Jørgen Christian Meyer
Department of Archaeology, History, Cultural Studies and Religion
Research Group Ancient history, culture and religion
Phone: +47 55 58 23 10
Visiting address: Øysteinsgate 3
- Palmyra and the surrounding territory. http://www.org.uib.no/palmyrena/
- The Past in the present. The perception and use of Antiquity.http://www.hist.uib.no/antikk/eftertid/fortiden.htm
- Comparative history/Social-anthropological history
- Indian Ocean in Antiquity
- Relations between the Orient and the Occident
Roman Coins as a Source for Roman Trading Activities in the Indian Ocean. In E.H. Seland, E.H. (ed.) Definite places, translocal exchange , (BAR International Series). 59-69. Oxford. 2007.
What have the Romans ever done for us? How to Win Wars and also the Peace. In Tønnes Bekker-Nielsen (ed.), Rome and the Black Sea Region. Domination, Romanisation, Resistance (Black Sea Studies, 8). 133-151, Aarhus, 2006
Trade in Bronze Age and Iron Age Empires. In P. F. Bang, Mamoru Ikeguchi and Hartmut G. Ziche, (eds.) Ancient Economies, Modern Methodologies. Archaeology, comparative history, models and institutions. 89-106. Bari 2006.
Women in Classical Athens - In the shadow of North-West Europe or in the Light from Istanbul. In Ingvar B. Mæhle and Inger Marie Okkenhaug (eds.) Women and Religion in the Middle East and the Mediterranean, 19-48. Oslo 2004.
Omens, Prophecies, and Oracles in Ancient Decisionmaking. In K. Ascani, V. Gabrielsen, K. Kvist, A.H. Rasmussen (eds.), Ancient History Matters (Studies Presented to Jens Erik Skydsgaard on His Seventieth Birthday), 173-184. Roma 2002.
From a Turkish Village to Republican Rome. Ideology, Mentality and Control. In W. Eder (ed.), Staat und Staatlichkeit in der frhhen römischen Republik, 258-277, Stuttgart. 1990.
Archaic Greece, a Case of Ancient Modernization. In Christiansen E. & E. Hallager (eds.), Studies in Ancient History and Numismatics. Homage volume to R. Thomsen, Aarhus 1988.
Pre-Republican Rome. An Analysis of the Cultural and Chronological Relations 1000-500 B.C. (Analecta Romana Instituti Danici, supplementum XI. Roma). Odense 1983.
- Trade, migration and cultural change in the Indian Ocean (The Norwegian Research Council). 2001-2004. (Norwegian Research Council).
- Palmyrena. City, Hinterland and Caravan Trade between the Orient and Occident, (Norwegian Research Council). A joint Syrian Norwegian project. 2009-2012. Head of the project. Responsible for the relations between Palmyra and the hinterland in the Roman period.http://www.hist.uib.no/antikk/Dias/Palmyrenax.htm