CMR)
- Carina Bringedal, Linear and Nonlinear Convection in Porous Media between Coaxial Cylinders, 2011 (PhD, UiB)
- Torbjørn Eek, Adaptive parameterization of electric conductiity in inversion of electromagnetic data, 2012 (Statoil)
- Paul Odeh, CO2-injeksjon i Utsiraformasjonen - et studie av CO2-vannkontakten og temperaturavhengige parametere, 2012 (Statoil)
- Fethia Ibrahim, History matching with reduced parameterization and fast streamline-based sensitivities, 2012 (Aker Solutions)
- Roman Heimhuber, Efficient history matching for reduced reservoir models with PCE-based bootstrap filters, 2012 (Germany)
- Eirik Ask Straalberg, Effektivitet i grunne geotermiske systemer - modellering og analyse av systemet på Ljan skole, 2013 (Gosen ungdomsskole)
- Victor Lampe, Modeling fluid flow and heat transport in fractured porous media, 2013 (Archer - Bergen Technology Center)
- Tineke Røe*
- Anette Nedreli*
- Bianca Selheim
- Anna Varzina
- Annie Elisabeth Jerkins*
Research council of Norway
Mathematical modeling of fracturing of geothermal reservoirs (MoFG)
Geological Storage of CO2: Mathematical Modeling and Risk Assessment (MatMoRA), 2012-2015
Research council of Norway / Statoil
Modeling and simulation of geothermal systems (POGE), 2009-2013
Research council of Norway / Akademia agreement
Characterization of naturally fractured reservoirs (CFRAC), 2011-2014
Geothermal system models, 2011
Reg. Research Fund, Western Norway
Geothermal Energy in Western Norway, 2009
Educationally related projects
Integration of Norwegian Geothermal Research into European Union Research Programs, 2012-2013
Research council of Norway
Advancing graduate education in computational mathematics applied to earth science – a joint project between the University of Bergen and Stanford University (AGEC), 2013
SIU (Norwegian Centre for International Cooperation in Education)
Scientific writing groups for graduate students*, 2011
PhD students (* co-advisor):
- Sigvat K. Stensholt*, Lattice-Boltzmann modeling of spatial variation in surface tension and wetting effects, 2010.
- Tor Harald Sandve, Multiscale simulation of flow and heat transport in fractured geothermal reservoirs, 2013.
- Pål Næverlid Sævik
- Carina Bringedal
- Eren Uçar
- Wietse Boon*
- Michael Sargado*