Geodynamics of rifted passive margins
Coupling tectonics, surface processes, and climate
Links between tectonics, magmatism, and fluid flow
2D / 3D forward modelling and computational fluid dynamics
Finite element code development
- 2017. Orogen-scale uplift in the central Italian Apennines drives episodic behaviour of earthquake faults. Scientific Reports. doi: 10.1038/srep44858
- 2015. First-order control of syntectonic sedimentation on crustal-scale structure of mountain belts. Journal of Geophysical Research - Solid Earth. 120: 5362-5377. doi: 10.1002/2014JB011785
- 2014. Extensional inheritance and surface processes as controlling factors of mountain belt structure. Journal of Geophysical Research - Solid Earth. 119: 9042-9061. doi: 10.1002/2014JB011408
- 2014. Evaluating balanced section restoration with thermochronology data: A case study from the Central Pyrenees. Tectonics. 33: 617-634. doi: 10.1002/2013TC003481
- 2014. Effects of lithosphere buckling on subsidence and hydrocarbon maturation: A case-study from the ultra-deep East Barents Sea basin. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 407: 123-133. doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2014.09.029
- 2014. Rifted continental margins: The case for depth-dependent extension. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 407: 148-162. doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2014.09.032
- 2014. Lateral variation in structural style of mountain building: Controls of rheological and rift inheritance. Terra Nova. 26: 201-207. doi: 10.1111/ter.12087
- 2014. Controls of initial topography on temporal and spatial patterns of glacial erosion. Geomorphology. 223: 96-116. doi: 10.1016/j.geomorph.2014.06.028
- 2014. Three-dimensional numerical simulations of crustal systems undergoing orogeny and subjected to surface processes. Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems. 15: 4936-4957. doi: 10.1002/2014GC005490
- 2013. 3D numerical modelling of graben interaction and linkage: a case study of the Canyonlands grabens, Utah. Basin Research. 25: 436-449. doi: 10.1111/bre.12010
- 2013. Syntectonic sedimentation effects on the growth of fold-and-thrust belts. Geology. 41: 83-86. doi: 10.1130/G33531.1
- 2013. Syntectonic sedimentation controls on the evolution of the southern Pyrenean fold-and-thrust belt: Inferences from coupled tectonic-surface processes models. Journal of Geophysical Research - Solid Earth. 118: 5665-5680. doi: 10.1002/jgrb.50368
- 2013. Formation of intracratonic basins by lithospheric shortening and phase changes: a case study from the ultra-deep East Barents Sea basin. Terra Nova. 25: 459-464. doi: 10.1111/ter.12057
- 2013. Control of lithosphere rheology on subduction polarity at initiation: Insights from 3D analogue modelling. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 361: 219-228. doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2012.10.026
- 2013. Rifting assisted by shear heating and formation of the Lomonosov Ridge. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 373: 31-40. doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2013.04.042
- 2012. Factors controlling the mode of rift interaction in brittle-ductile coupled systems: A 3D numerical study. Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems. 13. 18 sider. doi: 10.1029/2012GC004077
- 2012. On the origin of the ultradeep East Barents Sea basin. Journal of Geophysical Research - Solid Earth. 117. 16 sider. doi: 10.1029/2011JB008533
- 2012. Low seismic velocities below mid-ocean ridges: Attenuation versus melt retention. Journal of Geophysical Research - Solid Earth. 117. 19 sider. doi: 10.1029/2012JB009637
- 2012. Structural styles of mountain building: Controls of lithospheric rheologic stratification and extensional inheritance. Journal of Geophysical Research - Solid Earth. 117. 22 sider. doi: 10.1029/2012JB009376
- 2012. Bimodal Plio-Quaternary glacial erosion of fjords and low-relief surfaces in Scandinavia. Nature Geoscience. 5: 635-639. doi: 10.1038/NGEO1549
- 2011. Three-dimensional numerical modeling of upper crustal extensional systems. Journal of Geophysical Research - Solid Earth. 116. 15 sider. Publisert 2011-08-15. doi: 10.1029/2011JB008319
- 2011. Depth-dependent extension, two-stage breakup and cratonic underplating at rifted margins. Nature. 473: 74-U85. doi: 10.1038/nature09988
- 2011. Modellling compression along a previously extended plate boundary; subduction vs. Obduction along the Iberian – Eurasian margin. Abstracts and Proceedings of the Geological Society of Norway. 1. 62-62.
- 2009. Dynamical modelling of lithospheric extension and small-scale convection: implications for magmatism during the formation of volcanic rifted margins. Geophysical Journal International. 176: 327-350. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-246X.2008.03891.x
- 2008. DOUAR: A new three-dimensional creeping flow numerical model for the solution of geological problems. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors. 171. 76-91. doi: 10.1016/j.pepi.2008.05.003
- 2008. Dissipation Analysis as a Guide to Mode Selection during Crustal Extension and Implications for the Styles of Sedimentary Basins. Journal of Geophysical Research. 113. doi: 10.1029/2007JB005272
- 2008. Thinning of continental backarc lithosphere by flow-induced gravitational instability. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 269: 435-446. doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2008.02.037
- 2008. Complex rifted continental margins explained by dynamical models of depth-dependent lithospheric extension. Geology. 36: 163-166. doi: 10.1130/G24231A.1
- 2008. Three dimensional dynamic numerical modelling of rifts and passive margins. META. 1. 6-10.
- 2007. The fate of subducted sediments: A case for backarc intrusion and underplating. Geology. 35: 1111-1114. doi: 10.1130/G24098A.1
- 2007. Roles of lithospheric strain softening and heterogeneity in determining the geometry of rifts and continental margins. Geological Society Special Publication. 282. 107-134. doi: 10.1144/SP282.6
- 2007. A numerical model for coupled fluid flow and matrix deformation with applications to disequilibrium compaction and delta stability. Journal of Geophysical Research. 112. doi: 10.1029/2006JB004701
Full publication list at:
Huismans, R.S. Beaumont, Depth-dependent extension, two-stage breakup and cratonic underplating at rifted margins, Nature, 473, 2011. doi:10.1038/nature09988.
Huismans, R.S. Beaumont, Contrasting Characteristics of Rifted Continental Margins Explained by Depth-Dependent Lithospheric Extension: Effects of Detachment and Strong and Weak Lower Crust, EPSL 2014
Steer, P., Huismans, R.S., Valla, P.G., Gac, S., and Herman, F., Bimodal Plio–Quaternary glacial erosion of fjords and low-relief surfaces in Scandinavia, Nature Geoscience, DOI: 10.1038/NGEO1549.
Jammes, S. Huismans, R.S., Munoz, J.A., Lateral variation in structural style of mountain building: controls of rheological and rift inheritance, Terra Nova, 2013.
Fillon, C., Huismans, R.S., and van der Beek, P., Wedge-top sedimentation effects on the growth of fold-and-thrust belts, Geology 2013.
Gac, S., Huismans, R.S., Simon, N., Podladchikov, Y.Y., Faleide, J.I., Formation of intra-cratonic basins by lithospheric shortening and phase changes – a case study from the ultra-deep East Barents Sea basin, Terra Nova, 2013.
Allken, V., R. S. Huismans, and C. Thieulot (2012), Factors controlling the mode of rift interaction in brittle-ductile coupled 30 systems: A 3D numerical study, Geochem. Geophys. Geosyst., 13, QXXXXX, doi:10.1029/2012GC004077.
Erdős, Z., Huismans, R.S., van der Beek, P., Extensional inheritance and surface processes as controlling factors of mountain belt structure, J. Geophysical Research in press.
Topo-Europe project Pyrtec: Coupling between tectonics and surface processes during lithosphere inversion of the Pyrenean-Cantabrian mountain belt
Earth System Modelling (Statoil)
Barents Sea Paleozoic basement and basin configurations (BarPz) (Petromaks-RCN)
Integrated Orogen-Sedimentary Basin Studies (Brazil-Norway collaboration)