My research interests are mathematical modeling and numerical methods for simulation of flow, transport and geo-mechanics in porous media and the solution of parameter identification problems. Since 2008, my research has mainly been motivated by achieving better understanding of processes in geothermal systems. Currenly, a particular interest is on modeling and simulation of permeability enhancement of fractured geothermal reservoirs, which is also the topic of one of my main research projects, GeoStim.
- GDC15-03 - Future Energy Landscapes, Bergen Summer Research School (2015)
- ENERGI200 - Energiressurser og energibruk (Høst 2012, 2013)
- MAT111 - Grunnkurs i matematikk I (Høst 2010, 2011)
- MAT212 - Funksjoner av flere variable (Høst 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013)
- MAT232 - Funksjonalanalyse (Vår 2006, 2007)
- Brukerkurs i Maple (Vår 2002, 2003)
Organization of writing groups for master students since 2008.
Guest lectures in courses at Stanford University, Norwegian University of Life Science, University of Tromsø, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration
Master students (first employer after masters degree):
- Gunn Helen Tonning*, A modified advancing front method for computing arrival times in heterogeneous reservoirs, 2004 (Statoil)
- Birgitte Eikemo*, A discontinuous Galerkin method for computing time-of-flight in heterogeneous reservoirs, 2004 (Statoil)
- Ingvild Lid, Estimering av permeabilitet med bruk av adaptive parameterisering, 2009 (Gexcon)
- Tor Harald Sandve, Streamline-based history matching, 2009 (PhD, UiB)
- Anders Thomassen*, Smart well optimization using optimal control theory, 2009 (Gassco)
- Anders Fosen*, Numerical methods for modeling geothermal energy extraction, 2009 (MultiControl)
- Marie Saltnes, Finite Element Modeling of Buoyancy-Driven Flow in Natural Geothermal Systems, 2010 (Sweco)
- Knut Erland Brun*, Potensialet for dyp geotermisk energi i Norge: Modellering av varmeutvinning fra konstruerte geotermiske system (In Norwegian), 2010 (CMR)
- Carina Bringedal, Linear and Nonlinear Convection in Porous Media between Coaxial Cylinders, 2011 (PhD, UiB)
- Torbjørn Eek, Adaptive parameterization of electric conductiity in inversion of electromagnetic data, 2012 (Statoil)
- Paul Odeh, CO2-injeksjon i Utsiraformasjonen - et studie av CO2-vannkontakten og temperaturavhengige parametere, 2012 (Statoil)
- Fethia Ibrahim, History matching with reduced parameterization and fast streamline-based sensitivities, 2012 (Aker Solutions)
- Roman Heimhuber, Efficient history matching for reduced reservoir models with PCE-based bootstrap filters, 2012 (Germany)
- Eirik Ask Straalberg, Effektivitet i grunne geotermiske systemer - modellering og analyse av systemet på Ljan skole, 2013 (Gosen ungdomsskole)
- Victor Lampe, Modeling fluid flow and heat transport in fractured porous media, 2013 (Archer - Bergen Technology Center)
- Tineke Røe*, Modeling and simulation of concrete carbonation, 2014 (UoB).
- Anette Nedreli*, Upscaling of heat-transport in complex heterogeneous media, 2014
- Bianca Selheim, Natural convection in layered porous media between coaxial cylinders, 2015 (Statoil)
- Pål Andersen, Simulering av trykkindusert oppsprekking i et geotermisk reservoar, 2015 (Sonans videregående skole)
- Anna Varzina
- Annie Elisabeth Jerkins*
- Ivar Stefansson
- 2015. Simulation of Slip-Induced Permeability Enhancement Accounting For Multiscale Fractures. Curran Associates, Inc.. 13 sider. ISBN: 9781510802742.
- 2016. Upscaling of Nonisothermal Reactive Porous Media Flow under Dominant Péclet Number: The Effect of Changing Porosity. Multiscale Modeling & simulation. 14: 502-533. doi: 10.1137/15M1022781
- 2015. Upscaling of non-isothermal reactive porous media flow with changing porosity. Transport in Porous Media. Published ahead of print. 23 sider. doi: 10.1007/s11242-015-0530-9
- 2015. A model for non-isothermal flow and mineral precipitation and dissolution in a thin strip. Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics. 289: 346-355. doi: 10.1016/j.cam.2014.12.009
- 2014. Pore scale model for non-isothermal flow and mineral precipitation and dissolution in a thin strip. Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics. 14 sider. doi: 10.1016/j.cam.2014.12.009
- 2014. Anisotropic effective conductivity in fractured rocks by explicit effective medium methods. Geophysical Prospecting. 62: 1297-1314. doi: 10.1111/1365-2478.12173
- 2013. Influence of natural convection in a porous medium when producing from borehole heat exchangers. Water resources research. 49: 4927-4938. doi: 10.1002/wrcr.20388
- 2013. Forskargrupper og det innovative kretslaupet - spørsmål til rektorkandidatane. På Høyden ( UiBs nettavis). Publisert 2013-04-17.
- 2013. A 3D computational study of effective medium methods applied to fractured media. Transport in Porous Media. 100: 115-142. doi: 10.1007/s11242-013-0208-0
- 2013. Efficient simulation of geothermal processes in heterogeneous porous media based on exponential Rosenbrock-Euler method and Rosenbrock-type methods. Advances in Water Resources. 53: 250-262. doi: 10.1016/j.advwatres.2012.12.004
- 2012. Magne Espedal Memorial Issue. International Journal of Numerical Analysis & Modeling. 9: I-II.
- 2012. Interaction between injection points during hydraulic fracturing. Water resources research. 48. 9 sider. doi: 10.1029/2012WR012265
- 2012. Geotermisk energi - det usynlige energialternativet. Bergens Tidende. Publisert 2012-03-21.
- 2012. An efficient multi-point flux approximation method for Discrete Fracture–Matrix simulations. Journal of Computational Physics. 231: 3784-3800. doi: 10.1016/j.jcp.2012.01.023
- 2012. Electrical conductivity of fractured media: A computational study of the self-consistent method. Society of Exploration Geophysicists. Expanded Abstracts with Biographies. doi: 10.1190/segam2012-1026.1
- 2011. Identification of three-dimensional electric conductivity changes from time-lapse electromagnetic observations. Journal of Computational Physics. 230: 3915-3928. doi: 10.1016/j.jcp.2011.02.015
- 2011. Linear and nonlinear convection in porous media between coaxial cylinders. Physics of fluids. 23. 11 sider. doi: 10.1063/1.3637642
- 2011. Fornybare termisk energi -Geotermisk energi. Energi.
- 2010. Dyp, varm og ren energi. Tangenten: tidsskrift for matematikk i grunnskolen. 21: 36-41.
- 2010. Robust inversion of controlled source electromagnetic data for production monitoring. Society of Exploration Geophysicists. Expanded Abstracts with Biographies. 29: 726-731. doi: 10.1190/1.3513886
- 2010. Estimation of a piecewise constant function using reparameterized level-set functions. Mathematics in Industry. 15: 733-737. doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-12110-4_118
- 2009. Senter for geovarme i Bergen. Samspill. 5. 27-27.
- 2009. Ren energi fra jordens indre - fra varme kilder til konstruerte geotermiske system. NGU-rapport.
- 2009. Multi-level parameter structure identification for two-phase porous-media flow problems using flexible representations. Advances in Water Resources. 32: 1777-1788. doi: 10.1016/j.advwatres.2009.10.002
- 2008. Data driven reparameterization structure for estimation of fluid conductivity. IAHS Red Book Series. 320: 310-315.
- 2008. A multi-level strategy for regularized parameter identification using nonlinear reparameterization with sample application for reservoir characterization. Journal of Physics, Conference Series. 135. 8 sider. doi: 10.1088/1742-6596/135/1/012018
- 2007. A level-set corrector to an adaptive multiscale permeability prediction. Computational Geosciences. 11: 27-42. doi: 10.1007/s10596-006-9037-3
- 2007. Geotermisk energi - glemt i energidebatten? Bergens Tidende. Publisert 2007-10-03.
- 2007. An efficient discontinuous Galerkin method for advective transport in porous media. Advances in Water Resources. 30: 2424-2438. doi: 10.1016/j.advwatres.2007.05.015
- 2005. Fast computation of arrival times in heterogeneous media. Computational Geosciences. 9: 179-201.
- 2005. Combined adaptive multiscale and level-set parameter estimation. Multiscale Modeling & simulation. 4: 1349-1372.
- 2002. Time-of-flight + fast Marching + transport collapse: an alternative to streamlines for tow-phase porous media flow with capillary forces? Developments in Water Science. 47: 995-1002.
- 2002. A streamline front tracking method for two- and three-phase flow including capillary forces. Contemporary Mathematics. 295: 49-61.
- 2002. Beregningsvitenskap - en tredje vei? AKA. 2.
- 2014. Common Implementation Roadmap for Renewable Heating and Cooling Technologies. European Technology Platform on Renewable Heating and Cooling. 55 sider.
- 2005. Fast Simulation of Transport and Adaptive Permeability Estimation in Porous Media. 202 sider.
- 2003. Fast computation of arrival times in heterogeneous. Eprint no 10, Univerisitetet i Oslo, Matematisk institutt. 14 sider.
- 2001. A Fast Marching Method for Hyperbolic Conservation Laws and Application in Reservoir Simulation.
- 2014. An Approach for Investigation of Geochemical Rock-Fluid Interactions. KAPITTEL. I:
- 2014. 39th Workshop on Geothermal Reservoir Engineering 2014. 1429 sider. ISBN: 9781632663856.
- 2013. Influence of convection on production from borehole heat exchangers. Modeling. I:
- 2013. Proceedings of the 38th Workshop on Geothermal Reservoir Engineering 2013. 1741 sider. ISBN: 9781627485708.
- 2013. Thermal fracturing of geothermal wells and effects of borehole orientation. Enhanced Geothermal Systems. I:
- 2013. Multiscale simulation of flow and heat transport in fractured geothermal reservoirs: inexact solvers and improved transport upscaling. Modeling. I:
- 2012. Exponential Euler Time Integrator for Simulation of Geothermal Processes in Heterogeneous Porous Media. Reservoir Engineering, sider . I:
- 2012. 37th Workshop on Geothermal Reservoir Engineering 2012, Stanford Geothermal Program Workshop Report SGP-TR-194. 1568 sider. ISBN: 9781618399663.
- 2010. Estimation of a piecewise constant function using reparameterized level-set functions. 3, sider 733-737. I:
- 2010. Progress in Industrial Mathematics at ECMI 2008. Springer. 1083 sider. ISBN: 978-3-642-12110-4.
- 2010. Geothermal Energy - Country Update for Norway. -. I:
- 2010. Proceedings World Geothermal Congress. IGA, Bali, Indonesia.
- 2010. An integrated fracture and continuum model for simulating heat and mass transfer in geothermal systems. -. I:
- 2010. IAHR International Groundwater Symposium. IAHR, Valencia.
- Dr. Scient. (Ph.D.), Dept. Mathematics, UoB, Oct 2005
- Cand. Scient. (M.S.), Computational Science, UoB, Sep 2001
- Cand. Mag. (B.S.), Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, UoB, Dec 2000
- Research Leadership Programme (14 days), University of Oslo, 2011 (Module 1), 2013 (Module 2)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (20 ECTS), University of Bergen, 2008
- Associate Professor, Dept. Math., University of Bergen, since January 2006
- Scientific Advisor, CMR Energy, Christian Michelsen Research AS (20% position), since August 2012
Administrative and academic boards and committees
- Member, Faculty board, The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, UiB, 2013-.
- Leader, working group for development of strategy for sustainable energy research and education at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, University of Bergen, 2013-2014.
- Member, Department Council, Department of Mathematics, UiB, 2013-
- Leader, equal rights and anti-discrimination committee, UiB, 2011-2013.
- Member, The Bildung Committee, University of Bergen, 2011-2013.
- Member, equal rights and anti-discrimination committee, UiB, 2010.
- Deputy Member, Committee for first semester studies, UiB, 2008-.
- Faculty board member, The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, UoB, 2005-2006
- Member, The University Board for Education UoB, 2002-2003
- Member of the board, Dept. Mathematics, UoB, 2001
National professional service in working groups, committees and boards
- Boad member, Division for Science, Research Council of Norway, 2015-2019.
- Member, National reference group, Evaluation of the Norwegian academic publishing indicator (“Evaluering av publiseringsindikatoren”), 2013.
- Chairman of the board, Norwegian Center for Geothermal Energy Research, 2012-.
- Board member, EnergiRike, 2012-
- Member, Bergen Chamber Working Group, Network U37, 2010-2011
- Member, Energy21 (national strategy for R&D in the energy sector) working group “Renewable thermal energy”, 2010
International professional service
- Member, Steering Committee, EERA-JPGE, 2014-
- Horizontal Working Group, European Technology Platform – Renewable Heating and Cooling, Common RHC roadmap integrating roadmaps for Geothermal, Solar thermal, Biomass, and Cross-cutting technologies, 2013-2014.
- Vice-spokesperson, International Research Training Group NUPUS (Nonlinearities and Upscaling in PoroUS Media), Research cooperation between University of Bergen, TU Delft, TU Eindhoven, University of Stuttgart, Utrecht University and Wageningen University, 2011-
- Member Steering Committee, Geothermal Technology Panel, European Technology Platform - Renewable Heating and Cooling (ETP-RHC, http://www.rhc-platform.org/cms/), 2011-.
- Member of Mirror Group - EUA-EPUE Geothermal Energy SET Plan Energy
Editorial and referee duties
- Associate Editor, Magne Espedal Special Issue, International Journal of Numerical Analysis and Modeling, 2011.
- Referee for Water Resources Research, Inverse Problems in Science and Engineering, Mathematics and Visualization, Springer book series, IAHS Redbook series, IPCC Special report on renewable energy, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Transport in Porous Media, Physics of Fluids
Mathematical modeling and numerical simulation for enhanced understanding of geothermal reservoir stimulation by shear dilation treatment (GeoStim), 2013-2016 (Funded by Research council of Norway and Akademia agrement)
Mathematical modeling of fracturing of geothermal reservoirs (MoFG) (Funded by BKK)
Geological Storage of CO2: Mathematical Modeling and Risk Assessment (MatMoRA), 2012-2015 (Funded by Research council of Norway and Statoil)
Modeling and simulation of geothermal systems (POGE), 2009-2013 (Funded by Research Council of Norway and Statoil)
Characterization of naturally fractured reservoirs (CFRAC), 2011-2014 (Funded by Akademia agreement)
Educationally related projects
Advancing graduate education in computational mathematics applied to earth science – a joint project between the University of Bergen and Stanford University (AGEC), 2013 (Funded by SIU)
Scientific writing groups for graduate students*, 2011 (Funded by PEK, UoB)
PhD students (* co-advisor):
- Sigvat K. Stensholt*, Lattice-Boltzmann modeling of spatial variation in surface tension and wetting effects, 2010.
- Tor Harald Sandve, Multiscale simulation of flow and heat transport in fractured geothermal reservoirs, 2013.
- Pål Næverlid Sævik
- Carina Bringedal
- Eren Uçar
- Wietse Boon*
- Michael Sargado*