Studies on the Sudan has a long tradition and forms an important part of Middle Eastern and African studies at Bergen. Among the events and resources for such research are:
R.S. O'Fahey, The Darfur Sultanate: A History. London: Hurst 2008.
This book presents an analytical narrative of Darfur, from the beginnings of its recorded history onwards. This work focuses on three themes: Darfur's complex history and its equally complex ethnic and ecological issues. It covers various phases of Darfur's history - under the sultans (1650-1916), under the British (1916-56) and since independence (1956).
- On 13 June 2008, Elena Vezzadini successfully defended her Ph.D. thesis, "The 1924 Revolution; Hegemony, Resistence and Nationalism in the Colonial Sudan"
Lectures and seminars
- 23.10.08: Jerôme Tubiana (Paris), "Chad, Another Darfur? Links between Two Crises", & "Darfur, Chad: Humanitarianism Challenged"
- 24.9.08: Munzoul A.M. Assal (Khartoum), "The National Congress Party and the Darfur Crisis
- 24.9.08: Kassahun Berhanu Alemu (Addis Ababa), "Abyei: The Achilles Heel of Peace in Sudan"
- 11.6.08: Endre Stiansen (PRIO, Oslo), "International, National or Something in Between? The Assessment and Evaluation Commission of the Sudan's Comprehensive Peace Agreement."
- 5.2.08: Samah H. Abd Alghaffar (Khartoum): "Political Transformation in Eastern Sudan: The Beja Congress in Kassala and Gedarif States",
Azza Mustafa Babikir Ahmed (Khartoum), "The Beja Congress and their struggle against marginalization", and
Rasha Abdelhafeez (Khartoum), "NGO's intervention in Eastern Sudan: The Case of Kassala State".
- 16.1.08: Guma Kunda and Enrico Ille (Halle), "Land-Based Conflicts in the Nuba Mountains.
- 10-11.5.07: Workshop: Sudan - the colonial experience. Lectures by Fadwa Taha (Khartoum), Randi Håland (Bergen), Salah M. Ahmad (Khartoum), Irma Taddia (Bologna), Massimo Zaccharia (Pavia).
- On 6-8 April 2006, the 7th International Sudan Studies conference was held in Bergen, with the theme: "Fifty Years After Independence: Sudan's Quest for Peace, Stability and Identity"
Recent master theses
- Agnes Rokkan, '(Indirect rule and the tribal system of south-central Sudan)' (History, 2008)
- Ida Dyrkorn Heierland, 'Artifacts, Interests and Agencies: The Politics of Sudan Archaeology' (Archaeology, 2008)
- Marte Teie Hellum: 'Who are you? Self-consciousness: certainty and incertainty in the Nuba Mountains, Sudan' (2007, Anthropology) *
- Marit Vambheim, 'Peace-making in the southern Sudanese civil war, 1965-66' (History, 2007)
- Mahmoud Suliman Beshir, 'Iron objects from Meroitic and Post-Meroitic periods discussion on chronology, contexts and rituals' (Archaeology, 2006)
- Ghefari Fadlallh Elsayed: 'The politics of Difference and Boundary Making among the Nuba and the Baggara of Southern Kordofan State, Sudan' (2006, Anthropology)
- Gunnar Thune, 'The inspector general: the career of Baron Sir Rudolf von Slatin Pasha in the Sudan' (History, 2005)
- Liv Tønnessen, 'Islamism and democracy: an inquiry into the political thought of the Sudanese Islamist Hassan al-Turabi' (Political Science, 2005)
- Håkon Taule Njøs, 'Unity of the Nile valley or an independent Sudan? British-Egyptian conflicts and Sudan's path to independence 1936-1956' (History, 2004) *
* = in Norwegian
- The Mahmoud Salih collection
A large book collection on the Sudan, deposited at the Centre for Middle Eastern Studies.
- The Collins Collection
Prof. R.O. Collins donated a part of his library of African and Sudan-related books to the Centre before his death.
- Sudanic Africa
An academic journal of historical sources. "Sudanic" refers to all of the Sudanic Belt, Atlantic to Indian Ocean, but includes a number of articles on the Nilotic Sudan as well.
- Darfur website
An archive of material on Darfur, its history and culture. It contains primary and secondary material. Maintained by R.S. O'Fahey.
- Nuba mountain languages
A report on the usage of non-Arabic languages in the Nuba mountains in 1976, from the Language Survey of the Sudan. Prepared by Herman Bell.
On the Cush project of Nubian archaeology, language, history and architecture. Prepared by Herman Bell.
- Sudan studies in Bergen
An historical survey (dated 1993) of Sudan studies in Bergen.
See also the general surveys of research in Bergen, where Sudan appears regularly:
- Research Staff in Bergen
- Library holdings
Last updated 29.3.2009