Major Research Areas (basic and human research)
• Role of environmental chemicals in transcriptional responses, particularly nuclear receptor mediated signaling
• Molecular signaling signature of environmental chemicals in adipose tissue and their impact on body weight loss
Major Research Contribution
Our long-term goal is to discover novel biological mechanisms involved in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes and metabolic diseases through the use of xenobiotics (i.e. foreign substances present in living organisms) and to translate this knowledge for developing new therapeutics.
To achieve this goal, we have mainly focused on the metabolic dysregulations induced by persistent organic pollutants (POPs). Using both in vitro and in vivo models, we provided the first experimental evidence that POPs could contribute to Insulin Resistance Syndrome (1). Extending this pioneer work, we demonstrated that the presence of POPs could regulate the beneficial effects of fatty fish intake (2). Translating our experimental findings to humans, we recently showed that obese individuals with normal insulin sensitivity have substantially lower circulating levels of POPs than obese individuals with insulin resistance and cardiometabolic complications (3).
1 Ruzzin, J., et al. Persistent organic pollutant exposure leads to insulin resistance syndrome. Environ Health Perspect 118, 465-471 (2010).
2 Ibrahim, M.M., et al. Chronic consumption of farmed salmon containing persistent organic pollutants causes insulin resistance and obesity in mice. PLoS One 6, e25170 (2011).
3 Gauthier, M.S., et al. The metabolically healthy but obese phenotype is associated with lower plasma levels of persistent organic pollutants as compared to the metabolically abnormal obese phenotype. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 99, E1061-1066 (2014).
- 2017. Er miljøgifter i norsk kosthold skadelig for barn? Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. 137: 295-297. doi: 10.4045/tidsskr.16.0978
- 2016. Gas chromatography/atmospheric pressure chemical ionization/mass spectrometry for the analysis of organochlorine pesticides and polychlorinated biphenyls in human serum. Journal of Chromatography A. 1453: 88-98. doi: 10.1016/j.chroma.2016.05.030
- 2015. Parma consensus statement on metabolic disruptors. Environmental health. 14:19. 7 sider. doi: 10.1186/s12940-015-0042-7
- 2015. Comment on "Contaminant levels in Norwegian farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) in the 13-year period from 1999 to 2011" by Nøstbakken et al. Environment International. 80: 98-99. doi: 10.1016/j.envint.2015.01.003
- 2014. The metabolically healthy but obese phenotype is associated with lower plasma levels of persistent organic pollutants as compared to the metabolically abnormal obese phenotype. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 99: E1061-E1066. doi: 10.1210/jc.2013-3935
- 2014. Environmental pollutants: Downgrading the fish food stock affects chronic disease risk. Journal of Internal Medicine. 276: 240-242. doi: 10.1111/joim.12205
- 2012. Metabolic impacts of high dietary exposure to persistent organic pollutants in mice. Toxicology Letters. 215: 8-15. doi: 10.1016/j.toxlet.2012.09.022
- 2012. Public health concern behind the exposure to persistent organic pollutants and the risk of metabolic diseases. BMC Public Health. 12. 8 sider. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-12-298
- 2012. The secret story of fish: decreasing nutritional value due to pollution? British Journal of Nutrition. 108: 397-399. doi: 10.1017/S0007114512002048
- 2012. Reconsidering metabolic diseases: The impacts of persistent organic pollutants. Atherosclerosis. 224: 1-3. doi: 10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2012.02.039
- 2011. Chronic Consumption of Farmed Salmon Containing Persistent Organic Pollutants Causes Insulin Resistance and Obesity in Mice. PLoS ONE. 6: e25170. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0025170
- 2011. Differential effects of various fish proteins in altering body weight, adiposity, inflammatory status, and insulin sensitivity in high-fat-fed rats. Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental. 60: 1122-1130. doi: 10.1016/j.metabol.2010.12.005
- 2010. Persistent Organic Pollutant Exposure Leads to Insulin Resistance Syndrome. Environmental Health Perspectives. 118: 465-471. doi: 10.1289/ehp.0901321
Most Relevant Publications
D Geng, I E Jogsten, J Dunstan, J Hagberg, J Ruzzin, R Rabasa-Lhoret and B van Bavel. Atmospheric pressure gas chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (APGC-MS/MS) for the analysis of persistent organic pollutants regulated by the Stockholm Convention in human serum. Journal of Chromatography A 1453:88-98, 2016.
JJ Heindel, FS vom Saal, B Blumberg, P Bovolin, G Calamandrei, G Ceresini, BA Cohn, E Fabbri, L Gioiosa, C Kassotis, J Legler, M La Merrill, L Rizzir, R Machtinger, A Mantovani, MA Mendez, L Montanini, L Molteni, SC Nagel, S Parmigiani, G Panzica, S Paterlini, V Pomatto, J Ruzzin, G Sartor, TT Schug, ME Street, A Suvorov, R Volpi, RT Zoeller, P Palanza. Parma consensus statement on metabolic disruptors. Environmental Health 20(14):54, 2015.
M-S Gauthier, R Rabasa-Lhoret, D Prud'homme, A Karelis, D Geng, B van Bavel, and J Ruzzin. The metabolically healthy but obese phenotype is associated with lower plasma levels of persistent organic pollutants as compared to the metabolically abnormal obese phenotype. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 99(6):E1061-6, 2014.
DR Jacobs Jr, J Ruzzin, and DH Lee. Environmental pollutants: downgrading the fish food stock affects chronic disease risk. Journal of Internal Medicine 276(3):240-2, 2014.
J Ruzzin Chapter 6. Mechanistic basis for elevation in risk of diabetes caused by persistent organic pollutant. (2013) Published in ”Effects of persistent and bioactive organic pollutants on human health”. Edited by David O. Carpenter. John Wiley & Sons.
MM Ibrahim, E Fjære, EJ Lock, H Amlund, L Frøyland, N Jessen, S Lund, H Vidal, and J Ruzzin. Metabolic impacts of high dietary exposure to persistent organic pollutants in mice. Toxicology Letters, 215:8-15, 2012.
J Ruzzin, DH Lee, DO Carpenter, and D Jacobs Jr. Reconsidering metabolic diseases: the impacts of persistent organic pollutants. Atherosclerosis 224:1-3, 2012.
MM Ibrahim, E Fjære, EJ Lock, D Naville, H Amlund, E Meugnier, B Le Magueresse Battistoni, L Frøyland, L Madsen, N Jessen, S Lund, H Vidal, and J Ruzzin. Chronic consumption of diet with farmed salmon containing persistent organic pollutants causes insulin resistance and obesity in mice. PLoS ONE 6(9): e25170, 2011.
J Ruzzin, R Petersen, E Meugnier, L Madsen, EJ Lock, H Lillefosse, T Ma, S Pesenti, S Sonne, TT Marstrand, MK Malde, ZY Du, C Chavey, L Fajas, AK Lundebye, CL Brand, H Vidal, K Kristiansen, L Frøyland. Persistent organic pollutant exposure leads to insulin resistance syndrome. Environmental Health Perspectives 118:465-71, 2010.
2011- : Researcher (PI). Department of Biology, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway.
2008-2011: Post Doc (PI). National Institute of Nutrition and Seafood Research, Bergen, Norway.
2006-2007: Fellowship. University Hospital Research Center, Quebec, Canada (Lab Director: Pr. A. Marette).
2001-2005: Doctor Scientiarum. Department of Physiology, National Institute of Occupational Health and University of Sports, Oslo, Norway (Supervisor: Dr. J. Jensen). “Cellular mechanisms for insulin resistance in skeletal muscles and effects of contraction: Studies in rats fed with carbohydrate solutions or treated with dexamethasone”.
On-going research activities
Role of Xenobiotics in Metabolic Diseases: A Translational Approach. Principal Investigator. Financed by Research Council of Norway (RCN) -FRIMEDBIO programme
Endocrine disruptors and obesity. Principal investigator.
Previous research activities
Signaling impairments GeNerated by Endocrine Disruptors. Principal investigator. Financed by RCN (2013-2016).
Searching the origin of the insulin resistance syndrome. Principal investigator. Financed by RCN (2011-2013).
Role of marine food to fight metabolic syndrome: evaluating the benefits and risks. Principal investigator. Financed by RCN (2009-2012).
Salmon oil and contaminants: impacts on insulin sensitivity and metabolic diseases. Principal investigator. Financed by RCN (2008-2011).