What is UNO?
Teenage Language (Språkkontakt och Ungdomsspråk
- is a research project and a network for Nordic researchers
studying teenage language
- is directed by professor Anna-Brita
Stenström at the English department, University of Bergen, and
Kotsinas at the department of Nordic languages, Stockholm University.
- is sponsored by the Nordic Council of Ministers (Nordisk Ministerråd).
- is a part of the research program Europe and The Nordic Countries,
Norden och Europa
THE RESEARCH PROJECT
- aims to investigate and compare the spoken and the informal written
language of Nordic teenagers, through the collaboration of Nordic researchers.
- has as its main aim to investigate language change in the Nordic countries,
in light of international (mainly English) influence and inter- Nordic
contact. As regards the influence from English, the project aims at comparing
the language of Nordic teenagers to that of London teenagers in the COLT
corpus (The Bergen Corpus of London Teenage Language).
- focuses on two main areas of research: lexical analysis, ie
the study of slang and informal loanwords (The
slang study), and discourse analysis, ie research on speech
styles and the use of discourse markers (Spoken
- will create and maintain cooperation between the Nordic countries in
a number of ways, eg by means of:
- network meetings
for young researchers
- an electronic mailing
- possibly a publication series
- different kinds of information on the projectÕs homepage, including:
Last updated: 1 October 1997 by Kristine